Made mistake plastering bathroom. Backerboard?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 3 of these jobs to do in the next couple of months, they do 1000mm sheets so no joints apart from the corner in standard shower cubicles. I’ll be using the 10mm sheets. Only ever done 1 before but the panels were cheap and nasty . You could see the joints in places which put me off but they are better now . I’m looking at a company called eurocel.co.uk/shop

If you want to comply with Building Regs / best practice, the guidance is properly waterproof wet areas.

This article is quite helpful: https://probuildermag.co.uk/features/a-guide-to-waterproofing-legislation

I'm just doing a new bathroom in our house and have used 10mm cement board, all taped and tanked with one of the common kits, then tiled with 100% (ie not dab and dot) waterproof adhesive coverage and waterproof epoxy grout. It is a real pain fixing damage from leaky showers and baths and I would not dream of using plasterboard in wet areas.

Last edited:
I suggest you send off for free sample pieces of the different ranges, primarily to see how soft they are - too soft and they will show any mark by gentle contact with the board, something you definitely don't want.

@Bingy man do have a look at the Bushboard Nuance range they are superb and as I said above do a cubicle range with post formed edge on the return if needed, my last was 1200 x 1000 with only one join on the 1200 wall, I do have a pic somewhere and will post it here if I find it, forgot to mention, no need for corner trims: have a look here: https://www.tbspanels.com/nuance--a...ll-shower-recess-2900-p.asp?_=&variantid=2901
Thanks for this link ,, I’m having a bad day atm a complete crock of sh….. so I’ll take a look later . I’m a little unsure as this is the first time using these panels on my own and I really want to make a 1st class job as I’m getting too old for days of tiling ,followed by all those cuts and then finally the grouting.. might even do my own bathroom which is now very tired .👍👍

Another vote for BB Nuance, been using it for quite some time, this is one I did a couple of years ago, not everyone's taste, but it is in an old barn so looked appropriate in the setting, the long back wall was 1800mm wide, they were T&G but the repeat pattern was the wrong way round so I butt joined the boards, need a keen eye to spot it!

Nuance BB.jpgNuance BB1.jpg

And so quick to install, need to be good at setting out though, a method I've mastered. 😎

Most important part to get right is the level of the shower tray, everything else is set out from there, did not help on my very old flint cottage that the walls, ceiling and floors are not straight or level, should have put the loo seat down for the pic, but Oh well it was only for my records, @Bingy man did this by myself when I was 75 so not a great hardship, cutting was with a plunge track saw and if I remember an 80 tooth blade, carried panels up and down stairs so not that heavy, a lot lighter than box's of tiles and buckets or grout.

DSC02471.jpg
DSC02490.jpg

@Bingy man do have a look at the Bushboard Nuance range they are superb and as I said above do a cubicle range with post formed edge on the return if needed, my last was 1200 x 1000 with only one join on the 1200 wall, I do have a pic somewhere and will post it here if I find it, forgot to mention, no need for corner trims: have a look here: https://www.tbspanels.com/nuance--a...ll-shower-recess-2900-p.asp?_=&variantid=2901
I’ve finally found a bit of time to take a look at these panels . They look awesome and clearly at the top end of what these panels but cost for my friends they are likely to be outside their price range . I’m panelling The entire bathroom ceiling and walls and the shower is from insignia- unlike traditional showers the enclosure fits within the tray so any leaks from the enclosure itself are directed straight back into the tray . They are also quite expensive but it comes complete with the tray ,enclosure, and shower- it has mood lights ( colour changing) and Bluetooth radio) the whole thing is assembled and then connected and slid into its final position so best on a tiled surface .

Sponsored

insigniashowers.com
https://www.insigniashowers.com
Shower Cabins & Steam Enclosures | Insignia Showers

Worth a look if anyone is thinking of a new shower as there is virtually no chance of water leaking from the shower if installed correctly

@Bingy man Have you installed one of these before? my past experience of a similar solution (client supplied) wasn't good, in fact the cardboard box it came in was more stable than the shower structure, needless to say it went back in the box, and sent back.

Then to the other extreme did a fit on a £5K Jacuzzi curved walled shower system with all the bells and whistles, 4 of us tried but couldn't get it to line up, they sent 3 new curved panels over a period, for us to try, all skipped, and then their own people 6 times to try and sort it, they finally got it together, with one of them saying on his departure "its not a submarine you know" he was right, leaked like a sieve next day, it all got ripped out, and money back.

@Bingy man Have you installed one of these before? my past experience of a similar solution (client supplied) wasn't good, in fact the cardboard box it came in was more stable than the shower structure, needless to say it went back in the box, and sent back.

Then to the other extreme did a fit on a £5K Jacuzzi curved walled shower system with all the bells and whistles, 4 of us tried but couldn't get it to line up, they sent 3 new curved panels over a period, for us to try, all skipped, and then their own people 6 times to try and sort it, they finally got it together, with one of them saying on his departure "its not a submarine you know" he was right, leaked like a sieve next day, it all got ripped out, and money back.
Tbh at first I was a little confused and and also concerned as to how it all worked. However once I got my head around it I was actually reasonably impressed. The instructions were downloaded via a link are a bit so so . I did a dry run having done the first fix plumbing and it went ok . I identified a couple of issues and adjusted the plumbing as a result. The other issue is the lowest fixing to bolt the back panel to the side is below the top of the tray by 30mm is meaning access is difficult but this only applies to the 2 lowest fixing points. All was ok so I didn’t bother to fit the roof panel ( mistake 1 ) and come install day I just repeated the dry run (mistake 2 / 3 ) I’d used their rubber gum to seal as per instruction but there was no reference points so the 2 sides would line up and as it was sat in ghis rubber gum getting it to move was extremely difficult especially as the back panel is glass . Got there eventually with just the roof to fit but it wouldn’t fit. The doorway profiles were upside down and wrong handed 😩😩😣😣🥲🥲 again had to battle with the dreaded rubber gum to correct the issue.. so apart from I built this on my own 2 people would be a lot easier especially as the one I fitted was the twin shower 1400x 900 I think. Would I recommend these shower units -in short yes . But do the dry run as far as the panels and frames , watch out for the door frame profiles, don’t use the rubber gum , I’d recommend using blocks of 2x2 to jack ghe panels up so you can access those 2 lower fixings. Then simply drop onto 3/4 mm glazing shims to lift it slightly above the raised sections of the tray seal the gaps between the panels and the raised sections Of the tray once everything is lined up . Other than the connecting hoses to the hot and cold everything is supplied. You need a single socket to connect the electrics but this is via a supplied dc transformer -soz about the long post but useful info if any members like the idea .

Attachments

• IMG_3065.png
    IMG_3065.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3066.png
    IMG_3066.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3067.png
    IMG_3067.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3070.png
    IMG_3070.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
The 2 red arrows are the 2 profiles I got mixed up . Just bear in mind if you intend fitting one it’s the opposite of other showers in that you level the tray in it’s final position which can be awkward depending on the existing floor - this one was out front to back and right to left by 3/4 “ . Then once you have your plumbing and electrical work sorted the tray is pulled away from the final position and built up in sections within the tray . Then pushed a close enough to connect waste( flexible) and plumbing and electric check your plumbing for leaks and then pushed into its final position. You may have to create a void at the back and to the right ( twin shower) to accommodate the waste / plumbing as any future maintenance will need you slide the entire tray/ enclosure out to gain access . Bit of silicone spray works wonders but tiled floor is the key ..

Back