Rutlands Warning!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So today Rutlands have 'factory seconds' sale: https://www.rutlands.com/collections/factory-specials
as with any company who are clever at marketing - no idea exactly what that means... however, if you want an air filter / disc and belt sander / bobbin sander / etc. which are are simply badged versions of the same machine being sold by many others - then the prices are very good... it is this type of sale worth waiting for with a company like Rutlands...

So today Rutlands have 'factory seconds' sale: https://www.rutlands.com/collections/factory-specials
as with any company who are clever at marketing - no idea exactly what that means... however, if you want an air filter / disc and belt sander / bobbin sander / etc. which are are simply badged versions of the same machine being sold by many others - then the prices are very good... it is this type of sale worth waiting for with a company like Rutlands...
Definitely looks like re-badged China 'stuff'. Pity about the colour! Like the Model 'T' - any shade of black.

Definitely looks like re-badged China 'stuff'. Pity about the colour! Like the Model 'T' - any shade of black.
Oh I am sure it is! The point is more that if you are going to buy re-badged chinese kit you might as well pay less for it!
I quite like the black :)

I see note: Factory specials - this batch are brand new, in perfect condition with a 3 year warranty, supplied in obsolete packaging.

I'm always amazed how much stock Rutlands seem to have which is in obsolete packaging...........
The cynic in me agrees that it is probably a marketing 'technique' - the yorkshire / scottish blood in me is happy to pay less!

1711577911183.png

factory specials page down

Last edited:
I’ve had a few things from Rutlands, in obsolete packaging. They came in cardboard boxes.

The non-obsolete stuff must be some space age dung.

The cynic in me agrees that it is probably a marketing 'technique' - the yorkshire / scottish blood in me is happy to pay less!
I’ve bought a few of their factory specials and a few things not on factory special. Everything has arrived in the same non-descript brown corrugated cardboard so I suspect it’s all bullshit.

I’m always suspicious of Rutland’s. The fact they only publish 5 star reviews is worrying. It’s also very clear that’s what they’re doing so I’d assume it has the opposite effect to anyone with a couple of brain cells.

That said everything I’ve bought has been decent quality. My guess is they’re rebadging Chinese stuff but they’re discerning and selecting the better options from the factories rather than the Titan method which seems to be to rebadge any old rubbish so it’s a gamble whether you get anything good.

I wouldn’t buy any big machinery or anything which requires a higher level of precision from them though.

My latest purchase from Rutland's is a mitre gauge and fence for my table saw.
On special offer and a big improvement on the fence supplied with the saw.
Do I feel conned?, no ! very happy with it and at a good price.
Oh did come in a brown cardboard box, so no pretty pictures, but very comprehensive instructions.

I'm always amazed how much stock Rutlands seem to have which is in obsolete packaging...........
Obsolete packaging is a way to get around selling items for a lower price than recommended so that other dealers can't have a go at them for price dumping. It's used everywhere in retailing (B stock with no visible sign of any damage or anything wrong with it) It keeps the manufacturers sweet ! Although I dont think the Chinese give a toss about what anyone thinks as long as people buy their products (which are getting better) I'm in Austria and used to buy from them, stopped for a while while their €150 minimum was forced upon me, but am now happy to buy again. I've never had anything bad from them and service has always been fast.
Cheers
Andrew

They manufacture exactly what they're asked to manufacture by the buyer. If it's garbage that's what's been ordered.
Not so.

Some time back i was asked by my children what I wanted for Christmas. Mine being worn out, I asked for pair of good-quality pillows. The kids went to John Lewis and bought two pillows to spec: Goose & Duck, Down & Feather. They arrived, i unpacked them and put them on the bed.

The first one was excellent: soft, resilient, comfortable. The second was IMPOSSIBLE: no sooner did you put your head down than you felt something pricking into your ear, or your cheek. You'd move the pillow, turn it upside down, move your head - whatever. No good.

The two pillows looked identical; had identical EAN numbers. I finally got fed up and took them back to John Lewis, and sought out the Bedding Departmental Manager, to ask him what had happened.

His eyes rolled up into his forehead. "Oh no; it's the Chinese AGAIN ! We get this with them all the time. We put out a spec. for a new product. The Chinese bid is half anyone else's. We are suspicious; ask for a sample. It's excellent. We put in an initial 'trial order'; it's fine. We put in a full-size order; it's fine too."

"Some time around the third or fourth full order, EVERYTHING changes: it's rubbish. We throw it back at them, demand our money back, tell them we will never deal with them again. We have dozens of people permanently in China, checking up on factories, raw materials, manufacturing, packaging, despatch etc., to make sure that what gets down to the dock at Pudong IS what we ordered."

"In this case, I can guess what has happened: in place of 'Goose & Duck, Down & Feather', they have switched to 'Duck & Goose, Feather & Down'. So: less goose than duck; more spiny feathers, less soft down. That will have reduced their filling costs by more than half. And look at the covering: we specified "Lancashire Ticking" a world standard for a tightly-woven cotton that doesn't let anything poke through. They have substituted similar-LOOKING 'scrim' - with a more open weave that offers no protection."

"So when we put out our specification, the Chinese will have prepared two: one, to our exact spec.; the other, to a spec. that would allow them a profit margin at the low price they had bid. They "baited & switched" when they thought we were hooked on the product and the well-running logistics"

"We are increasingly moving our sourcing away from China and towards Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia or Bangla Desh".

I now buy a strict minimum of tools and supplies from China, and only on the basis that I can treat it like toilet-paper: Use once, then throw away.

Last edited:
Not so.

Some time back i was asked by my children what I wanted for Christmas. Mine being worn out, I asked for pair of good-quality pillows. The kids went to John Lewis and bought two pillows to spec: Goose & Duck, Down & Feather. They arrived, i unpacked them and put them on the bed.

The first one was excellent: soft, resilient, comfortable. The second was IMPOSSIBLE: no sooner did you put your head down than you felt something pricking into your ear, or your cheek. You'd move pillow, turn it upside down, move your head - whatever. No good.

The two pillows looked identical; had identical EAN numbers. I finally got fed up and took them back to John Lewis, and sought out the Bedding Departmental Manager, to ask him what had happened.

His eyes rolled up into his forehead. "Oh no; it's the Chinese AGAIN ! We get this with them all the time. We put out a spec. for a new product. The Chinese bid is half anyone else's. We are supicious; ask for a sample. It's excellent. We put in an initial 'trial order'; it's fine. We put in a full-size order; it's fine too."

"Some time around the third or fourth full order, EVERYTHING changes: it's rubbish. We throw it back at them, demand our money back, tell them we will never deal with them again. We have dozens of people permanently in China, checking up on factories, raw materials, manufacturing, packaging, despatch etc., to make sure that what gets down to the dock at Pudong IS what we ordered."

"In this case, I can guess what has happened: in place of 'Goose & Duck, Down & Feather', they have switched to 'Duck & Goose, Feather & Down'. So: less goose than duck; more spiny feathers, less soft down. That will have reduced their filling costs by more than half. And look at the covering: we specified "Lancashire Ticking" a world standard for a tightly-woven cotton that doesn't let anything poke through. They have substituted similar-LOOKING 'scrim' - with a more open weave that offers no protection."

"So when we put out our specification, the Chinese will have prepared two: one, to our exact spec.; the other, to a spec. that would allow them a profit margin at the low price they had bid. They switched when they thought we were 'hooked' on the product and the well-running logistics"

"We are increasingly moving our sourcing away from China and towards, Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia or Bangla Desh".

I now buy a strict minimum of tools and supplies from China, and only on the basis that I can treat it like toilet-paper: Use once, then throw away.

So JL are to blame as they have people there supposedly inspecting, but obviously not doing their job properly.

So JL are to blame as they have people there supposedly inspecting, but obviously not doing their job properly.
We all rely on quality assurance systems which combine factory assessment with sampling of goods supplied etc ……of course you can have every single pillow checked & tested etc if your will to pay £50 each sir

They manufacture exactly what they're asked to manufacture by the buyer. If it's garbage that's what's been ordered.
We had ordered guitars from China, first samples were great, first delivery fine, then downhill from there. Returning faulty items is usually unviable. It's a lottery!!
Cheers
Andrew

Well apparently they’ve got the floor manager for the bedding department at a regional JL store handling the Chinese factories so I’m not surprised somethings gone wrong.

Back