Rutlands IT system

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willis

Established Member
Reaction score
Just tried to order some items from Rutlands and I get this message

"Your order could not be processed because...
The following fields must be completed:

* Sorry! This email address is already registered on the site.

Please complete these fields and resubmit the form. Thank you.

* Go Back"

So if you want to re-order online you can't......

I am sure thats not right but very frustrating

Mark

Hi Mark

The Rutlands site fails miserably in Firefox. I tried to order stuff myself and got the same errors.

I wrote them a nice email telling them all about it and with the spec of my machine and browser version number to help them resolve the issue so they didn't lose money.

I got an email back telling me that its only a firefox issue and their web developers told them that its an irrelevant browser that only a few people use.

I dont order from them any more.

We switched to Firefox ages ago as it's quicker, more stable and more secure than IE. Guess I won't be ordering from Rutlands either then

Willis - have you ordered from them before? I only ask as they have an "express checkout" system which remembers your details from previous orders, and you need to enter your e-mail address and password (which you designated at the time of the earlier order).

Cheers

Karl

big soft moose":39886ihf said:
mickthetree":39886ihf said:
Didn't like Rutlands tone of voice.

Dont use them anymore.

i wonder if rutland can spot a trend here :roll:

Yes, they probably can. The trend of cutting off one's nose to spite one's face I think it's called.

I'm not going to Tesco anymore because their carriers are blue!

Mike

Sawdust":20c7ck8o said:
big soft moose":20c7ck8o said:
mickthetree":20c7ck8o said:

Dont use them anymore.

Yes, they probably can. The trend of cutting off one's nose to spite one's face I think it's called.

i was thinking more of the number of people who wont use them because of their staffs poor attitude - they are already notorious for poor customer service if anything goes wrong with the order ( I havent used them since their customer service guy called me a liar when i rang up to complain about a router plate being delivered bent for example)

Others on here have experienced terible service over late or non appearing deliveries , and again wont use them in the future

while still others have ordered items that puport to be on sale but then been charged full price because sale stock ran out (thinking particularly of the debacle last year where the "sale" only actually applied to one plane

and now we find that they dont want your buisness if you use firefox.

you would think that rutlands senior management might spot this trend before they go bust, but i dont really care - if they dont they'll get what they deserve and their loss is axminster/toolpost/workshop heaven etcs gain

Karl":1vnr96mt said:
Willis - have you ordered from them before? I only ask as they have an "express checkout" system which remembers your details from previous orders, and you need to enter your e-mail address and password (which you designated at the time of the earlier order).

Cheers

Karl

What he said... Did the exact same thing myself two days ago.

Well, erm, I use Firefox and successfully placed an order with Rutlands yesterday morning... ? :duno:

Have you updated to the very latest version? I haven't, yet. Maybe that's it?

big soft moose":3i356rx5 said:
Sawdust":3i356rx5 said:
big soft moose":3i356rx5 said:
mickthetree":3i356rx5 said:

Dont use them anymore.

i was thinking more of the number of people who wont use them because of their staffs poor attitude - they are already notorious for poor customer service if anything goes wrong with the order ( I havent used them since their customer service guy called me a liar when i rang up to complain about a router plate being delivered bent for example)

Others on here have experienced terible service over late or non appearing deliveries , and again wont use them in the future

while still others have ordered items that puport to be on sale but then been charged full price because sale stock ran out (thinking particularly of the debacle last year where the "sale" only actually applied to one plane

and now we find that they dont want your buisness if you use firefox.

you would think that rutlands senior management might spot this trend before they go bust, but i dont really care - if they dont they'll get what they deserve and their loss is axminster/toolpost/workshop heaven etcs gain

Fair enough about their poor customer service although I've ordered plenty from them and never had a problem so have never experienced it.

As for the comment about Firefox - so what? supporting multiple browsers costs money which ultimately the customer pays for. So if it doesn't work with Firefox, use IE for 5 mins, what's the big deal, it's just a browser, they all have good and bad points. That's why I mentioned cutting off noses to spite faces.

Cheers
Mike

Sawdust":3w3k28w2 said:
As for the comment about Firefox - so what? supporting multiple browsers costs money which ultimately the customer pays for. So if it doesn't work with Firefox, use IE for 5 mins, what's the big deal, it's just a browser, they all have good and bad points. That's why I mentioned cutting off noses to spite faces.

fair enough ( I usually use chrome anyway) but my point was that the response is symptomatic of their instutional bad attitude

there is a world of difference between saying

" dear mr bloggs we are sorry to say that our system doesnt currently support firefox, however if you place the order using chrome or IE I am sure there will be no problem, we apologise for any inconvenience this causes you and thankyou for shoping at rutlands"

and what they (reportedly) actually said

"its only a firefox issue and their web developers told them that its an irrelevant browser that only a few people use"

Sawdust":16iih6ob said:
supporting multiple browsers costs money

No, not really. Not the sort of money that would make it not viable. We're talking about a couple of hours to a coder who knows his apples.

I use a combination of Chrome and FF. Annoyingly neither give me everything I need.

wizer":3k9gk2c3 said:
Sawdust":3k9gk2c3 said:
supporting multiple browsers costs money

No, not really. Not the sort of money that would make it not viable. We're talking about a couple of hours to a coder who knows his apples.

I use a combination of Chrome and FF. Annoyingly neither give me everything I need.

I wrote an article on it for our last newsletter. It's saddening how many sites are this way.

I have to say though that I've had no issues yet with the site that could be down to browser compatibility. I wouldn't use anything other than Firefox for security reasons (NoScript rocks!), and I even run the IE browser engine from within Firefox, using IE Tab.

I ordered yesterday (saved myself about £35 because of their Easter discounts). So far their staff have been prompt, courteous, helpful, and done what they said they would.

I did get a database error (SQL string) after voluntarily backing out of my first attempt at the transaction (I changed the order last-minute), but the order completed correctly on the second attempt, despite the SQL error in red at the top of the screen!

I also rang them first thing today, to add something I'd forgotten. Time will tell if I succeeded, and if I get the sale discount on that item, but the person concerned was helpful, found the original order details, and apparently got it quickly sorted. I'm pretty confident that it will be in the consignment.

I also rang them later to confirm the payment had gone through. GE Capital were being awkward over my credit card and had blocked a later on-line transaction (the total of all sums concerned was less than 1/15 of the credit limit!). Again a different person was helpful, understood what I was asking and confirmed the order had been processed, picked and put out for despatch.

I've since had email confirmation from Parcel Force that it's in their system.

So, I wasn't quite the 'customer from hell', but I did give their processes a fair workout. It's my first Rutlands order, too.

The kit supposedly arrives tomorrow, so we'll see...

Eric The Viking":lls09zjx said:
[ So far their staff have been prompt, courteous, helpful, and done what they said they would.

are you sure you didnt call axminster by mistake :lol:

Must say that i've done business with them several times using Firefox on an Apple MacBook with no problems whatsoever.

Their people do seem a little stretched all right, but they couldn't have been more helpful and did a good job...

ian

Ordered the SIP 01332 saw in the sale weekend through firefox with no problems - first order from Rutlands. Had an e-mail last night to say its been dispatched 8) Would have preferred an arrival time rather than a dispatch notification as it will likely be a pallet delivery but good service so far.

Steve

Back