Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About 17 GM, the smaller, 4 GM which equates to about £ 18 though one does have to purchase slightly more than one needs to get the sizes out.
I wasn't enquiring as to the cost - though I estimate 21g Sterling at today's price at ~£23.50 inc. VAT - - - my real concern was the issue which I raised earlier about Hallmarking.

I wasn't enquiring as to the cost - though I estimate 21g Sterling at today's price at ~£23.50 inc. VAT - - - my real concern was the issue which I raised earlier about Hallmarking.
HI J-G,
Most of of my experiments with whistle making so far have been to satisfy my own curiosity. I will only commit to using the silver ferrules when I have produced one that I am finally satisfied with. And this will be for my own use, so, in this context, having it hallmarked is really not important - though if I were producing them for sale it would certainly be, a different matter.
As for the silver prices, they seem to be unstable enough for the firm I dealt with ( Cooksongold ) to only fix the selling price at the time of the transaction. And I seem to have purchased it at a much more favourable rate than you were able to find. :giggle:

Niall

HI J-G,
Most of of my experiments with whistle making so far have been to satisfy my own curiosity. I will only commit to using the silver ferrules when I have produced one that I am finally satisfied with. And this will be for my own use, so, in this context, having it hallmarked is really not important - though if I were producing them for sale it would certainly be, a different matter.
As for the silver prices, they seem to be unstable enough for the firm I dealt with ( Cooksongold ) to only fix the selling price at the time of the transaction. And I seem to have purchased it at a much more favourable rate than you were able to find. :giggle:

Niall
My quote was also from Cookson's - of course! - who else 😀 - and yes, the price shown on their site is only a guide, will be adusted at the time of sale and subject to the PRECISE weight of the sheet suppied. My only 'concern' was that you may not have been aware of the limit for the need for Silver Hallmarking at ¼ oz Troy (7.8gm) - Cookson are happy to sell to anyone whether or not the purchaser has any knowledge of the rules about Hallmarking.

There was also the point that it seems that the finished articles weighed 21g so there would have been some lemel so the disparity (between the two figures) seemed high since the price of Silver over the past week has dropped considerably. - Of course Cookson's may not have reacted to the drop as quickly as they would to a rise !! 👹 😄 😄

Last edited:
More teardrop mortises. They are so lovely .. 😻

IMG_4345.jpeg

So I'm having to rearrange the makerspace yet again now that I have the bandsaw in place, really happy with its position just need to level it as it rocks a little, needed to move the two sets of drawers that are stacked with my bench grinder mounted on top, halfway through the move they both collapsed which means I had nowhere for my grinder, luckily when the school got new iPad they came with new docking stations so I had the old one stored in the boiler room, so I know I havent made it, just drilled 2 holes for the bolts holding the grinder down but I have to say I'm pretty happy with it, not 100% sure if it will withstand the vibration from the grinder but it's made of composite board not chipwood, I've used the iPad stations to store all my drill bits for now, thinking of removing every other shelf and creating some sliders to fit in to store stuff.
20231003_155734.jpg

So I'm having to rearrange the makerspace yet again now that I have the bandsaw in place, really happy with its position just need to level it as it rocks a little, needed to move the two sets of drawers that are stacked with my bench grinder mounted on top, halfway through the move they both collapsed which means I had nowhere for my grinder, luckily when the school got new iPad they came with new docking stations so I had the old one stored in the boiler room, so I know I havent made it, just drilled 2 holes for the bolts holding the grinder down but I have to say I'm pretty happy with it, not 100% sure if it will withstand the vibration from the grinder but it's made of composite board not chipwood, I've used the iPad stations to store all my drill bits for now, thinking of removing every other shelf and creating some sliders to fit in to store stuff.
View attachment 167411
Is nothing safe from your perloining?! 🤣🤣

I spent far too long with this, but it's a doorstop made from an offcut of Oak mantelpiece. A birthday present for my eldest son.

20231005_113643.jpg

An Oak whistle for my 4 year old grandson, my wife said his parents had their heads in their hands when they found out. :)

20231003_132142.jpg

I finally got round to making a bandsaw circle cutting jig today. It works! ;)

20231005_130250.jpg

Yet another ferrule set. This time in Nickel Silver. These are turned from an 18mm rod. A bit wasteful of materials, as most of it ended up as swarf. but OK for a one-off.
IMG_4175.JPG

Finished this off this week to solve my issue of putting my glass/mug on the floor while I watch TV.

It's probably the first piece of furniture I have made that has no metal fixings.

IMG_20231013_094229.jpg

I went for wedged through mortice and tenons as in my head it would be stronger with the cantilever design should anyone put an extraordinary amount of pressure on the unsupported edge. Tenons worked out ok, but I had an issue with the mortices, well, the router bit....

IMG_20231008_113537.jpg

This was exciting and fornicated my mortice so bad I knew it would never be the same again. No idea how it happened, the majority of the waste had been removed with a forstner bit and I was only cleaning up the last of it using a template. We live an learn.

Anyway, I didn't have more material to make a new top so went about patching it as well as I could with an offcut. As the bottom of the mortice was still ok I patched only about half way into it, if I was to do this again and had enough material I would probably have enlarged the entire mortice and plugged it, then started again.

IMG_20231008_113552.jpg

IMG_20231008_114433.jpg

The final result if much much less than perfect and will probably annoy me enough in a short period of time that I will start again, but it was a good lesson to learn and the next time I will improve. Below is prior to the final sanding and finish which looks a bit worse than it does now.

IMG_20231013_094242.jpg

So basically, I made a mess of it and I'm not entirely happy with it, but my glass no longer lives on the floor waiting to be kicked over and if you squint or fill the glass with enough booze, you don't notice.

IMG_20231013_094323.jpg

Back