Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wood turning tool with carbide insert.

51f8415d36f059e340a653ff455ef208_zps9gglmduk.jpg

Very nicely made, superbly finished. Were you not tempted to knurl the grippy end? That's not a detraction, it really is well made.

I thought it may be a bit rough and I only had enough material for one so didn't want to risk mucking it up! :mrgreen:

I have just finished this box.

Ripple ash bog oak and brown oak box by Racers, on Flickr

Its ripple ash thinned down on the band saw than hand planed to thickness.
The lap joints planed with my shoulder plane and the bottom grooved with a Record 43.
The base was glued up from the off cuts from the sides and chamfered to fit the groves.
I band sawed the lid to shape and shaped the top of the lid first with an axe to remove an much of the waste as I dared, then planes, gouges rasps etc. The inside was smoothed with a small wooden compass plane and the grove cut with gouges.
After lots of sanding (I hate sanding) it was finished.

Slots where cut into the back for the Bog oak hinges and the lid notched, holes where marked on the ends of the lid and with a freshly sharpened 4mm lip and spur bit the hinge holes where drilled, the hinge holes where drilled using the lid as a guide.
Brass hinge pins where inserted and the holes where plugged with Bog Oak plugs, made by hammering a thin length of bog oak through a home made dowel plate.
The ripple ash had a thin coat of Danish oil and a couple of coats of Renaissance wax, the lid had 3 coats of Danish oil and was scotch brited and waxed.

I do like the lap joint method of box making it hides your bottom groves and works well, I will probably use the router table to cut them next time.

Pete

Absolutely love that box, any chance of a gander at those splenduberous hinges and the inside please?
Regards Rodders

I will sort the missing photo out as soon as the Internet comes back up.
The hinge is just a P shaped peice of bog oak.

Pic fixed hopefully you can see the hinge detail.

Pete

Double spleandobourus, A pleasure to see and thanks for the extra pics, and excellent pics they are too!
Regards Rodders

Double spleandobourus, A pleasure to see and thanks for the extra pics, and excellent pics they are too!
Regards Rodders

4a738f9ac389c8138e4c36902a931d2e.jpg

This was the rabbit hutch I knocked up using left over wood. Only a rough job but hopefully it'll last long enough to see my niece through. The slats were Douglas fir and the frame of the hutch larch. I gave her the rabbit for her birthday yesterday and it's fair to say she was pretty excited !!!
853388ec529f57e23fe5cb0b3e1b2447.jpg

She liked the picture but the main interest was back to the fluff ball 'Milly'
Just need to knock a run together now- why is there always ' one more job' ha

Coley

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

ColeyS1":2gsm23qx said:
This was the rabbit hutch I knocked up using left over wood. Only a rough job but hopefully it'll last long enough to see my niece through. The slats were Douglas fir and the frame of the hutch larch. I gave her the rabbit for her birthday yesterday and it's fair to say she was pretty excited !!!
Just need to knock a run together now- why is there always ' one more job' ha

Coley

Nice job, Coley - looks a great hutch for the furball.

beganasatree":d1j6sbo4 said:
Hi Pete,
Thanks for sharing your box,it looks great especially the lid and the hinges.Your a brave man using an axe on something that small and thin.

Peter

Thanks.

It is wickedly sharp axe :shock:

Pete

It's not flat stuff, but it's the last thing I made;

It's a birthday present for a family friend called Penny, born in 1992 [ :shock: ], hence the insert on the knob.

DSCF8010.jpg

DSCF8015.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF8010.jpg
    DSCF8010.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 298
  • DSCF8015.jpg
    DSCF8015.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 298
Back