Bathroom Stud partition

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuckinthemud

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, so, studding. I have put up a few (literally, I have built four over the past 2 decades) . The framing out and door lining I understand but I normally don’t bother plastering over the plasterboards, just using lining paper as a quick fix. My better half has been known to change her mind. Only one of the partitions has survived the test of time. Anyway, the plan is to tile up to 2m, then bathroom paint over lining paper to ceiling height. The panel will support a sliding door. Would you/should I use insulation board in the panel? Also, there are quite a lot of pipes immediately below the floor boards so I’m a bit concerned about fixing the floor plate. Any ideas?

Also, there are quite a lot of pipes immediately below the floor boards so I’m a bit concerned about fixing the floor plate. Any ideas?

Use screws that project from the floor plate no more than the floor boards are thick.

Locate the pipes and do not put a screw where there is a pipe.

Depending where in the bathroom it might be worth using Hardie backer board or similar.
Not sure exactly what you mean by insulation board or why really, obviously it’s an internal wall so not normally insulated as far as I know.

If there is a bedroom on the other side of the stud wall, do put sound insulation in, especially if you plan to fix a toilet wall holder on that wall!

Don't use lining paper as a quick fix. Tape and fill the joints, American style. It's not difficult to do and you can get amazing results. Loads of online tutorials. Just make sure you use self adhesive scrim to make it easier.

I use foam tile backer board in bathroom/shower areas, very lighweight and easy to cut completely waterproof.
Loads of different thicknesses including 12mm matching plasterboard and can also be plaster skimmed.

Back