Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With only 3 days until the Xmas fair I'm starting to stress out and I've stupidly added to the stress by adding another tree baubles in the shape of a snowman, 26 done so far and 24 left to do, not a great finish but for £1.50 each they will do, started a twig pot from a bowling pin, no idea what the wood is but it's absolutely stunning and very hard, pic is sanded at 120g, once sanded to 600 hit with abrasive paste and then coated with wax it shines beautifully.
View attachment 148191View attachment 148192

Hi Stigmorgan
All the best for tomorrow. I'm sure you will do extremely well.
Cheers
Fred

@stenik @Fred48 thanks guys, technically I'm not supposed to set up my stall until everyone else gets in tomorrow at 11 but seeing as I'm the caretaker and have the keys I decided to set up this evening because I'm a rebel like that 😁😁😁😁😁😁 I may have taken it a little too seriously though and gone ott with it
20221202_215413.jpg

technically I'm not supposed to set up my stall until everyone else gets in tomorrow at 11 but seeing as I'm the caretaker and have the keys I decided to set up this evening because I'm a rebel like that 😁😁😁😁😁😁 I may have taken it a little too seriously though and gone ott with it
You know we're all waiting to see how your hard work paid off don't you?

You know we're all waiting to see how your hard work paid off don't you?
Not quite as well as I thought, some things I expected to go quickly didn't sell at all and the rest was slow going, only sold half the tree baubles, I did sell the Oak bowl for £100 which did surprise me, I was fully expecting not to sell it.

£100 for a bowl is a result. Well done. I'm surprised about the baubles especially at the low price of them. Hope those figurines did well.
The bowl was my biggest self doubt so was surprised it sold for the ticket price,I wasn't put in the best position so didn't really get the footfall I could have and the PTA didn't advertise that I would be there, all in though I made I decent bit of cash so can't complain, sold 2 pairs of figurines.

With the temps hitting -27 with a real feel of -40 this past week I've continued working on a few small shop projects to try get the place shipshape, still a large mess and certainly doesn't look great but I'm going for function and not form as I have a few big urgent projects coming up, I'll paint it up and make it look nice when I have the time. I didn't anticipate still having boxes of unpacked gear over a year after our move but here we are.

This week got a wood rack made (with a ton of white oak ready for a huge dining table), made some progress on the tool chest and made some clamp storage which I still need a lot more of.

Attachments

• 20221204_121123.jpg
    20221204_121123.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221204_121152.jpg
    20221204_121152.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221204_121205.jpg
    20221204_121205.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
In the thread about Maths being everywhere I was disparaged for saying that I would use a milling machine to do the job. I also mentioned that I was designing a box with a secret catch and Adam hoped that that turned out OK. Well - I've nearly completed that box - machined 90% on the milling machine (just a small bit of turning hinge pins and bushes on the lathe) so thought that you may like to see why I find machining exotic timbers on the mill easier than trying to use 'normal' saws & chisles which are far too large.
Broach Box.png

This is the 'dry' assembled box as yet without the catch mechanism - you'll soon apreciate why!

Overall width and depth is 50mm and the height is 30mm. Top, front & back are Olive and the sides are Rosewood.

The 'hinge' is created using 2.7mm Ø Brass bushes with a 1.6mm Ø bore inset into the lid and 2mm Ø St. Steel pins in the back turned down to 1.6mm 'free fit' to the bushes.

The base is 1.5mm Oak ply.

Now, the interesting part is that there will be a Brass sprung catch inset into the front which will be operated by pressing a 3mm Ø ebony button on the left hand side. There will be 7 other 'false' Ebony buttons, making four 'dots' on each side. Here are some photo's of the catch - one with a 5p coin to show the scale.
Catch Assembled.png

Catch Exploded.png

The left image shows it un-assembled but with the actuating rod in place - that is a 1mm Ø St. Steel pin. It's difficult to see, but the body is a dovetail. The next image may make that more obvious.

Catch + 5p.png
The hole on the left hand side will position a 3mmØ spring 2.5mm free length which will keep the lid closed until the Ebony button is depressed - travel will be no more than ½mm.

Fitting the catch is my job for tomorrow :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Forgive my ignorance, is that some kind of neon blue timber or have you managed to impregnate it with some kind of dye? Is that the cactus juice you reference in the title? Love the look of it by the way.
Please excuse my limited English communication skills

Maple wood+Cactus Juice(Thermosetting acrylic resins)+ Transparent metallic dyes(UV fade protection)
IMG_7644.JPG
IMG_6996.JPG
IMG_7901(20201227-225359).JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5985.JPG
    IMG_5985.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5986.JPG
    IMG_5986.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7510.JPG
    IMG_7510.JPG