Road Pricing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm !
Do I want a bunch of crooks to know where I am every minute of the day and then charge me for the privilege.
Or, shall I wait until we have some honest people in Parliament.
I'll just hold my breath then.

DomValente":2y037vvc said:
Do I want a bunch of crooks to know where I am every minute of the day and then charge me for the privilege.

Thats what it boils down to. What will the new tax revenue be spent on? More road's? Buse's Taxi's aeroplanes? all with noxious emissions :roll: ? :roll: Its just to get the wages and pension fund dues for the state elite who will operate this loony scheme.
Same with rubbish tax, excuse to turn rubbish into a commodity again to pay council wage's and pension's.

I will be signing up I read about this in the paper today (not the graudian)

DomValente":3hyt60m5 said:
Hmmm !

and operated from a call centre in India!! :lol:

I think its a good idea. They need to ration roads somehow, or they will be completely seized up in 15 year's time. Fuel duty has the advantage of encouraging heavy drivers to drive economical cars, but doesn't do anything to shift traffic patterns away from rush hours.

Agreed, something must be done.
I live in 4 b' 4 land,where if you meet one in a country lane they refuse to go onto the verge in case they dirty their alloys, let's ban them unless you need one, school runs don't count as, need one, nor does going to the hairdressers or driving to the golf club.
They make it impossible to park at a supermarket unless you have a mini, they take up more space on the road they use more fuel and most of them are ugly.

and breath

Road pricing will only mean more money for the Treasurey as people can't change their daily work travel. Until alternatives are provided people won't drive any differently. If we have to cut down on travelling its the leisure industry (national trust , Alton Towers etc.) that will suffer.

No can doubt the need to change road travel, even if you exclude environmental, there is still the increasing problem of congestion. However, nothing will change unless there is a comprehensive review of how we live. Many have a life of school, off to work, back to school etc. Schools all start at the same time which reduces flexibility in the work place etc. Greater use should be made of homeworking, especially with fast broadband allowing connection to the office. Allow more community supermarkets from the big operators so that local shopping can be costed the same as the out of town retail parks. Not wishing to go political, but it needs a different vision to change things.

Jake":2xq1l9fz said:
I think its a good idea. They need to ration roads somehow, or they will be completely seized up in 15 year's time. Fuel duty has the advantage of encouraging heavy drivers to drive economical cars, but doesn't do anything to shift traffic patterns away from rush hours.

Thats all very well from your perspective in London where you got decent regular buses/underground train's/cycle lanes and it IS possibly just feasible to do without a car etc but what about in scenario's where folk live in rural places where theres no commercial gain in laying on more buses etc and getting to places means having to go by car? Is it fair and reasonable to expect rural drivers to have to pay for journey's if theres no alternative like what you are fortunate to have in London? Tell us Jake on what basis should roads (or at least free access to roads) be rationed if its a good idea? Should it just be the drivers who can afford it and everyone else be doomed to stay indoors, or should it be some other method? I am still not convinced that there is any reason for road charges other than raising yet more tax revenues to finance the wage and pension bill of the ever increasing army of civil servants. We already pay road fund tax and fuel duty which are already too high without the added burden of a road charge on top. And any way why would the governmnt need to track every vehicle at all times :shock: That is just far out weird and wacky :roll:

mr spanton":19v9qnyt said:
And any way why would the governmnt need to track every vehicle at all times :shock: That is just far out weird and wacky :roll:
There's a very obvious politiocal answer to that, but let's not go there

Agreed, something needs to be done. Not just here, but across the world. We all live a lifestyle which the planet simply cannot support any longer. And how do we change things? Well not by using a sticking plaster tax, that's for sure, especially one which seems destined to ensure that the less well off end up living in the socially impoverished state of our early postwar forebears. Politicians of all colours need to learn to take responsibility for their actions and words. It might be rather refreshing to see them setting a good example on this and leading from the front, just for a change.

Oh look, I see the homing pigs are returning to the roost......

Scrit

mr spanton":230glceh said:
Thats all very well from your perspective in London where you got decent regular buses/underground train's/cycle lanes and it IS possibly just feasible to do without a car etc

Please have no doubt we'll get battered harder than anyone else. We're first in line for the crudest expression of this, after all, and already paying it, unlike you.

but what about in scenario's where folk live in rural places where theres no commercial gain in laying on more buses etc and getting to places means having to go by car?

There'll be more commercial (and personal) incentive once road charging is introduced. Anyway, the aim will (or ought) be to cut congestion as much as carbon emissions, so your rural lanes (where I grew up) won't cost you anything like the same as the main commuter routes into and out of main conurbations.

Is it fair and reasonable to expect rural drivers to have to pay for journey's if theres no alternative like what you are fortunate to have in London?

Assumptions are skewed.

Tell us Jake on whati basis should roads (or at least free access to roads) be rationed if its a good idea? Should it just be the drivers who can afford it and everyone else be doomed to stay indoors, or should it be some other method?

It can be one in one out at peak times on congested routes if you prefer, but that would only tackle congestion and not carbon emissions, and might be a bit random and economically inefficient.

I am still not convinced that there is any reason for road charges other than raising yet more tax revenues to finance the wage and pension bill of the ever increasing army of civil servants. We already pay road fund tax and fuel duty which are already too high without the added burden of a road charge on top.

You need to do some research into traffic flow projections. Do you want your rural idyls covered in new tarmac?

And any way why would the governmnt need to track every vehicle at all times :shock: That is just far out weird and wacky :roll:

If you have a mobile, they can anyway should they really need to.

DomValente":1vttpqxr said:
Agreed, something must be done.
I live in 4 b' 4 land,where if you meet one in a country lane they refuse to go onto the verge in case they dirty their alloys,

What's the difference between a hedgehog and a Porsche 4x4 Carrera ?

Roger Sinden":3f5kor5s said:
Is that something like "a hjedgehog has the pricks on the outside"? :oops:

Rude...... but true :wink:

Scrit

Scrit":yw4rdjjk said:
Roger Sinden":yw4rdjjk said:
Is that something like "a hjedgehog has the pricks on the outside"? :oops:

Rude...... but true :wink:

Scrit

And one of the funniest things I've seen is a porsche towing a caravan on the M50.

I've signed up. Don't like it, scares me.
Wouldn't mind road pricing so much if there was a viable alternative. I have to travel 50 miles to work in Bristol. Trains are not an option due to being so unreliable, rubbish and not running to a timetable that lets me have a life as well as a full day's work. So, the car it is.

Anyway, I wonder if the GPS unit in the car would work if encased in a thick layer of tin foil?

A Porsche Carrera 4, actually....although I much prefer the Carrera 2. The Cayenne is more associated with the Axles of Evil......With or without the spikey things inside....

Remind me never to tell jokes again unless I can get the damn car right :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: I meant the Cayenne.

Tin foil probably would block the signals but the technology is there with ANPR (automatic number plate recognition system) to detect that your car has just gone past ANPR at a road tax pricing boundary but that the road tax system hasn't got you on record at that time...ergo you've messed about with the road tax unit in your car.

Similar thing applies to congestion charge technology. All those magic number plates that 'could not be read' by the Gatso? Waste of money. if it can't be read by Gatso and the computer then the image is automatically workflowed to a human to eyeball it and you still get nicked for speeding !

Jake you seem a bit mixed up because you started out by saying you think road pricing is a good idea then belly aching because you already have it in London and are certain to get it even worse. Is it the case that Londoners are already being observed by spy camera's and being charged so much pence per mile? Or are you talking about the congestion charge that the "chiselling crook" inposed, motivated by nore than a hint of class war mentality? :lol: :lol: It seems what your really saying is that its a good idea nationally. Your assumptions are skewed?? Your still avoiding the issue that in your metropolitan idyll you have long established reliable and practical alternatives to a personal car and if someone persists in car use in London then there is possibly a case for expecting them to pay out for the privelidge. But there are vast swathes of the UK where public transport is thin to non existent on the ground. People living those places simply wont have the option to use an alternative means of transport.
I dont need to do traffic flow projections (civil servant non-job). I want to know why yet more tax is about to be demanded of the motorist, as I am not convinced it has any value in helping the congestion, pollution etc only to get more cash for wages and pension's. And you can bet that council employees civil servants etc will be charge exempt. And if you do a one in one out system it sounds fine in theory but what about the place where they have the lights or whatever to let people in it'd be worse than ever even if it was clear in the places where the congestion was reduced

:wink: :lol:

We have for yrs already had a better record of public transport ect than most countrys.
I wasn't sure what the term chelsea tractor meant --until the other day i saw one on the tele --for gods sake its a small 4x4 landrover/range rover--whats the problem with owning one of those,fuel tax is rediculously high in this country & has been since the word dot,now what with parking fees,talk of tracking devices --how is a society supposed to operate when people are driven away from private transport,
LPG has been available as an economical alternative for yrs---so wheres the big promo on that,are there any breaks for having a conversion NO!,no you gotta buy an overpriced eco car for that,this country's way of thinking is a shambles ---& the general public keeps sucking it up.
It's our right in a modern society to have private transport,if we aren't allowed to have our own car ---why are there still adverts every 15 minutes on the tele for vehicles of all shapes & sizes---you are all being conned into thinking you are doing something wrong,we know what the answer is ---less people,thats the real question--but its too big to contemplate- as a shrinking population cant support an economy--think about it,---so who do you really think is avoiding the big question?

shivers.

Shivers":ni59wn8w said:
We have for yrs already had a better record of public transport ect than most countrys.

Curious to know by what criteria you are basing this on and over what time frame? Safety? Punctuality? Reliability? Pricing? In 1900 to 1905 ? Surely not in 2007 !

Shivers":ni59wn8w said:
I wasn't sure what the term chelsea tractor meant --until the other day i saw one on the tele --for gods sake its a small 4x4 landrover/range rover--.

Nothing wrong at all with these apart from very high CO2 emissions and poor fuel consumption. And fine when used in sensible locations eg rural but not taking children all of 800 yards down a very crowded London street. Accident statistics also show that for a pedestrian the chances of injury are significantly higher when hit by Chelsea tractor then when hit by a more sensibly sized car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back