1/2 inch router choice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dude

Reaction score
what's up everyone.

My Dewalt DW622 router, along with many other Dewalt & Milwaukee cordless tools were stolen a couple of weeks ago.

I'm looking for a 1/2" router replacement, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of options out there right now compared to 5-7 years ago. I thought it would be easy to just buy a new DW625 and be done with it, but I cannot find one on any UK/Euro website.

Does anyone know where I can purchase a new DW625?? I know they have been discontinued, but I thought it would take a while to be completely sold out. Is the new model DWE625 really that bad? Is it just the depth stop, or are other features not as good as the older model? Looking for personal experience from owners please...thanks for any help/opinions.

Powertoolworld has the Makita RP2303FC for a good price, but I'm a bit sceptical about this model due to lack of reviews. I have not found 1 video review of this router in English?? wtf that's strange. Also, according to what I've read in other forums, acquiring accessories is very difficult for all Makita 1/2" routers.

Thanks for any help/advice.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply Sachakins.

That is the newer model DWE625, I was asking about the previous generation DW625.

You can also checkout Trend T10/T11. I think at least one of them is identical to DeWalt 625 /622 model.

Maybe workout what exactly about the older model that appeals to you and see if they are available in the trend variants?

Alternatively, you can look at Tritons as well if you fancy.

I have the DeWalt 625 & can understand why you want an original one mines 27 years old & still going strong. I also have a Trend T11 & quite honestly I wish I hadn’t wasted my money on one, after the speed control & bearings went again I cut my losses & bought a Festool OF 1400, It’s in a different league even to the DeWalt.

I agree with @Doug B
I have a couple of DW 625E routers ( as well as a couple of the older Elu 177 models) and they are good workhorses, if a bit agricultural!
The Festool routers are in another league, not least of which is in the dust extraction department.
I think the Festool routers also seem/ feel to offer a bit more finesse, if that makes sense...?

I have the last generation Makita Router, the RP2301FC. The RP2303FC looks much the same with the only difference appearing to be the little green indicator light on top to show that it has power, with it being pretty new but with no massive differences to the old model I'm not surprised there are not many videos about it.

I rate the RP2301FC very highly, it's probably the best 1/2" router I've used and I've used a fair few over the years like the much revered Elu MOF177, but the mod-cons of the Makita give it the edge in my opinion. The linear ball bearings on the plunge rods make plunging the router smooth and effortless, you can do it with one finger without straining as there's no friction to overcome like with other machines. You have soft start and a braked motor, a lot of machines have soft start now but I don't think very many have a braked motor, especially in the same price bracket. The router also has LED lights that light up the cutting area as you're working, which is a small touch but makes a massive difference if you're routing to a line as we all know the visibility inside the router base is less than perfect. The overall build of the router is very sturdy, depth rod is simple but effective which is what you want, it also has a very good fence system. I've got a few routers with most set up for a specific job, but the Makita is the one I keep for all the odd jobs as it's an excellent all-rounder.

I have the DeWalt 625 & can understand why you want an original one mines 27 years old & still going strong. I also have a Trend T11 & quite honestly I wish I hadn’t wasted my money on one, after the speed control & bearings went again I cut my losses & bought a Festool OF 1400, It’s in a different league even to the DeWalt.
Good to know. I use my T10 only when I need a handheld option bigger than my trim router, so wouldn't know about the long term issues you mentioned.

Just to echo the above post. When I was researching a lot about 1/2 routers (not bought yet) I did a lot of reading of threads like this across UK and US forums with my focus being reliability + dust extraction + ability to table mount if wanted (and taking into account that I don’t know enough to fettle something that is nearly, but not quite good). From lots of anecdotal evidence I came to conclusions that:
- Triton are liked by some but have enough Quality Control issues to make them a non-starter for me
- Festool would be the choice if money no object
- Makita (specifically the rp2301fc) would absolutely be my choice and was very well regarded by users (though yes, I noticed a lack of video reviews)
Making a few minor tweaks as in this thread https://www.routerforums.com/threads/review-of-the-makita-rp2301fc-router.44623/

Triton are liked by some but have enough Quality Control issues to make them a non-starter for me
I have been using the tra001 in a table for many years and it has performed well with no issues but not the best for handheld use as it has a strange fence arrangement. For table use these days I would look at router motors and lifts as better than using a plunge router. For handheld use then the Dewalt 625 is good, based on the original ELU and Makita gets good reviews but the Festool is just ttp on price so much better if you want to spend some money to look at the Mafell.

I have vintage Elu's and I doubt I'll wear them out.
They are better made than the DeWalts that came after them.
I'd like to try the big Festool and the 1/4" Mafell but both are too pricey for me to indulge in.
The Makita 2301/3 look to be really good machines and far better value. The spare parts diagram shows that they should be serviceable for a long life.
Two caveats.
1. linear bearings and dust don't go together so I worry about the faff of cleaning out the bearings thoroughly and re lubing them. No dust seal is perfect. When they do go, the linear bearings aren't sold as a spare, it looks like the entire bottom casting has to be bought with bearing(s) factory pressed in. And are there linear bearings on both columns ? This isn't clear from the parts diagram.
2. Do newer Makita routers use a proper collet with 4 splits from the front interleaved with 4 splits from the back ? A la Elu / DeWalt. Older Makita and Hitachi routers I've used were only split 4 ways from the front. That's a bit cheap and I think not so good.

I have the last generation Makita Router, the RP2301FC. The RP2303FC looks much the same with the only difference appearing to be the little green indicator light on top to show that it has power, with it being pretty new but with no massive differences to the old model I'm not surprised there are not many videos about it.
Thanks for the info.

Question: does the Makita come with 1/4 and 1/2" collets, or just "adapter sleeves"? If only adapter sleeves, have you had any problems with them?

Do you use both 1/4 and 1/2" bits with the RP2301?

I forgot to mention, I don't have plans to use it in a table immediately, but you never know.

My main use for the router is with 2cm thick hardwood, usually ash, beech or oak. I use the Milescraft circle jig like here: Milescraft circle jig, (this thing has been awesome) to make circular wooden rings for Mora clocks.

I also have quite a few 1/2" bits that I would like to use (they took the cheapo starter kit, but left the single Whiteside and Infinity bits...lol), so would like router that accepts both 1/4 and 1/2".

Thanks for all the info so far.

I live in Germany, but currently visiting the UK and trying to replenish my Dewalt/Milwaukee tools that were stolen.

I have heard great things about Festool, but I feel it's an investment into their eco system, (like Apple) and even in Germany, the accessories are insanely priced. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.

Question: does the Makita come with 1/4 and 1/2" collets, or just "adapter sleeves"? If only adapter sleeves, have you had any problems with them?

Do you use both 1/4 and 1/2" bits with the RP2301?

I'm pretty sure it was a 1/2" collet with a 1/4" reducing sleeve but I can't remember, I'd have to have a look in the box as I never really use 1/4" bits in the 1/2" router as I've got half a dozen 1/4" routers. When I have used 1/4" bits in a 1/2" collet I have used reducing sleeves and they work well enough.

I bought a new one off ebay, setup a search and a new one popped up fairly quickly after the bearings in my old one needed replacing. Replacing the bearings is on my list of things to do.

Thanks for all of the replies to my questions. I have gained a lot of knowledge from this forum.

I just wanted to give an update about my search for a 1/2" router that accepts 1/4 and 1/2" bits.

I bought a Hikoki M12VE from here:ECA Toolfast in Newark about 3 weeks ago. I highly recommend this place; knowledgeable and friendly staff, prices competetitive with internet, and a shedload of powertools on display. The M12VE was £168 including VAT, which was about the same as most popular tool websites...FFX, Powertoolworld, D&M.

They had the Makita RP2303 on display there, but not in stock in 230V. The plunge mechanism felt very smooth, but I thought there was a lot of plastic for the £335 price tag. From what I could see, the depth stop adjustment screw/bolt is plastic and looks like it might strip out after a lot of use.

They didn't have any Dewalt routers in stock in 230V, or battery powered. I wanted to check out the DW604 or D26204, but they didn't have either of them on display, or in stock.

I picked up the Trend equivalent(T12EK) of the new Dewalt DWE625, it is much bigger and heavier than I thought. It's freakin huge!

I am back in Germany now, and I thought I would share my experience with the Hikoki M12VE:

PositiveS:
it's very powerful
base is large and stable
depth stop rod is solid
simple power switch...i.e on/off

Negatives:
power cord is short...about 5 ft
both 1/4" and 1/2" collets are a nightmare...when using the 1/4" collet, I have to use pliers to remove bit when finished because it is clamped so hard. when using 1/2" collet, the sleeve/insert constantly falls out of nut, making it a pain in the a$$ to insert/remove bits

I have contacted ECA toolfast about the collet problems, and they are going to mail new collets, this is another positive for ECA, their customer service is excellent!

After the frustrations with the collets, I searched for a Dewalt model here in Germany. I found the DW622 for a reasonable price, so I bought one a couple of days ago.

I got mine from this website:Contorion I have used this website many times to buy tools, they are really good. The price was €402, which is about £345 at the current exchange rate. I think they will ship to the UK, just maybe extra shipping costs.

I received my my DW622 today, it came with all the accessories i.e., parallel/guide fence with fine adjustment and rods dust extraction fittings, guide bush adapter, and T-Stack VI case. The collets are metric(8mm and 12mm), but you could source inch/imperial collets from many sources in the UK. I ordered inch/imperial collets from mtmc tools here:MTMC.

There is also a price comparison website(like Skinflint.co.uk) that you can monitor the price of this router, and a lot of other things here:idealo.de , I think most of the companies will ship to th UK for an additional cost.

I am sharing this info, as I tried to find the DW622 in the UK when I was there a week ago, and I could not find it anywhere, but it is still available in Europe.

I hope this info helps.

Once again, thanks for all of the replies to my questions.

I do not know why Dewalt do not make the 622 available in the UK, it seems to be a nice router that is not as large as the 625 and has that nice extraction feature.

I wonder what that Axminster trade one will sell for, only at £160 bid at present and the cheapest spindle on the axminster site is currently £3800. If I had the space I might really be tempted and get rid of my Kreg router table.

Back