Problem with a door

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gatesmr2

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Sort or woodwork related

I am tyring to fit a new door where our front door used to be, now have a porch with a hardwood door so putting a normal door in its place.
My problem seems to be what i would assume is a weather strip at the bottom of the frame.
Its a strip of metal sunk into the frame but who ever installed it have made a mess of it, nothing new as i am finding loads of annoying little problems like this over the house :evil:
To start with its not straight, also its not set at the right depth as the frame, upon taking off the old door have noticed a strip has been added at the bottom about 28mm to fit the weather strip, the old door being 40mm thick.
My new door is 30mm width so i can't fit the door in, its also a hollow door so i can't shave some off the bottom.
Ok hope that all made sense so now the question ?
I want to remove the metal strip without damaging the frame how deep are they normally set and is there an easy way of removing them. I have thought about an angle grinder but as it sits close to the frame i have a bit each side of about 30mm that would mean cutting into the frame.
Sorry if i have not described it very well but any help would be very useful

Thanks

Martin

The metal bars usually extend beyond the opening and under the two sides of the frame, you would have to cut down each side, remove the center section then try to pull the ends out. They are typically set 12-15mm down into the cill so any cutting will mean cutting into the wood.

You should have about 25mm to play with at the bottom of the door.

Personally I would not fit a hollow internal door in this situation and before doing so its worth checking with your insurance company that they don't require a more substantial door with BS mortice locks or multi point locking.

Jason

Your're on a no starter fitting a hollow internal door...and 30mm thick ??? all internal doors I fit are 35mm.....I am currently fitting 6 oak faced 6 panel doors....

You MUST fit and external door ad use 3 quality 4" hinges, any glass in the door MUST be toughened. Locks must be mi nimum5 lever preferably have a BS stamp on.

What is the size of the opening ? you should be able to get a door to fit even if it means trimming it, it should have a 2mm gap all around and sit flush with the door stop. the weather bar if fitted to the threshold may be almost impossible to remove as some are barbed, so that when they are hammered in the won't come out !!
Any problems PM me.

I was given a good tip and used it for all my internal doors, take of the existing door and lay it on the new door and clamp them together, get as close as you can with a c/s or hand saw and then finish off with a bearing mounted straight cutter for an exact copy (assuming the original door fitted okay) I got a qualified carpenter to fit my front door as it was mahogany and cost me £185.00 and I was'nt prepared to cock it up, he charged me £100.00 and took him about 4 hrs, I understood that only the lower sections of glass had to be toughened to protect small children but I like the idea of the top section being toughened also.

Rich.

ALL glass in ANY door MUST be toughened. It takes a good 4-6 hours to fit a quality front door.

best stuff is by a company called SWEDOOR, full door set inc frame is approx £600 and knock UPVC into a cocked hat !!

Hiya

Thanks for your replies.

Not sure i explained the situation properly :oops:

The porch is like a little room with a nice new hardwood door in place, along with lots of other building work all passed by the local control officer.
I can see your point about needing to put a hardwood door in its place for insurance etc but is this still the case now i have explained it correctly.

Also thanks for the advice on the metal strip :evil: at least now i know i can't get it out etc unless i put a whole new frame in. I am thinking of getting a solid wood door now as i can rebate the bottom to ensure a proper fit. I need or would like should i say to have glass panels something like this
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Interior-Softwo ... nvt/187573
so as to add some light as before it was very dark, its at the bottom of my stairs so only half glazed is probably better this is just like the door i was trying to fit before apart from it being solid wood.

And thanks Busy Builder my mistake it was only a quick flick with the tape measure it is in fact 35mm. The door fits nicely apart for the damn metal strip getting in the way.
And most doors take me a good few hours to get them just right, i know you can't see it once it up but to me it sticks out like a sore thumb every time i look at it. I blame Tommy Walsh with his f......g 2p gap now i try and make sure it is the same all the way around.

Thanks again shame i can't really offer you guys much advice in return being a chef and just starting with this woodwork lark, but you advice and help is much appreciated.

Martin

Latest posts

Back