Recommend me a good impact driver please.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was given an old 18volt Makita and where I find it absolutely brilliant is when trying to remove old screws that are stuck tight. Loads of torque and less likely to shear them off. I don't use it for everyday screw driving though.

K

Alexfn":2wvnff3c said:
mike seems to comment on every post about impact drivers, his comment that it will drive a 100mm screw into 100mm oak post, well my impact driver would put a 200mm screw into a 200mm post in 1/3rd of the time it took the driver to do that 100mm screw, it also wouldn't transfer the torque to my wrist

And my mums fridge is bigger than your mums. :roll:

Mike

Every tradesman I know - be they electrician, chippy, builder, plumber has an impact driver and loves it. I'm a lagger and I've got one! They're brilliant at what they do. I've not driven a screw with my drill since I got mine. My home "woodwork" one is a little bosch 10.8v and its great for more delicate stuff, I've got the makita 18v for work and its brilliant. We fitted a roof to our unit and I used it to drive tec screws into steel purlins all day. It got hot but just carried on. Brilliant bit of kit. OP, if you're in the bosch system see if you can get a bare unit to go with the batteries you have - makes a big difference to the price.

MikeJhn":2cqmrhwf said:
Alexfn":2cqmrhwf said:
mike seems to comment on every post about impact drivers, his comment that it will drive a 100mm screw into 100mm oak post, well my impact driver would put a 200mm screw into a 200mm post in 1/3rd of the time it took the driver to do that 100mm screw, it also wouldn't transfer the torque to my wrist

And my mums fridge is bigger than your mums. :roll:

Mike

When you earn your living with your tools time and fatigue are important mike. Try and paint it as a brag all you like.

TFrench":l8jd6m3c said:
if you're in the bosch system see if you can get a bare unit to go with the batteries you have - makes a big difference to the price.
I've ordered a bosch but I did order the batteries too as I assumed they were different to the 36 volt ones for my drill driver.

I have a Triton 20 volt impact driver ,a bargain from Amazon at £75 slot cheaper than dewalt makita, Bosch etc. I worked in construction for over 40 years and have used most makes of battery drill/drivers they are all a much of a muchness today . The Triton installed several hundred 100mm X 6mm screws even more of 50 mm X 4 mm screws when i installed a false floor in the workshop .It did this on one battery,which impressed me ,the price has since gone up.Its weight is similar to my 18volt Elu ,which is still going strong after 20 years.
Tony

I've used a few different brands of impact. If you're on a budget then the Ryobi is stunningly good value. I've got that and a Dewalt which is my tool of choice. I've tried the Makita and that's fine. I didn't like the feel of the Milwaukee. Not tried a Bosch. Tried a Stanley fat max and that's pretty good but I'd go Ryobi ahead of that.

Depends on what you're doing but for a lot of screws you cant beat an impact. The perfect tool for decking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AFAIK there are some new impact drivers on the market that now use an hydraulic drive system to minimise noise

Milwaukee?

The Makita and Dewalt 18v units are good quality and will take a lot of abuse. Use them all the time at work and they don't get well cared for there.

No ones mentioned 10.8v imoacts = they're super light weight and very powerful. Certainly man enough for 50mm screws - probably need a couple of batteries to keep it going continuously.

I think if I was planning to drive 20,000 screws I'd want a tool that was comfortable and not so noisy would be nice.
As the gent above me says, the new Makita and Hitachi hydraulic impact must be worth a try in the hope of less noise.
For comfort, my ten pennorth would be to try the Bosch GDX18VEC which I find fits MY hand better than any other handtool, or the Panasonic EY75A7... which is pretty much as comfortable.

I finally changed all my Makita Ni-Cd / Ni-Mh battery tools last year to Li-Ion and bought a 18v Makita drill driver / Impact Driver combo kit to start with. Now replaced my circular saw, jigsaw and multi tool to take the same batteries.

For what you're going to use it for I'd highly recommend the Makita DTD152. Powerful and long battery life. Mine came with 3 3Ah batteries but they go up to 6Ah now.

Also bought a 10.8v Makita drill driver / Impact driver combo set to keep on the bench as I use them all day long. A lot lighter and less power which is great for the kind of work I do in the shed.

Back