Respirator - Trend Airshield Pro or something else

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCB

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying a Trend Airsheld Pro

But I'm discouraged by the bad reports I have read about the battery life and by the price of replacement filters.

Does anybody have experience, please, of other makes of respirators?

Please share your knowledge.

With best wishes and thanks.

MC Black

Any reason you want a powered one and not a 3M one with replaceable filters for example?

I have used a Trend Airshield for about three years now, I bought the ear defenders as well as the helmet which makes the whole unit much more stable on your head. However the ear defenders are not brilliant for noise reduction! It's used ever time there is any dust being created, and so far, no problems with the battery, yep just one battery, and it still gives the stated time of use without any problems.

I keep the battery inside when it's icy outside and also don't leave it in-charged.

For wearing glasses it's brilliant, no fogging. I equally don't like anything around my face where the muck can gather and irritate as I'm prone to eczema. I read recently a thread on here talking about the problems of black mole build up in mask time respirators, no such problems with a powered system.

Highly recommend.

Mike Bremner":m8ur5zsa said:
Any reason you want a powered one and not a 3M one with replaceable filters for example?

Having used all options, I'd say powered hoods are the ultimate option for user comfort in extended use and offer a higher level of [theoretical] protection... I really rate the 3M gear including their powered hoods hoods (though they're prohibitively expensive)

Powered Hoods by design need much bigger filters to deal with the volume of air moved, which makes them both more expensive and more shortlived (as they're always filtering, not just on inhalation), which is the major downside...

My real question is why you feel RPE is required at all... Is it really that dusty and you have no way to minimise the dust or remove the dust producing process?
Serious dust protection like these options is very rare in industry, because it's widely identified as both better for health and cheaper to either collect or not produce hazardous amounts of dust to start with, I really feel that this is something which is missed in the great dust discussion, Don't spend money on an expensive mask which takes expensive filters or an alarmingly frequent basis, until you've minimised the source of dust to begin with.

I appreciate this doesn't address the OP's question directly, but hazardous atmospheres and health protection have become pet subjects from my professional life...

I have used a Racal Airlite and really regret that they became unavailable as they were more comfortable than the Trend,without being as cumbersome as the Racal Airstream.While I would enjoy an environment where there was very little dust being created,the reality is that there is far too much dust in workshops and the ceiling mounted filters are not much use if you are using a router with some of the tropical hardwoods or even MDF.A passive particle mask is less effective and may well steam up glasses.

I have a trend Airshield pro. I admit I don't wear it all the time, but when required it has done a wonderful job. I am bearded and spectacled so the positive air inside the shield ensures a dust free fit. However, the best bit I find with it is the protection it provides....provided. Some months ago I had a large billet of oak about 6 inch square and about 18 inches long come off my lathe at speed and hit me full square in the face. It floored me, cut me on the bridge of my nose where my glasses were pushed me not my skin. Had I not been wearing the Airshield Pro, this could easily have been a fatality. This counts as a self inflicted injury as I realised what I had done about a nanosecond before the oak hit me. I shall never make that mistake again, but I shall always wear the Airshield when my quick risk assessment suggests it is a good plan! I otherwise wear a non respirator full face shield when I'm turning.

Afraid I'm paranoid about wood dust when cutting it in any form, spent may years in my working life not bothering too much about it, now dump all possible outside the workshop and the odd incident where something has decided not to stay with the lathe means I now don't switch on without a shield and airfed mask.

I'm allergic to certain dusts/wood volatiles which started the paranoia and age related experience that sees more and more of my family members and associates leave this world through respiratory failures from farming, occupational and smoking related problems does nothing to allay it.

Being asked to make an urn for a member of the family you were cruising and swimming off the Turkish coast with 12 months previously, with no inkling of any problems, brings home how precious lungs are.
DSCN5028.JPG

£300-400-500 for a positive pressure filtered air fed respirator and face shield hardly covers the cost in man hours for making the urn let alone the months of family trauma involved.

I totally agree its not worth the risk. I have tried nearly every form of protection out there. Trend, phantom, 3m dustmaster and every dust mask. I have a very low tolerance to any form of dust especially. The best powered one I have found is the 3m dustmaster, downsides are they cost a lot, the filters are only P2 and the batterys give up after 2 years. I now use a sundstrom mask with a P3 filter and I find this gives me the best protection.

Mike Bremner":1c8devaj said:

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I have a full beard (to which I'm very attached ) and been advised that only a powered respirator would be any use.

MC

MCB":2ezhpxeg said:
Mike Bremner":2ezhpxeg said:

I have a full beard (to which I'm very attached ) and been advised that only a powered respirator would be any use.

MC
Makes perfect sense in that case. I can tell a difference with my 3M going from clean shaved to a week or mores growth, it just doesn't seal as well.

MCB":2j4plepf said:
Mike Bremner":2j4plepf said:

MC

That's true unless you are clean shaven your only route to effective RPE is a positive pressure mask.

Jelly":3lvv4wv6 said:
Serious dust protection like these options is very rare in industry, because it's widely identified as both better for health and cheaper to either collect or not produce hazardous amounts of dust to start with,
I don't think anyone would disagree with the ideal of extracting the dust at source, but "industrial" solutions can't easily be applied to many small or home workshops.

Getting back to the OP's question has anyone any particular experience or recommendations between the affordable personal positive pressure solutions ?

I've tried the Powercap on and found it comfortable and quiet, but I'd like to know how it compares to the Airshield for practicality.

Thanks for that.
CHJ":7psl9si9 said:
Don't know how relevant it is to current versions but salient facts should hold good.
I think a few important details have changed.
The Powercap(and Axminster badged version APF10) now has the battery pack on the back of the helmet, which I'd assume will make a significance to the practicality of it in use. Visors overlays are also available now too.

I think both items are so close in design and spec, it will come down to personal preference and fit. I'll have to try both in an Axi store.

Worth noting that spares for the APF10/Powercap can be cheaper if you buy the genuine JSP parts from Tool Post, rather than the Axi branded parts.

Rhossydd":2nx134ny said:
Thanks for that.

I think both items are so close in design and spec, it will come down to personal preference and fit. I'll have to try both in an Axi store..

Take a hard look at Filtration Levels, Think JSP only meets TH1.

CHJ":tsmqv2jy said:
Take a hard look at Filtration Levels, Think JSP only meets TH1.
Other than 1 is better than 2, ten minutes on Google hasn't easily found any actual details of what that extra level of protection means in real use.
Either will be better than none.

Sure all other things being equal going for a better level of protection is obviously the better choice, but a respirator that is affordable, easy and comfortable to use is more likely to be worn. A helmet sitting on the shelf or in the shop offers no protection at all ;-)

*Filters: EN 12941:1998 Powered filtering device with helmet / hood
TH - turbo hood 1, 2 or 3 - inward leakage class (10%, 2% or 0.2%) P - for use against particles + S or SL - use against solids only or solids and liquids.

See: http://www.hse.gov.uk/foi/internalops/f ... 03app4.pdf OM 2009/03 Appendix 4: – European Standards and Markings for Respiratory Protection

Inward leakage class is as significant as the fineness of the primary filter.

Back