Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi there.
Recently I finished an ovoid cutting board made out of wooden scrap.
I drew a template on 4mm MDF but, during the routing operations, the template failed and almost ruined the job. I managed the situation and got the job done.
Lesson learned: template material should be good quality material.
A lot of sanding, mineral oil, and butcher block conditioner made the rest.
An oval is being produced (WIP) using the same process.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    133.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 0
Hi there.
I drew a template on 4mm MDF but, during the routing operations, the template failed and almost ruined the job. I managed the situation and got the job done.
Nice work, a very pretty board. Images 2 and 5 seem to show boards joined (or butted up) end grain to end grain, however, I don't see that in the finished board. So do those two images just show two separate boards?
By the way, you mention treating with mineral oil and butcher block conditioner. It is my understanding that butcher block conditioner is in fact mineral oil. Does it say different on the bottle?

This was my first foray into incorporating resin in a turned piece.
IMG_6763.jpg

IMG_6762.jpg

I learned a lot, especially not to use polyester resin! Although it does't require a pressure vessel to become clear, it shrinks a good deal when curing and you get a lot of break-out during the turning. I did manage to fill the bad edges around the resin using multiple coats of pre-cat lacquer and sanding them back with 2000 grit wet & dry, but it was a lot of work.

For my next attempt I'm going to try using epoxy or urethane resin, but both need a pressure vessel and I want one that can take a 500mm diameter piece, so I will probably have to get it welded up.

Nice work, a very pretty board. Images 2 and 5 seem to show boards joined (or butted up) end grain to end grain, however, I don't see that in the finished board. So do those two images just show two separate boards?
By the way, you mention treating with mineral oil and butcher block conditioner. It is my understanding that butcher block conditioner is in fact mineral oil. Does it say different on the bottle?
A trick of the eye, its the same material just half routed . look again ;)

Hi there.
Very nice, can i ask what was the timber used? just intrigued what you have available in Venezuela.

Oh .. okay ...

Completed in the past 2 months ...

Bedside tables for my son ...

1.jpg

D6975632-1-C21-4-D1-F-B3-DA-09-C968257-F8-E.jpg

New bed for my wife and I ..

12.jpg

Curved headboard made with laminations ...

13.jpg

MFT with track hinge and fence ...

1.jpg

2.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

15.jpg

Parallel guide for K3 slider ...

1.jpg

4.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek
Well there OK I suppose but you didn't get the finish as good as I expected after seeing the cocktail stick - :)

nice job! it's rare to find a piece of mahogany that wide!
Thanks
It is Sapele, got it from my local timber merchants. It's actually 340mm wide, a telecaster guitar is 330mm, was pure luck they had such a large chunk in stock. I was expecting to have to join pieces together.
Got enough left over to make 2 more 1 piece guitar bodies.

Large (12inch tall) twig pot today, red Cedar sanded to 320g and 2 coats of wax, made at a friend's request, I prefer an oil finish on this wood but he asked for it to be shiny so wax it is.
2019 I turned a few Red Cedar bowls and a couple of 300mm matchstick holders (the matches were 300mm). I loved the smell it filled the workshop with. I have a huge piece from the same batch which should be ready to turn this year and I'm hoping to get a 400x300mm bowl from it.

Plain mineral oil penetrates readily into the wood, so you can apply several coats in a short period.
Howard Butcher Block conditioner is more dense due to its content of beeswax and carnauba wax, as it is written in the back of the bottle.

Latest posts

Back