Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wanted to get some more experience hand cutting joinery so made a small box (no surprise there) using box/finger joints.
Turned out orite, I accidentally flipped one of the boards the wrong way so had to cut some small bits to fill the gaps.
Used a 4mm brass rod for a hinge.
Used a plough plane to cut a rebate in the base panel so it sits in the bottom quite nicely.
This does mean I haven't accounted for and wood movement, no idea if this will be an issue at this size, but it was just a practice build so not too worried.
PXL_20230717_164816407.jpg
PXL_20230717_164838499.jpg

Then thought I'd finally give hand cut dovetails a go.
I'm well chuffed with how it turned out.
Some gaps, and there is a minor offset at the edges so I think the boards must have not been correctly aligned when marking out.
Took quite some time but was enjoyable.
PXL_20230717_164727767.jpg

Well done on the dovetails. Most of the gaps tend to get hidden after the glue up and trimming up with a plane. That and the more you do the better they get. Best tip I ever got on dovetails was make the pins and tails a smidgen longer than the thickness of the board so you can pare them back flush.
Regards
John

Not sure this classes as a thing I made but found it super useful so thought I'd share.

Saw someone suggest an exercise where you draw a bunch of vertical lines on a board and just practice cutting straight down them.

This gave me a great chance to test out a couple of saws and really get to know the differences in how they handle.

I started out trying to cut straight down the line, then a couple to one side of the line, then a couple using a knife wall.

For the larger Japanese saw I alternated between one and two handed.

Also realised that although I love my moxon vice table, it actually raised the work up too much for optimal cutting and it's no where near as stable as using the t track and a clamp in the face of my mft table.
PXL_20230719_120424160.jpg

My latest project. Small wall cabinet to put the wifi router and a few other bits and bobs on.
All made with hand tools from an old oak table and drawers. Just made it up as i went along and quite pleased how it turned out.
Hole in the tongue and groove back is for the router cables.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
My latest project. Small wall cabinet to put the wifi router and a few other bits and bobs on.
All made with hand tools from an old oak table and drawers. Just made it up as i went along and quite pleased how it turned out.
Hole in the tongue and groove back is for the router cables.
That's lovely

Recently I saw an article about making a chair from old barrel staves and the idea of slouching out in the garden appealed so off I went and about an hour later twentyfive old barrel staves were in the garage about to be mutilated. The end result complete with mistakes.

IMG_E9459.JPG

Recently I saw an article about making a chair from old barrel staves and the idea of slouching out in the garden appealed so off I went and about an hour later twentyfive old barrel staves were in the garage about to be mutilated. The end result complete with mistakes.

View attachment 163154
And the aroma when your resting there 30 year old single malt 😋

View attachment 163154
I have four chairs made from broken Thai teak cart wheels. Badly made and basically pointless but with a certain charm of their own. Heavy as hell.

View attachment 163154
Love trust, like an Adirondack design. Will the wood require any additional treatment to live outside?

Also been making other toys - made this rocking dolls crib for a goddaughter for her 2nd birthday... my wife made the fabric innards and doll was bought... :)
made from quarter sawn oak as the initial ash I bought kept warping... oak was bought from the quarter sawn oak company Quarter Sawn Oak - Quarter Sawn Oak Company who were fantastically helpful - even though my order was small, they confirmed details - cut it to close to size (easier to post) and then added a free piece as well! Will definitely be going back there and would recommend them to others...

View attachment 162536View attachment 162537View attachment 162538
Nice piece. I have a great niece and such a cot might make a nice present for her second birthday. What joints did you use? Two year olds can be quite rough with their toys!

Nice piece. I have a great niece and such a cot might make a nice present for her second birthday. What joints did you use? Two year olds can be quite rough with their toys!
As I am not very skilled, it is simply dominoes and glue… yet to see if it dies… the cradle I found online which inspired me was dovetailed, but bearing mind the angles and my general inability to cut a straight line this seemed easier…

Back