Respirator - Trend Airshield Pro or something else

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CHJ":o2qd2og9 said:
Just be aware that the original Trend mask with the wide brow filters relied on static attraction as part of their specification THP2 clearance.
Spares had a life on the packaging and a warning to store in dry conditions.
Thanks for that. I'd wondered why the Turbovisor filters had an expiry date. Any chemists out there know what it is in the filters that degrades over time? And for practical purposes working with wood, does it matter?

I seem to remember it being propounded that the reason for the original Trend being superseded in Europe (not USA where it was still being sold) was because it partially relied on Static which degrade if in high humidity, the truth of this is hearsay as far as I'm concerned though.
I still have one as a backup having acquired several spare filter sets and visor overlays (the latter are still being used on my 3M mask).

Shelf life of sealed packaged mechanical filters (not chemical absorption types) has always got me wondering too.

Did a bit of online research on this and it sounds as if the seminal work on this is by C.N. Davies in 1973. But not having academic library access any more, can't follow this up. Looking at the accessible literature suggests that the electrostatic effect either lasts for at least 80 years or disappears in three or four!

nicguthrie":10k95rhm said:
Just another wee +1 to the mention of the JSP Powercap IP.

I tried the Trend Airshield and found that with most of it's weight concentrated at the front, it gave me a sore and cramped neck after a short time, given that while I'm working, I'm normally looking downward, a bad position for the neck while it's supporting weight.

The JSP solution has the battery at the back of the cap, and also weighs a considerable amount less. I've found it very comfortable, very effective, and you can get simple paper inserts that go in front of the air filters, to take the worst of the bulk dust, and prolong the life of your main filters. The battery lasts a good few hours, though I've no idea how many it'll actually go for - as I tend to use the unit in bursts of an hour or two, with several days between, and just charge it when it sounds like it's getting a little slower.

I'd advise getting the plastic "screen protector" type film to go over the face plate on it as well, as it's a lot cheaper to replace than the visor, if you do have an accident that causes a scratch.

Love the unit myself, it may be less snazzy than some of the top end full respirator solutions, but it's damn near perfect for me, and no hoses or belt attachments. If it's light enough for my damaged and faulty neck, it'd be light enough for anyone!

Nic.

Another +1 for the JSP with impact protection visor and screen protector. I still have the original trend airshireld and replacement battery and psu but couldnt find a visor to replace the battered old one so bought the JSP version (from Toolpost?). It is excellent for what I need, wihich is turning (I have already benefited from the IP capability!) and general sanding, but that is also mainly sorted at source. The JSP cap is a type of hard baseball cap, so I've also worn it when doing general garden pruning. I wear glasses so a 'no air flow' respirator is no use to me , for the reasons posted by others previously (i've tried plenty). I wasnt aware that axminster sold a JSP look alike, i never found it when I was looking last year.
Dave

oddsocks":z120gmew said:
I wasnt aware that axminster sold a JSP look alike, i never found it when I was looking last year.
That's because they've only been selling it for a few weeks now. FWIW it's not a 'look alike' it's a re-badge, so everything JSP is the same. It's also supplied with the impact protection visor as standard, unlike some other suppliers.
I've tried both now, bit I'm still not sure which is best between the JSP and Trend, but there's very little between the two.

Check the filter level certification if you are handling very fine dust, one criteria of full face masks often overlooked is the airflow rate/face seal rating.

This is different to the filters themselves, if the mask can not prevent inward flow of shop air if you take a deep breath it's irrelevant how fine the cartridge filter is.

Trend Airshield pro. TH 2 P
Axminster Evolution TH1P

EN 12941:1998 Powered filtering device with helmet / hood
TH - turbo hood 1, 2 or 3 - inward leakage class (10%, 2% or 0.2%)
P - for use against particles + S or SL - use against solids only or solids and liquids.

CHJ":33b32w3z said:
the airflow rate/face seal rating.
...... if the mask can not prevent inward flow of shop air if you take a deep breath it's irrelevant how fine the cartridge filter is.
I can't help but think this sort of rating can be a bit of a loose number. All measured on some sort of 'British Standard Head' model, rather than real people
The actual protection offered will be dependant on the individual wearing it and how they breath. No big inward gasps and it's not important at all.

For the totally obsessive you could opt for something like http://www.arco.co.uk/products/17A0500?s=1 but would any turner ?

Something that fits comfortably and gets used is probably more important.

Latest posts

Back