Dewalt 1/4 router for Worktop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Shmoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello.

Need to fit some worktops but only have an 18v DeWalt 1/4 router.

Can you get a 30mm bush for this, and an appropriate router bit?

I don't want to buy a 1/2 router but some info on the Web says a 1/4 won't be up to the job so bush/bits not available?

I would agree. It's a task for a router with a bit of power. I have a couple of 1/4" machines and I wouldn't consider it with either. Assuming you will also need a full depth 1/2" cutter to use with the guide bush? Not saying it's not possible but it would be a last resort for me.

You could but you would need to rake shallow passes perhaps 6mm each and so it will take forever and you'll need a few batteries!

If there is no OEM bush available, look on Etsy as someone there would 3D print you one of any size you require.

Would the guide bush diameter and the cutter diameter not be tied to each other? Hence, maybe you need to source the cutter first and then specify the bush to suit.

Do an initial shallow pass and then jigsaw off the bulk of the material. With some care, on the straight bit, you could use a tracksaw, reserving the router only for where it is absolutely necessary.

You trade power for speed. My horse will pull a tonne one mile on a cart. I can also transport the same weight the same distance, but it will take me a bit longer.

The limiting factor apart from the lack of power will be the plunge depth, a 1/2 inch router like the Dewalt 625 has 70 mm of plunge. You can get guide bushes for most 1/4 trim routers but that is for task within their capability. If you gave a location in your details you might find another member within the area who could lend you a larger router or even pop round and give you a hand.

Hello.

Need to fit some worktops but only have an 18v DeWalt 1/4 router.

Can you get a 30mm bush for this, and an appropriate router bit?

I don't want to buy a 1/2 router but some info on the Web says a 1/4 won't be up to the job so bush/bits not available?
If its just straight cuts then you could use a circular saw with a suitable sharp blade being sure to always cut with the underside up. Try it on a scrap end to see if you're happy with the finish. Decent sticky tape on the cut line can help too.

I wouldn't recommend using an 1/2 inch bit on a 1/4 inch router however using a 1/4 inch bit on a 1/2 inch router is fine.

I word of advice... If you're buying a collect, make sure you buy a decent one and not a cheap one from Amazon. I've paid that price twice. The collet bent, wrecked the wood I was working on and almost took a finger off 👀

Latest posts

Back