Reading list

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicknoxx

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I'm working more and more with wood but haven't had much experience since school and would like the forum to suggest suitable reading material covering practical advice on the use of table saws, routers and general woodworking please?

Thanks

If you want to push the boat out the only book you'll need is 'The Techniques of Furniture Making' by Joyce.... covers everything :wink: - Rob

Another selection is:
The Complete Illustrated Guide to Woodworking, by
The Taunton Press

Colin

All books by David Charlesworth - worth their weight in gold. Also the books by James Krenov are inspirational.

Collins Encycolopedia gets my vote - my copy is well thumbed, and often the first book I go to when needing to look up a joint.

ByronBlack":1mkttiuc said:
All books by David Charlesworth - worth their weight in gold. Also the books by James Krenov are inspirational.

Collins Encycolopedia gets my vote - my copy is well thumbed, and often the first book I go to when needing to look up a joint.

BB - Say again, the only book you might ever need on techniques is Joyce's, if you haven't thumbed thru a copy, recommend you do so :wink: - Rob

Consider me recommended Rob - i'll have to search ebay for a copy. What makes it so great? Is it more detailed than the collins book - more instructional??

ByronBlack":vnr1b5oc said:
Consider me recommended Rob - i'll have to search ebay for a copy. What makes it so great? Is it more detailed than the collins book - more instructional??
BB - for starters it's about 60mm thick and the latest edition has a big design input from Alan Peters (who better), it's full of constructional and 'how to' detail, for example, how would you make a 3D display cabinet joint (as in say a joint for the corner of a display cabinet with glass on 3 sides and mitred on each corner, think about it if you will :? ).....find a copy, read and enjoy, it comes also highly recommended by Mr C as one of the main texts that every aspiring wood working nutter, myself included, should own, 'cept that my copy dates from 1975 :( - Rob

i recommend joining fine woodworking.com if not now maybe in the future and also most of the fww on books. i also second collins encyclopaedia

woodbloke":3vlo9x0v said:
'cept that my copy dates from 1975 :(
No worries, Rob - it's not like it's been updated... :roll: :lol: The Collins one is good for giving a clear visual of basic stuff; Joyce is less instant gratification IME. Argument for both, but I'd start with Collins every time.

Perhaps it's just me, but I find the Complete Illustrated strand from Taunton go too far towards the pretty pics and the actual info is pretty sparse. As ever I boringly suggest Charles Hayward's books; excellent, packed with meaty goodness on joints, techniques and hand tool use - again horribly dated on power tools though.

Cheers, Alf

surely the problem with all the books is that power tools go out of fashion very quickly these days, so the books become very dated almost by the time they are produced.

joyce is to me very good, but like many of the earlier english books overfull of detail which whilst informative can be intimidating.

the collins book is certainly less intimidating and more colourful :roll:

and although the taunton books seem a little glib, the pictures offer some decent guidance to those trying to re-activate old memories.

one of the differences is to do with continuous work at wood, and restarting, the hobby/ work. if you have always worked in wood, you need to check and update your skills. if you are re-learning you need to be shown the possibilities then learn the techniques which to me the taunton series help explain more clearly.

but like sharpening at the end it is what works for you. shame there are so few libraries these days where you can go and check out the books before having to buy. :?

paul :wink:

Also try your local library, you can give them the name(s) of a book and they can get it for you. :wink:

OK - I'll go out on a limb here and recommend "The Seven Essentials of Woodworking" by Anthony Guidice published by Sterling as ISBN 0-8069-2527-2.

Anthony Guidice has an unreasonable and outdated aversion to any Western saw that isn't a bow saw but his general approach is extremely practical. Make no mistake about it, if you can live with his grumpy and irreverent style of writing, a beginner can learn a lot about woodworking from him. The colour photographs are excellent too.

Regards.

Thanks for all your suggestions. Interesting how many times the same books came up.

Can I make a suggestion of my own: The Workbench book by Scott Landis

Nick

Nicknoxx":nr7odh2w said:
suitable reading material covering practical advice on the use of table saws, routers and general woodworking please?

I have just started to dabble in the world of woodwork and the first books that I started to collect are the 'Time Life' series, there are 2 sets , one is called 'The Art Of Woodworking' which covers the techniques of just about evrything and the other set is called 'Woodsmith, Custom Woodworking' which is full of projects from Jigs to Classic furniture.

Each set comprises of 20 books and can be quite expensive if bought new, around £20 a book, but you can get them quite cheaply on ebay and Amazon.

I have got 37 so far costing about £80 inc postage, I reckon that's a bargain.

All the best.................Martin

I've got a spare copy of the Albert Jackson/David Day Manual of Woodworking that any member can have FOC if they want it. I live in Wakefield if any locals are interested, could post I suppose though its fairly heavy. John

Like Alf, I think the Taunton books are short on everything but pictures.

Here's my philosophy on woodworking books. Too many modern books either give scant "good" information or they give too much of unhelpful information.

Any of Hayward's books are recommended.

As well, the Wells & Hooper book Modern Cabinet Work, Furniture and Fitments remains a standard book. I believe it has recently been reprinted.

Modern Practical Joinery by George Ellis is a classic in every sense of the word. I feel strongly enough about that I just ordered a new copy.

For a newer and very good book on joinery specifically and using a few means of making joints (hand and power), I recommend Terrie Noll's book The Joint Book.

Take care, Mike

Back