Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A monastery table, 2.5m x 1.1m. European Walnut.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

This is the first thing I've made, not just the last. I bought the blade blank and the handle is stabilised amboyna, zebrano, with brass spacer and pins. I made a few mistakes throughout the process:
  • There was going to be a brass end cap on the part of the handle nearest the blade, but it pinged off while belt sanding.
  • I drilled the holes with both sides of the handle together rather than either side, without checking they were the same thickness througout
  • I did a lot of this without adequate dust extraction and my wife did not appreciate the layer that covered everything in the garage.

Attachments

• 20231126_100359.jpg
    20231126_100359.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231128_175944.jpg
    20231128_175944.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231204_071202.jpg
    20231204_071202.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240112_164642~2.jpg
    20240112_164642~2.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Bit off on a tangent from my usual fare but a cat loving, avid reader of a friend recently had a little girl named Mia. Don't recall where I blatantly ripped off the cat idea from (if it was UKW and you're reading this, cheers for the inspiration) Pomelle sapele for the cat - £10 for a 2m x 140 x 18 finished length - reckon Yandles missed a zero somewhere. Padauk and 80yo pine for the book with a few lengths of stainless bar stock inset as a counterbalance and epoxy with brass powder for the name inlay. Finished with Tru-oil and Renaissance wax. All in all, a fun little weekend project that has made me realise how much I need a scroll saw!
Compress_20240122_225807_7070.jpg

Bit off on a tangent from my usual fare but a cat loving, avid reader of a friend recently had a little girl named Mia. Don't recall where I blatantly ripped off the cat idea from (if it was UKW and you're reading this, cheers for the inspiration) Pomelle sapele for the cat - £10 for a 2m x 140 x 18 finished length - reckon Yandles missed a zero somewhere. Padauk and 80yo pine for the book with a few lengths of stainless bar stock inset as a counterbalance and epoxy with brass powder for the name inlay. Finished with Tru-oil and Renaissance wax. All in all, a fun little weekend project that has made me realise how much I need a scroll saw! View attachment 174320
Deffo not a cat lover myself but that's both beautiful and inspirational - am sure the recipient will love it!!

Thanks Mark. Good question! I would estimate it’s about six or seven hours. I tend to do a couple at a time as a lot of time gets sucked up in the set up.
And that's why I could never take up woodwork as a wage earner, I'd have spent 6 or 7 hours just thinking about how to make it.

Finally finished my bookcase last night, I had most of it finished a few weeks ago, but still needed to make the drawers.

It's mostly made of birch plywood but the lipping and drawer fronts are solid birch. Quite happy with how it turned out. All plywood edges have been edgebanded and the finish is Osmo hardwax (matte).

View attachment 129456

Some closeups:

View attachment 129457
View attachment 129458

The drawers are Blum Movento Tip on (without soft close). They're quite nice, easy to adjust, but I'm still not a big fan of push to open drawers. Next time I'll probably design around it so I can use regular drawer slides.
View attachment 129459
Hello , that is very nice unit. I would like to make a similar unit , I have a bit of experience in making some basic projects like work bench and tool holder , are you able to share the construction details with me to give me a better idea how to make my own unit? Thanks.

Back