Questions for the 2015 Challenges

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grahamshed

Established Member
Reaction score
So, the new year is fast approaching and as (hopefully) most of you will know I am going to be running a cut down version of the challenge in the form of four independent quarterly challenges, from which an overall winner will be chosen by forum members at the end of the year.
Richard and Paul have kindly agreed to do the judging again and the competitors will also be involved in much the same way as they were this year. The main difference will be that as the challenges are independent there will be no need for a points ‘running total’
We have some decisions to make in the next couple of weeks, namely…..

1… Do we want a quarterly and annual prize for the winner like this year ? If so I will try and contact Daven and see if he is willing to make them again, but it will involve members making a voluntary Paypal donation, as happened this year, to cover the costs involved. Alternatively, perhaps winners could put something in their sig line to show they have won a challenge.

2… I tentatively suggested the themes for the 4 challenges being.
Spring – A lidded box.
Summer – A bowl.
Autumn - a pair of candlesticks.
Winter – A goblet.
My reasoning for this was that there were 2 hollowing type exercises, 1 Spindle exercise and 1 combination. Does anyone have thoughts, or other suggestions ?

3… What are your thoughts about having two categories, one for ‘beginners’ and one for ‘experienced turners’ My thoughts are that if we do this YOU decide which category YOU want to enter for each challenge. You may feel quite experienced in one challenge bur an absolute beginner in another. Lets talk about this.

4… I think you should be able to make more than one entry if you wish, and perhaps into both categories if you wish. What do you think.

Enough to be going on with. Lets talk.

as a novice..i really am...been turning less than a year

yet i got last months result

so drop the expert novice thing in my opinion
i don't expect that my attempts to stand up to the quality turners again will happen...but will have a good go
but it is a competition and i guess it even pressures the more "qualified" sometimes
i was so intimidated by the quality of turners on here..but i had fun and tried
otherwise it is a bit like letting kids cheat....whats the point longterm
rant over

Steve

It would appear that I have missed out on something here
Can I ask What's happened or is going to happen to the monthly challenge ??

RogerBoyle":1qbvvh8s said:
It would appear that I have missed out on something here
Can I ask What's happened or is going to happen to the monthly challenge ??
Hi Roger.
Mike has run the challenge for the last year but is unable to continue with it for next year so he asked for volunteers. Nobody wanted, or felt able, to make the commitment to run it ( including me ) so eventually I offered to run a cut down version which is what you see above. Not the same but hopefully better than nothing.

I'm with Steve on the novice bit, there should be no skill category, just open to all.

Now do I think I'll ever win a challenge, I don't think so, but the one thing it will do is bring up my skill level by learning from what other make.
Lets keep in simple.

Mmm. One week, over 200 views and only 2 comments ( which I am in agreement with ). Does that mean that you are all happy with my plans or that none of you are interested ?

Grahamshed

Personally, I like all of the options that you have expressed.

Given a choice, I would like to see one category for beginners and one for more experienced turners. I would hope that by doing so it would encourage more novice turners to take the leap of faith and start entering the challenge.

Simply looking at the list of items to be turned appears very challenging to me at this point as I have only really ever turned a bowl (and most of the time not very well).

Having said that, however, I still plan on attempting to turn each and every one of these items next year. As a beginner, if the choice exists. If not, then I will have to have a run with all of the more experienced folk.

Thanks for the time and effort in putting this all together. I can't speak for everyone but I know that I sure appreciate the opportunity that you have allowed for us to take part in.

Bubba

I'm in agreement with the other comments above that I think it shouldn't be split into categories, if the numbers this year are a fair reflection then I don't think there will be enough to have two categories. Happy with the rest of it though, stick at it Graham, I'm sure it's appreciated even if no one is showing it!

Hi Graham , seems to me you have the basis of the Challenge right now and that is the way you should proceed.

I think you have the go ahead of what is wanted and you should sort out what way you are going to present it and that is it .

Post your rules and let the turning begin . Over the years many rules have been offered and adopted by people who have not bothered to submit an entry, and the longer you leave this open to debate the more rules and changes will be proposed so if you have a clear mandate in your head post it and let members know what is going to happen .

I wish you well with what you decide and will look forward to the Challenge for 2015 [ as a non entrant ]

Take care .

GS,

Sincere apologies for not responding earlier, I think I must ahve missed the opening.

I agree with your suggestions, and I promise to do my level best to get an entry in each category. (Fr forgive me, for I have sinned...)

Thanks for volunteering.

Greg

Thanks for the comments guys. I think Boysie is right and I should just get on with it so I will publish next years challenges and rules in a week or so. More comments are welcome in the meantime.

I agree with the concept of an open approach as opposed to a divided approach too, it would be very difficult to arbitrate as to who was rightly or otherwise classified, even if the entrants made the decision, there is still the potential for disagreement which would be counter productive.

I think your plan is a very good one Graham, I am sure it will prove to be a popular and successful challenge.

I like the idea of a beginner and more experienced sections.

However I'm not sure what I would enter. I've been turning for some years now but I don't feel my skills are in level with the years I've been doing it.
I don't have a mentor to turn to other than you guys so find it hard to progress really.
I find some things I turn are really good but then the next.... not so good.

With the challenges I also find I have a really bad habit of thinking about my entry for far too long and leaving the actual turning till the last minute then it's too late! !

I'm going to try and participate next year however I have a rather demanding but exciting new job starting February so we'll see!!

I would like to thank everybody right back to the beginning though for creating and keeping this challenge going. It really is a treasure to cherish.
Gives me something to think about when doing something boring with not much brain exercise! !!

Grahamshed":ythqxbk7 said:
2… I tentatively suggested the themes for the 4 challenges being.
Spring – A lidded box.
Summer – A bowl.
Autumn - a pair of candlesticks.
Winter – A goblet.
My reasoning for this was that there were 2 hollowing type exercises, 1 Spindle exercise and 1 combination. Does anyone have thoughts, or other suggestions ?

Enough to be going on with. Lets talk.

I believe all of these things have been made before. I know I am a newcomer here but I would like to see some encouragement for any new concept, novel or original item. Don't know how you could include that in your proposal, perhaps one annual innovation freestyle entry? to run concurrent with your four seasonal exercises?

woodfarmer":39eijctv said:
....I would like to see some encouragement for any new concept, novel or original item. .....

As a measure of controlled accurate turning I would like to see an item made from multiple pieces requiring a good fit of components so that joints are visible and stand close inspection.

Does not have to be the generally accepted view of a segmented construction, indeed far from it, with all joints formed on the lathe.

A multiple sectioned, differing woods perhaps, Vase, Cake Stand, Goblet, Christmas decoration, Bowl.

Just an object that needs some controlled attention to dimensioning/joint accuracy to get a good fit, possibly needing a bit of ingenuity on holding methods to assemble, turn & finish, emphasis on using what's available on a basic lathe rather than needing expensive tooling.
joints.jpg

Attachments

• joints.jpg
    joints.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 649
OK Woodfarmer, Chas, I am in some agreement with both of you but need to bear in mind how many people have brought up the issue of them being beginners ( as I am as well )

Chas, you will need to clarify for me. The two pics you have shown could easily be made by laminating several pieces of wood in ' the square' as it were and then turning but you talk of making the joints on the lathe. I can see how the goblet stem would be made separately but how about the rest ?

Grahamshed":2ihp21zd said:
Chas, you will need to clarify for me. The two pics you have shown could easily be made by laminating several pieces of wood in ' the square' as it were and then turning but you talk of making the joints on the lathe. I can see how the goblet stem would be made separately but how about the rest ?

That was the point, for those folks who have not got thicknessers or Hand Plane skills to prepare stock, explore how to do it on the lathe.

One assembly method does not have to be expensive CA glue, just takes a little longer with PVA.

Have a look at the other WIP
Or This

Ignore the Angled Segment aspects but you will see perhaps 30-50% of the joints are done on the lathe.

I'd like to see the thoughts explored as to how you do the ringed lid for instance on the lathe so that the joint is perfect both top and bottom every time. (it does not even require the bores to be measured) Adds an element of controlled turning.

Choice of Shape or Form of the piece will add the holding requirement ingenuity. Just make sure it's all possible for someone with a minimum of tooling/chucks etc.

Grahamshed":2i8g6z11 said:
OK Woodfarmer, Chas, I am in some agreement with both of you but need to bear in mind how many people have brought up the issue of them being beginners ( as I am as well )

You don't necessarily need to be a highly skilled turner to have an original idea or project, What I hoped to see were some new things for us to try. Just put together well enough to get the idea. The idea is the project, The "How to" will depend on peoples skills and thought processes.

woodfarmer":2krz4bp1 said:
You don't necessarily need to be a highly skilled turner to have an original idea or project,
This is true. I had been turning less than a year when I made this
Gumball4_zps0c1c5d28.jpg

As far as I know it's an original idea. I still don't know of anyone else turning working gumball machines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back