Safe workshop heater?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattias87

Established Member
Reaction score
My workshop is poorly insulated but as it is rented I can't do much about it. It gets quite cold and as low down as 2c. I am looking to get a heater in to bring the temperature up when applying finish or glue but I wanted to make sure I got one that was safe and wasn't going to be a fire hazard.

I had looked at the De'Longhi Bend Line 2kW Oscilating Tower Ceramic Heater as it is meant to have good put out and not cost the earth to run. I just wanted to check if it was safe or if anyone had an alternative?

as it is meant to have good put out and not cost the earth to run
it's a 2kw heater so will use about 2kw. Most electric heaters are the same efficiency, they just heat is slightly different ways. If you put in 2kw, you'll get out ~2kw doesn't matter if it's an oil radiator or a fan heater. It'll be about 60p/hour depending on your tarriff.

A fan heater or ceramic heater will heat the area quickly but temp will quickly drop if you turn it off as there is no residual heat. Oil panel radiator will take longer to heat the room but will maintain it for longer.

If you aren't going to be in there for long somethign like a ceramic heater could be more 'efficient' in that use case. I would however suggest perhaps looking at a wall or ceiling mounted unit so it is less likely you will knock something onto it and set things on fire.
Also be careful of aerosols/wood dust as it could get to concentrations that could explode (probably not hugely likely but it is possible)

presumably cost will be a factor of the KW rating - I have a 2KW oil filled radiator which is pretty inert as far as fire risk and works well... I would expect it to cost the same to run as it is also 2KW. I would avoid anything with a fan which moves dust around...

My workshop is poorly insulated
You don't mention the size of your workshop, which is crucial.

A 2kw heater might go unnoticed in my workshop.

I have a 5kw Chinese diesel heater which brings the temp up a few degrees.

After doing a bit of turning just now, in an unheated garage the thing I would have liked the most is to have warm tools! I was perfectly fine in my body temp but holding a metal tool that is 5degrees is the bit that causes the problem.

It is hard to plan ahead but I think keeping your toolbox in the house would significantly help with overall feeling of warmth when you come to use them.

Or perhaps haivng some kind of tool warmer? even a hotwater bottle in a cardboard box would make things a lot nicer to hold.

I use a 1960s Calor gas SUPER SER soon warms up my single ex garage Just be sensable where it is placed

Is it possible to make a small partioned room for glue ups and spraying? You could insulate it well and it would retain heat from a small heater?

I use a 1960s Calor gas SUPER SER soon warms up my single ex garage Just be sensable where it is placed
Fast heat, but causes lots of water vapor and raises humidity if unvented to outside.
Also note
It is immaterial whether your workshop is well ventilated; the carbon monoxide can accumulate to more significant levels that become dangerous. Exposure to carbon monoxide may cause nausea, dizziness, and even fatality. Additionally, ventless gas heaters produce water vapour. This raises the humidity levels in the shop.

The 1kW dust extractor is quite good at warming my small workshop.
I also use an oil-filled radiator set on low to keep things above 5°C when I’m not there.

The 1kW dust extractor is quite good at warming my small workshop.
I also use an oil-filled radiator set on low to keep things above 5°C when I’m not there.
You are not wrong there. Its the same in the house when using the vacuum. Most of the work it's doing turns to heat (and sound) so it's effectively a 1kw fan heater.

Most electrical devices in winter become pretty much 100% efficient if you also require heat.

I ran a dessicant dehumidifier in my single garage workshop last winter and although it doesn't make a lot of heat, it does consume / put out about 350W in the process of drying the air. The combo of drier air and a little warmth made a bigger difference to comfort than I expected.

Also have a "trotec" 3kW workshop fan heater. It has big elements like the ones that were standard on an electric hob / cooker. It is no more efficient than any fan heater but the elements never become red hot and are fairly open spaced so I reckon there is less risk of it capturing or igniting sawdust.

I think a chinese diesel heater will be next but the exhaust gets very hot so yes a fire risk and I need some recommendations of "less poor" brands or UK sellers.

Electric will be expensive to run, but it is the safest option.
You do not say what size your workshop is. which is important for a reason so far not mentioned. Anything with a fan on it will not be able to blow the heat very far. so you may be better running more than one heater around the workshop but on lower settings. This would also offer the chance to site one in a key are you may use for finishing or the storage of paints, polishes and glues etc.

Colin

Thank you everyone for the input.

The workshop is 5m x 5.5m with a ceiling around 3m.

Back