Router advice please....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no experience of quality or reliability (maybe others can advise) but I’d look at a Trend T4.
About £60 and the there are a large range of guide bushes available for it without messing about with adapters.
For a bit more, it can be found bundled with a stater set of about a dozen Trend router bits.
Get to know this machine then you’ll probably want a 12” machine to complement it.
Absolute Junk. Mine was only doing very light occasional DIY work, went through 2 speed controls in 6 months, then came to use it again after it's warranty had expired. Speed control failed again, Trend were not interested\helpful whatsoever.

Small routers are useful sometimes but don't forget that 95% of what a small router can do can be done with a large router - the reverse is far from true. I use a Bosch POF50* because its size and light weight sometimes make it convenient, but I can't recall ever using it because I couldn't have used the large one.

* a router of this design will fit a drill stand with a 43mm collar, which can be very useful.

I have a trend clone 1/4 inch router you can have FOC (FERM). I am going past preston on the 8th Nov. Drop me a pm if you want it. It does need a couple of yhumbscrews but otherwise all there
Ian

As an aside
you need to use foodsafe glue or any finish
have a look at peter millard chopping board videos

and rag n bone brown

maybe wrong -

Routers can and do vary in quality. I have a Trend T4 ( bought in impulse at a show ) and it vibrates so badly with a heavy bit that it is unusable.
For the kind of job you describe you will need a fence or a wheeled bracket to run along the edge. It should also be a plunge router and a plunge base is of course an extra for the basic trim routers. I stick to Makita routers as they are modular and very smooth in operation. Makita also make their own range of guide bushes which are actually very useful as the need arises.
For routing a groove in a board I would drill a small hole first to allow the router bit to plunge without grabbing the wood. Just buy one good router bit to do the job and they will last a lifetime.

Ok....this has now advanced beyond a router question!

That's because I've spent the morning looking for a suitable hardwood but not been able to source anything suggested other than.......a piece of sycamore that a local limber yard has kindly chopped straight off a trunk for me. So, my original plan to make a board has now moved to a different idea and I'll be seeking your expert advice under a new thread......"Live edge chopping board".....

I have a trend clone 1/4 inch router you can have FOC (FERM). I am going past preston on the 8th Nov. Drop me a pm if you want it. It does need a couple of yhumbscrews but otherwise all there
Ian
Wow, Ian that;'s very kind of you! I am bogged down with a couple of medical appointments on the 8th, but could be around after 3.30?

Will send you a pm. Im walking in the lakes on the 8th but dont have times yet so dont know when I am passing
Ian

Ok thanks. Umm, when you say "thumbscrews are missing", is that something easily solved? I know, it sounds picky.... Have a good day in the lakes, hope the weather is kind!

Absolute Junk. Mine was only doing very light occasional DIY work, went through 2 speed controls in 6 months, then came to use it again after it's warranty had expired. Speed control failed again, Trend were not interested\helpful whatsoever.

Thanks although it is a shame.
I have two ancient Bosch POF500s which I think the Trend T4 is modelled on.
I like the POF500s a lot although I wish they took standard guide bushes and to a lesser extent had variable speed both of which the T4 has. I have a trend universal base plate but it restricts the plunge depth too much and I am not a fan of collet extensions. 😕

Small routers are useful sometimes but don't forget that 95% of what a small router can do can be done with a large router - the reverse is far from true. I use a Bosch POF50* because its size and light weight sometimes make it convenient, but I can't recall ever using it because I couldn't have used the large one.

* a router of this design will fit a drill stand with a 43mm collar, which can be very useful.

I have only once used a POF500 because my half inch router was too big.
We had a door with no drip channel cut into the underside of the weather bar allowing water to seep in. The base plate on the POF500 was small enough to run against the bottom of the door and rout a suitable groove. (I did double check for nails and screws first 😱)

Latest posts

Back