Portable table saw advice?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victorthesecond

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I am very limited on space and wondered if anyone had a good idea for a small portable table saw, ideally that I can store in my shed and use on my B&D workmate or my Keter workbench when necessary.

I've seen a few around on the likes of Amazon (eg this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Einhell-TC...345&sprefix=Portable+table+saw,aps,259&sr=8-5), but would just appreciate advice on things generally.

My projects tend to be smaller things (I'm not making furniture or other large items) but I thought a table saw would help in getting very clean and accurate cuts and would help if I needed to rip longer pieces.

Thanks in advance, and a very Happy New Year to all!

I’ve not used the Einhell saw, maybe it’s great value, but at £89 for a table saw I’d be questioning the quality and safety.

Whenever I’ve bought a cheapo tool I’ve always had crappy results and felt really deflated. And then when I’ve spent a bit more on something decent I’ve realised it wasn’t my poor skills giving poor results but the cheap tool itself.

I thought I was useless at sharpening chisels and gouges until I got rid of my cheapo bench grinder, thought I was hopeless at soldering until I bought a good quality soldering iron etc.

I thought a table saw would help in getting very clean and accurate cuts

100% but only as clean and accurate as the quality of the tool itself will allow 👍👍

Also have the Dewalt DW7485 and can highly recommend. If you want something that's for really small working, you could always go for a Proxxon Fet Table Saw.

Last edited:
Dewalt defiantly have a good range of job site saws , mine is similar to the dw745 mentioned above but the 110v version . Imo the only disadvantage is the noise but I can live with it as I only use it outside . The accuracy is more important so setting it up correctly is essential . I’d avoid the really cheap saws tbh as mentioned safety and quality / accuracy will be in short supply .. good luck

What do you currently use to make clean and accurate cuts?

Every video on Youtube seems to use a table saw, but that's a different market to the UK. Do you have a track saw? Or even a circular saw with a good guide?

Do you have a budget in mind? Small & good table saws aren't cheap.

A Dewalt flip over saw is definitely a good buy. I used one for years, its only problem was its a bit heavy to get out of the van.

Ollie

My suggestion is the Coronet CONSORT .It has a quiet universal type of motor unlike most of the modern ‘hobby ‘ type of saw tables . There is a man in Blackpool who has used one on site work for many years and he raves about it . He also sells them ..

Thanks for all the advice! I'm taking it all on board and will increase the budget. The main thing is that it has to be fairly small when not in use as I have very limited storage space. But, I get the general theme that buying cheap is usually a bad idea!

When I read about these portable machines, I often wonder if folks might get the impression
these might be stable enough on their own.
Just worth mentioning, possibly for someone's sake.
This is the best example of that what I've seen, can't remember if the machine were clamped down or screwed, but it failed, and the hand instantly went down on the bed to stop it from tipping off.
And as mentioned noisy as, without a proper induction motor which run quieter, which isn't just
a pleasantry the way I see it.
I'd have a guess, were that machine below something of better quality, but "portable" ...
then it likely would have inspired the user to make something solid for it to stay,
and perhaps encouraged infeed or outfeeds too.

Screenshot-2021-4-20 MY PLANER ACCIDENT - YouTube.png

👮‍♂️Safety police lecture over!.

All the best
Tom

When I read about these portable machines, I often wonder if folks might get the impression
these might be stable enough on their own.
Just worth mentioning, possibly for someone's sake.
This is the best example of that what I've seen, can't remember if the machine were clamped down or screwed, but it failed, and the hand instantly went down on the bed to stop it from tipping off.
And as mentioned noisy as, without a proper induction motor which run quieter, which isn't just
a pleasantry the way I see it.
I'd have a guess, were that machine below something of better quality, but "portable" ...
then it likely would have inspired the user to make something solid for it to stay,
and perhaps encouraged infeed or outfeeds too.

View attachment 173185
👮‍♂️Safety police lecture over!.

All the best
Tom
It's good advice, Tom, thanks for sharing. The assumption would be that they'd be ok but you're right to take it into consideration. Id be interested to know if they can be secured to a B&D workmate via the Benchclaw that I've used to secure a mitre saw.

I was helping a buddy the other day set up his SawStop Compact Saw. He has the optional stand and set up is quite solid yet the saw can be carried with one hand. I think it weighs about 30 kilos. I noticed in the information on the saw that they have a 50hertz version for Australia so perhaps they will be bringing them out in your market at some point soon. I have no idea if one could be brought in from Australia in your baggage. It would cost about £800 if there are no additional taxes over what we pay. Decent saw from what I could see and try.

Pete

I suggest a bandsaw for the job, get something like an old 400 or 440mm wheeled Italian saw,
or something along the same lines as best as you can tell, which would be able to tension a 3/4" carbide blade, if you want a clean finish off the saw.
Otherwise just use a hand plane.

Something like below, but for half the price, or less if a bit rougher.
Worth mentioning since you likely play guitar, much safer, though these wee bandsaws
are still a bit compact in that regards too, as Derek Cohen has mentioned with his N4400
but a lot more predictable in use.
That compact issue though easily sortable with some thought.

Bandsaws and hand planes for me, I try not use my tablesaw and sander if I can help it, cough, cough, splutter, splutter!

Screenshot-2022-10-13 ACM BS 440 Vertical Band Saw (vat 20% is included in the price ) eBay.png
N'RA 400.jpg
SP400 £600.jpg
multico bandsaw.jpeg

I suggest a bandsaw for the job, get something like an old 400 or 440mm wheeled Italian saw,
or something along the same lines as best as you can tell, which would be able to tension a 3/4" carbide blade, if you want a clean finish off the saw.
Otherwise just use a hand plane.

Something like below, but for half the price, or less if a bit rougher.
Worth mentioning since you likely play guitar, much safer, though these wee bandsaws
are still a bit compact in that regards too, as Derek Cohen has mentioned with his N4400
but a lot more predictable in use.
That compact issue though easily sortable with some thought.

Bandsaws and hand planes for me, I try not use my tablesaw and sander if I can help it, cough, cough, splutter, splutter!

View attachment 173208View attachment 173209View attachment 173210View attachment 173211
Thank you; yes, I'm a guitarist so my fingers are quite precious!

Back