Hi everyone

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martin blake

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say hello from a budding woodworker.

I am an architect who likes to be a bit hands on and very much enjoy the DIY side of things and putting some of my creative skills into actually making things rather than conceptualising on a computer.

I have a bit of woodworking knowledge but very much a novice, especially in terms of building up an equipped workshop: where to start, there's so much to think about and choose from.

My intention is to build up my skills to build small furniture projects and built in furniture for around the house.

Any advice on first tools to buy for the workshop would be most welcome.

All the best,
Martin

Hi and welcome , I’d probably say start with a basic kit of hand tools , then consider what you will be making and go from there ,, a mitre saw is always useful and a track saw will allow you to break up sheets of ply and mdf etc . Many on here will agree but for many reasons you will never have enough as it’s almost an addiction 🤑🤑🤑 don’t rule out auctions car boots and charity shops and of course the for sale section of this forum . I’m 58 and I’ve been buying tools since I was about 12 and I don’t intend to stop . A mix of replacing worn or damaged tools edit … having probs with my phone so in short decide what tools are relevant to what you will make and then decide is it hand tools or power tools or a combination of both .. good luck

Hi. Welcome to the forum. Whereabouts in the country are you? Pop into your local Machine Mart, They have a 'price crash' on woodwork stuff at the moment.

Start with essential basics like ruler, tape measure, square, saws (tenon and rip), chisels, mallet, clamps (you can never have enough clamps), drill + bits, screwdrivers (the magnetic kits are handy but nothing beats individual drivers (well, apart from a battery one perhaps) and a couple of sizes of hammer. You need a bench - nothing fancy to start, just a surface to work on, though once you start planing (that'll be day 2 :D) you'll need sturdy legs on it. That will get you making stuff to begin and you will work out what else you need pretty quickly. Oh and a nail punch too.

Don't forget to get about 70 pencils too - try not to lose all of them...

Anyway you've found a really good forum here, some very knowledgeable and helpful people (even if they don't always agree)

Start with essential basics like ruler, tape measure, square, saws (tenon and rip), chisels, mallet, clamps (you can never have enough clamps), drill + bits, screwdrivers (the magnetic kits are handy but nothing beats individual drivers (well, apart from a battery one perhaps) and a couple of sizes of hammer. You need a bench - nothing fancy to start, just a surface to work on, though once you start planing (that'll be day 2 :D) you'll need sturdy legs on it. That will get you making stuff to begin and you will work out what else you need pretty quickly. Oh and a nail punch too.

Don't forget to get about 70 pencils too - try not to lose all of them...

Anyway you've found a really good forum here, some very knowledgeable and helpful people (even if they don't always agree)
70 pencils last about a month, like clamps you can never have too many pencils 😄

Back