Kitchen shelf design - strong enough ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sickasapike

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm hoping to get some opinions on some kitchen shelves I'm aiming to build if you'd be so kind (or unkind, for that matter !).

The wood I'm using is some really nice maple I got from a recycling place, so I only have so much and can't/don't want to buy in more. It's a bunch of kitchen cupboard doors (2 quid each, bargain !), one decent size plank that's just big enough for 2 shelves and a few short lengths of thinner planks that have been glued together with a 25mm offset.

The shelves are intended for fairly heavy stuff like glass jars of pulses, stack of pyrex bowls etc so need to be quite beefy, not hang-offable bt strong. The walls are crumbly old brick/plaster and stud/drywall (on long and short edges respectively) and of course I want as few fixings on display as possible, ideally none at all, this will all just be sanded and oiled.

The boards on the wall hide the mass of brutal holes from the old shelves and roller blind I removed, so wanted a design like this that allows me to reuse some, conceal the rest and avoid any filling/painting etc (yeah, lazy but I've had quite enough of slimes and sludges for the moment having been regrouting and resealing the bathroom !)

The right hand side is above a window and the boards on the left extend below to allow the whole thing to use an existing horizontal support, and allow me to add a hanging/floating drainer rack at some point (it'll be over the draining board).

I've attached a jpg of the Sketchup file of the plan so far, I tried to upload the .skp file but that extension is prohibited, odd (why ?), so I renamed it to .skp.txt and tried, and that extension is prohibited, so renamed to .skp.jpg but it failed to work out the dimesions of the 'image'... so I just uploaded a jpg export instead.

There's no top shelf as I've not got enough timber, so leaving the top shelf out until I have, it'll go flush to the wall so gets a bit more support below but no block on top - I'll not put super heavy stuff on the top shelf anyway.

The strange-ish blocks are cuts from the two planks glued together stock, so the cross-section isn't my idea, just what I have to work with, I (hope I) have just enough of it to make the 20 blocks I'll need. The kitchen will be mildly shakery so the square corners on the supports suit pretty well.

The idea is to secure the blocks to the vertical boards with screws from behind, then screw the boards to the wall in the gaps where the shelves slot into (so invisible), then slot in the shelves (the slots are 50mm deep) and vertically screw 2 or 3 long thick screws down through the upper blocks and shelves into the lower blocks (will be pre-drilled, the holes will be centred about 37.5mm in from the rear edge of the shelves so not right at the edge, should help I think.

What I'm wondering is, will this be strong enough ? Not the maple bowing in the middle, it's the block clamping thing I'm concerned about, I'd like the blocks to be deeper but there's not enough wood to make larger ones. I'm thinking the corner will give the shelves more mutual support, they'll be glued and either splined or dowelled (20mm thick), I was thinking I could also put a pocket hole in at the rear of the joins for good measure.

I wasn't planning to glue the shelves in, just for easier re-use of the timber one day; it wouldnt be a great problem to do so but would rather avoid any glue (apart from that joining the shelves into an L shape).

With this design taking up pretty much all the maple I have, I can only put battens (?) along the rear of the shelves to support the full width of the planks by taking it off the shelf depth unless I use another wood, and don't want to do either.

In general the timber is in great condition, all square and lovely, so I'm trying to do as few cuts as possible to save time (I need to get the kitchen operational pretty quickly for obvious seasonal reasons, the fridge and freezer are currently in the lounge !!) and just cutting down on sanding and compounded inacuracies etc.

Any opinons appreciated, especially negative ones, even more especially negative ones with solutions that don't need any more maple :)

The shelves are away from the wall partly to stop it being a dust collector and to give enough depth for large bowls etc.

...a little later...

I could use the upper support blocks cut down, inverted and attached to the lower ones as in the other image, gives twice as much depth of support but no upper blocks to hold the shelves down, better or worse do you think ? - it adds another join in an easy to spot place and I don't like the look so much, so not really a good solution for me.

Attachments

• Alternative.png
    Alternative.png
    14.3 KB · Views: 298
  • Corner Shelves 3.png
    Corner Shelves 3.png
    48.9 KB · Views: 290
My guess would be that I could make that strong enough if I ran an M16 threaded bar through everything so that it can all be clamped together tight. Your method sounds like it would probably be about OK, but it would be weaker. I think running a bar through would be a bit easier too, if you have a pillar drill.

You don't say how dep the shelves are going to be but, from the drawing, it looks like the blocks are about 25% of the shelf width. If that is true I reckon it could be strong enough because maple it naturally pretty strong and rigid. A lot will depend on the quality of the making - the blocks will need to be perfectly flat and square so that everything goes together really well. Just screws would probably be adequate but glue would add some strength.

Jim

paulrockliffe":v934we7h said:
My guess would be that I could make that strong enough if I ran an M16 threaded bar through everything so that it can all be clamped together tight. Your method sounds like it would probably be about OK, but it would be weaker. I think running a bar through would be a bit easier too, if you have a pillar drill.
Do you mean one through each support from top to bottom with bolts and washers ? - that would be possible yes, though I'd have to buy in the metal, I do have a pillar drill - thanks.

yetloh":ohwfzv7x said:
You don't say how dep the shelves are going to be but, from the drawing, it looks like the blocks are about 25% of the shelf width. If that is true I reckon it could be strong enough because maple it naturally pretty strong and rigid. A lot will depend on the quality of the making - the blocks will need to be perfectly flat and square so that everything goes together really well. Just screws would probably be adequate but glue would add some strength.

Jim
Thanks, the shelves are 170mm deep, 20mm thick; 120mm of shelf extends beyond the blocks, which have 50mm of supporting depth, 70mm wide.

My heavy jars will have the centre of mass about... err... 10mmish behind the edge of the block if pushed back completely to the wall, and 60mmish beyond the blocks if the jar is right at the front edge of the shelf / worst case, but I'd avoid doing that of course.

Yep, I'm very pleased with the strength of the maple, I can't even make the full plank bow as is by leaning on it. Happily it's all factory square, I just need to not add any inaccuracies, my cross cut sled with a stop block should do the trick for most of it.

sickasapike":1khxun4y said:
paulrockliffe":1khxun4y said:
Do you mean one through each support from top to bottom with bolts and washers ? - that would be possible yes, though I'd have to buy in the metal, I do have a pillar drill - thanks.

Yes, with the shelf right back to the wall too. You could probably use M10, but I always go for overkill.

If you can keep most of the weight at the back that would obviously help because most of the force applied by the load is vertical. This also helps if you are forced to rely on plenty of fixings into a less tham ideal wall. How about soem pics of the finished article?

Jim

20mm thick maple? Well you're certainly not going to have any trouble with the shelves bowing!

yetloh":3dgs7s0g said:
If you can keep most of the weight at the back that would obviously help because most of the force applied by the load is vertical. This also helps if you are forced to rely on plenty of fixings into a less tham ideal wall. How about soem pics of the finished article?
Jim
I've decided to go with that design but take down the shelf depth a couple of cm, the jars are all 12cm on a side so 15cm shelves are fine and less rotational stress (whatever the term is) on the fixings right there for the same load of jars given a randomish spread front to back, as it'll no doubt be.

Sure, will post pics, it should be before Christmas now I've pretty much decided on the design.

ED65":2cn27q3r said:
20mm thick maple? Well you're certainly not going to have any trouble with the shelves bowing!
No indeed, it seems super strong; Maple is now officially my first hardwood love, can't wait to get my snazzy new Freud blades into it :)

paulrockliffe":1fjtbzk1 said:
Yes, with the shelf right back to the wall too. You could probably use M10, but I always go for overkill.
It's a cool idea, bet they'd be super strong but I'm off hardware purchases for the moment and want to get these done over the weekend, ta though.

I changed the design a little, realised I could get more depth of support from the crossection bits when rotated (I'm stuck with the offset crossection pieces so its a matter of how best to use them), also moved the sheves back against the wall so more support again, meaning I can drop the top-supports above each shelf, just planning to put 4 screws down into each, especially now I see how well the wood takes the screws.

The maple is great, so nice to cut and sand. I'm accustomed to pallet wood at the moment so feel like I'm now making pottery with clay instead of the flour and water I've been using!

I made up the 8 supports and 2 short pieces, decided to try out Tung oil on this, making the shelves next...

Attachments

• Corner Shelves 5.png
    Corner Shelves 5.png
    48.1 KB · Views: 145
  • photo_2017-12-20_18-06-53.jpg
    photo_2017-12-20_18-06-53.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 145
Getting there... the maple really is great to work with. It all fits together with lots of ~90 degree angles. Last full-on tung oil treatment tomorrow, it should be on the wall by sundown and the fridge/freezer can get the hell out of my lounge :D

Making the L-shaped shelves was the first time I've done dowels, not too bad, I realised very quickly the dowelling jig I made a whle back as an exercise is a bit rubbish so ended up just marking and praying, and they wouldn't fit under my drill press so drilled by hand. I only had to redrill one, and slot in a couple of cut down dowels where I'd drilled too deep but with 4 little dowels each and a load of Gorilla glue they're really rigid and nicely level, slight ridge but am happy with it. I'm glad I bought those 2 long bar clamps, first use of those in anger too.

On marking and drilling the walls in the kitchen, I realised I couldn't just attach all 4 supports to the walls then slot the shelves in; now the shelves wrap round each support I'll need to affix 2, then slot the other 2 in already slotted in behind the bottom shelf, then hold the shelf up with blocks while screwing in behind where it slots back down into (with just 2 hands, on a stool...), secure the bottom shelf while i have driver space, then the top shelf will slot down nicely.

I would have hated to notice that after all the wall fixing was done and have to take half of it down again, with the plaster being a bit crumbly, mangled plugs etc I suspect it'd not go quite so well second time around.

I had to ditch the long supports on the left (intended to attach a drainer to), not enough timber for this and the other piece I want to use the rest of the maple for.

To mark it up, I had to hang it temporarily in place, just 1 screw on each support, not very far in; seemed really stable, I think the corner gives it a whole bunch of extra strength, hadn't appreciated the mechanics of the screws being in different directions etc. - good thing too, the shelves on their own weigh a fair bit!

I'm beginning to appreciate my snazzy apron and cowboy belt; they felt rather silly at first, but so darned handy.

Attachments

• photo_2017-12-21_23-22-00.jpg
    photo_2017-12-21_23-22-00.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 120
Phew; she's up, and I get my kitchen back. A couple of ballsups, the supports on the far left and the second from the right aren't entirely vertical; one beacuse I'm stupid, the other from the brick and plaster turning into a crumbly mess and it becoming a choice between tight or straight, but no great mechanical problem and not immediately obvious even with the shelves empty.

The wall angle varies with height; it's pretty much 90 at the lower shelf, a bit less for the upper, and drops away above the window - I checked it just above the window and assumed the rest but no great harm done, lesson learnt.

The rest of the screws went into the walls very well, good old, well, new 18v dewalt hammer drill and impact driver set. it's solid as a rock. I'm sure I could hang from it but, no point taking the mickey.

24 4x70mm screws into the wall, 24 4x50s holding the shelves down and 24 more between vertical planks and supports (plus gorilla glue there) and it's all cinched it together nicely. I had to widen one of the rear slots to cope with the non vertical support but just a couple of mm. I'm really pleased I've managed to have no screw heads visible unless you stand on a stool and peer.

The rest of the maple will be used for a similar set of shelves on another wall but with shallower shelves from the rest of the crossection stuff and several side panels of the kitchen cupboard doors I have left, the last 2 will actually be used as cupboard doors.

Thanks for all your help above guys, my work here is done :D - I'm really pleased with it.

Attachments

• photo_2017-12-23_12-59-49.jpg
    photo_2017-12-23_12-59-49.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 102
Looking good! I was worried from the sketchup files the brackets were all going to face the same way, glad to see they're symmetrical. FYI, you can flip the components across an axis and still maintain them as copies of the same component

Thanks, I had some trouble with that, I couldn't get just half or them to flip so just scribbled on the pieces beforehand to remind me :)

...and the shelves I made from the 7cm wide remaining pieces of the kitchen cupboard doors, plus a photo of the original shelves under a heavy kilner jar load, still reckon I could hang off it... but won't :)

I attached the shelves with a long french cleat top and bottom, which gives the shelves another 2cm at the back and removes the dust trap, remove 8 screws and the thing lifts out; one day the wall behind needs painting !!

Really pleased with it all, can't remember how much, think they were 2 quid per door, or maybe 3... and I still have 2 complete doors for the cupboards I'll get to at some point...

Now... what to do with the pile of maple finish MDF panels from the centre of all the cupboard doors...

Attachments

• 20180206_151744.jpg
    20180206_151744.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20180206_151757.jpg
    20180206_151757.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 10
Back