best pound for pound all round router?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephen Brown

Reaction score
Hi All

I'm looking to invest in my first router but I'm a little stuck on what to select (information overload), what i would like to avoid is buying something now that I regret further down the line.

My next workshop tasks are a kitchen island and some storage cabinets amongst other similar things, so the router is largely for finishing and joining initially and I expect I may mount it in my workbench - over the longer term I can see myself wanting to flatten larger items which may result in going with router sled.

I have both DeWalt and Makita cordless systems so i could go wireless, but its largely for workshop use with dust extraction so i don't see a wireless benefit.

I have looked into it quite a bit and twice landed on 2-in-1 solutions by bosch and DeWalt which when i looked to buy appear to be US only models.

I am currently focused on the Dewalt D26204k DeWALT D26204K 2 in 1 Router (1/4")

Any advice would be appreciated

Most of the interesting bits are 1/2 inch. Using it by hand usually makes the most interesting solutions. Accuracy is incredibly important. So 1/2 inch small and very accurate. Great dust extraction. Must be of2200!

Hi and welcome to the forums, there are many threads on routers and plenty of information to be found. There is really not a single router that will do everything a woodworker wants but you have to start somewhere. For many task a router table is essential, especially for mouldings but a lot will come down to the style and design of your items. A 1/4 router is ideal for light work but will lack the power and plunge depth of a 1/2 router where you have a greater choice of cutters. My first router was a Triton that went into a Kreg table which allowed me to make mouldings and cut slots for panel and frame assemblies but a small Bosch GOF 600 soon followed for those smaller odd jobs. I then got a Trend T10 for handheld work such as cutting mortices for door latches and the heavier jobs where the little 600 is to fast and lacks the power.

You have not mentioned what other tools you have for joints, are you looking to the router for jointing task, I use dowels a lot which I find suits my needs but many will want the traditional M&T.

Hi All

I'm looking to invest in my first router but I'm a little stuck on what to select (information overload), what i would like to avoid is buying something now that I regret further down the line.

My next workshop tasks are a kitchen island and some storage cabinets amongst other similar things, so the router is largely for finishing and joining initially and I expect I may mount it in my workbench - over the longer term I can see myself wanting to flatten larger items which may result in going with router sled.

I have both DeWalt and Makita cordless systems so i could go wireless, but its largely for workshop use with dust extraction so i don't see a wireless benefit.

I have looked into it quite a bit and twice landed on 2-in-1 solutions by bosch and DeWalt which when i looked to buy appear to be US only models.

I am currently focused on the Dewalt D26204k DeWALT D26204K 2 in 1 Router (1/4")

Any advice would be appreciated
I have a Dewalt 26204 which I purchased second hand a few years ago. I made a small table for it which is where it is mostly used, and I also use it handheld both with the fixed base and the plunge bases. I really like it, I don't mind about the cord I use it with extraction so it doesn't matter to me. Mostly gets used for chamfering/roundovers and flush trimming. The height adjustment using the twist wheel is really nice, the LEDs work great. I don't really have any way to fault it. It doesn't have an NVR switch which I would prefer but that is just a safety issue.

I recently got the big triton 1/2" router for some flattening tasks and some moulding work, I mounted it in a table and it is ideal for that work with the above-table adjustment mechanism built in. I'm impressed with it but I wouldn't want to use it much handheld, its rather heavy and unwieldly. I did try flattening on a router sled with the small 1/4" dewalt but it is a bit of a nuisance, the flattening bits are all really made for 1/2" routers and I have had a much easier time with the occasional flattening job since getting one of those.

I don't think you can find a one-router-fits-all solution. I wouldn't hesitate to reccomend the dewalt for small to medium tasks, and I would buy another one if this one broke. It is however ideal for the smaller tasks and not larger ones, I know you say you are using it for a kitchen island, I don't know if you're intending to do the worktops but I'd have thought you would want a larger 1/2" router for that. Equally you wouldn't really want to be using a large 1/2" machine to do small roundovers etc as it would be a nuisance to handle. I found after a few years that I did need a 1/4" and a 1/2" to be able to safely and properly do what I wanted to do.

I would get a large 1/2" and a small trimmer. Go quality on the big one and get a cheeper trimmer would be my thoughts?

Something like a DeWalt 625 or elu 096

Or Similar if buying new.

I have an excel trimmer which has been great for £30.

I would suggest the Dewalt 1/2" router, an absolute workhorse and tester of time. these thing will hog out shavings all day long. And for the price of under £400 its a steal. I have the one i bought nearly 20 years ago and she's still going, now demoted to a router table as i use the festool OF2200 but just the accessories (guide rail) is over 400 notes alone for that beast. Maybe not one for your first router. save yourself a few quid and get the Dewalt and buy a sht ton of cutters instead!

Before my dewalt I briefly owned the KATSU 1/4" trim router which is a clone of the makita. I really didn't like it at all, but it gets really good reviews and is rather cheap (£44 currently!). I am prepared to admit that my inexperience with routers at the time and the resultant difficulties I had may have played a large role in my dislike of it, I don't know if I had one now whether I would feel the same way.

If I were in your position I might consider buying that one and seeing how I got on with it. Little to loose at such a small cost really and being from amazon you can easily return it if you find it to be not fit for purpose.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/101748-Ele...ocphy=9045161&hvtargid=pla-423311611581&psc=1

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to the forums, there are many threads on routers and plenty of information to be found. There is really not a single router that will do everything a woodworker wants but you have to start somewhere. For many task a router table is essential, especially for mouldings but a lot will come down to the style and design of your items. A 1/4 router is ideal for light work but will lack the power and plunge depth of a 1/2 router where you have a greater choice of cutters. My first router was a Triton that went into a Kreg table which allowed me to make mouldings and cut slots for panel and frame assemblies but a small Bosch GOF 600 soon followed for those smaller odd jobs. I then got a Trend T10 for handheld work such as cutting mortices for door latches and the heavier jobs where the little 600 is to fast and lacks the power.

You have not mentioned what other tools you have for joints, are you looking to the router for jointing task, I use dowels a lot which I find suits my needs but many will want the traditional M&T.
I don't need it for jointing as i currently use dowels or pocket holes but like the idea of a router for M&T and biscuits, more as additional options - the immediate need is more for round over / chamfer for finishing - based on the feedback it seems like I want a low cost light 1/4" for that, give it a go then spend on a 1/2" if I still have fingers

Before my dewalt I briefly owned the KATSU 1/4" trim router which is a clone of the makita. I really didn't like it at all, but it gets really good reviews and is rather cheap (£44 currently!). I am prepared to admit that my inexperience with routers at the time and the resultant difficulties I had may have played a large role in my dislike of it, I don't know if I had one now whether I would feel the same way.

If I were in your position I might consider buying that one and seeing how I got on with it. Little to loose at such a small cost really and being from amazon you can easily return it if you find it to be not fit for purpose.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/101748-Ele...ocphy=9045161&hvtargid=pla-423311611581&psc=1
at that price i may just go for it. I'm usually put off by the lower cost options, I don't mind it from a speed point of view its just if I get wonky output - tried going cheaper on my mitre saw and i keep needing to recalibrate the thing

A. 1/2 router can be a bit of a beast especially if you have limited experience. using such a machine could potentially give you poor results due to your experience so personally I’d start with a cheap 1/4 “ plunge router and get familiar with it before going near a 1/2 “ model . Just my opinion as it’s a lit easier to go freehand with a 1/4 “ router than the bigger more powerful 1/2 “ jobs .

I've had a Makita electronic for about 20 years and it has worked faultlessly and done an awful lot of work, as this was so reliable I bought the same make palm Router and that has been good as well, neither of them are cordless Get a well known make and spend as much as you can afford, you will be using it probably for many years. If you are just starting out there is a book called "Wood Working Project with a router", might be worth a look.

If you are going to be joining worktops with a Masons Mitre then you need a 1/2" router the heavier the better, stops it tipping, its then good to go into a Router Table, I have two Hitachi M12V or such, but my go too is the Draper Expert 1/2" router, much lighter and has a clear base with three LED lights ideal for jig work, impressed enough I bought two to use on my Leigh dovetail jig, the small Makita is nice little tool for any quick work.

even look on here at the for sale section..u just may get lucky.....
I def go 1/2 as the weight will help build the confidence......
Face book and eBay are good to buy locally.....
used is ok if ur just starting out but the cost will soon climb, then u'll want a table with a dedicated machine...
everyone slags off those cheaper r/bits but to get u started they dont do a bad job.....
I would not use a router for making biscuit slots tho....a dedicated machine costs just a few quid....
mines a cheapie, made in Holland and supplied by Screwfix......
I just dont remember how many years ago but certainly 20+....still works great....
have to say I have quite few routers but if poss I always go for my big Hitachi....
I find the 1/4-6mm are like toys.....

I have other Makita battery tools which is why I bought the 18v Makita one and I was surprised to see that it is made in Europe. I'm not a big power tool user and I bought it to use with 8mm shank cutters to rout firedoor hinges and strip and seal.

The Festool one is very easy to use and I also have a Metabo 1800w one which scares the bejesus out of me. Good for routing green oak stringers, but it's a heavy beast and feels like it wants to go into orbit all of the time.

I'd rather cut the hinges by hand but it's frowned upon even though I work for a conservation company, daft really as I have to load up my Brompton with a shed load of battery powered stuff and ride across London with it.

A similar-looking router is £31 today and tomorrow.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trimmer-AM...925358&s=pbdd&sprefix=router,pbdd,110&sr=1-17

I suggest most of us end up with at least two hand held routers, a bigger half inch machine for the heavier work plus a smaller 1/4” machine for lighter tasks. Which one you buy first very much depends on your immediate needs, although I’d be tempted to go lighter first to gain experience before buying a bigger unit.
Later you’ll likely find you want a third machine for dedicated use in a table.

I agree with other replies that you’re likely to end up eventually with a heavier, more powerful 1/2 tool and a lighter, easier to handle and balance 1/4 tool.

I have the Makita 1/4 trimmers with interchangeable plunge/trimmer bases and fence and a Dewalt DW622K 1/2 router.

I bought the Dewalt first as it seemed like it could do everything by fitting the appropriate sized collet. However, since having the Makita 1/4, the only thing I’ve used the Dewalt for is corner jointing laminate worktops with a worktop jig. Whilst the Dewalt will take a 1/4 collet, I find it heavier and harder to handle and balance for workbench use. The Makita is my go to tool, it’s light weight, making it far less likely to topple over around corners and I haven’t really found jobs in the workshop where 1/4 is insufficient.

Unless there’s a bit you need for your upcoming jobs which only comes in 1/2 I’d be inclined to get a good quality 1/4 router to begin with. You can always get a cheapo 1/2 for the odd job where you need it - a friend of mine has an Erbauer 1/2 from Screwfix which he uses purely for worktop jointing, says it’s fine for that job and it was cheap as chips.

P.S. I think you’re right to avoid battery versions, the sort of work you can do with a router can burn through a charge quite quickly.

Back