Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well done folks. You've made some nice things whilst I've been away. I really like lots of the oak table, except the glass I'm afraid. The pedestals are beautiful in their simplicity. The little oak box is nice too (maybe make the walls a little thinner next time?)......and the shrinkage is just about seasoning the wood properly if you are using solid stuff, or, preferably, designing that joint away. The lamp is deceptively simple (ie it's more complex than it looks), and my daughter has just paid ridiculous money for something somewhat similar. They're quite fashionable at the moment, I'm told. Love the little birdhouse. I hope those joins in the roof stay water-tight.

Anyway, good to see such varied work. Keep it up! As for me, much as I'd love to be making the grand bog oak coffee table I drew a while back, the next on the list is a stair (with a little carving). It'll be a few weeks.

I made myself a bandsaw buddy. very handy.
It would be nice to have a flush magnet, so I could have the jig the other side of the blade.
Only found a suitable magnet stuck to the stove today #-o
I needed to double up on the magnets, as I don't have those rare earth ones.
I would have looked for longer stock of aluminum plate had I those magnets, as I feel it's a bit short.

Attachments

• SAM_2805.JPG
    SAM_2805.JPG
    185.9 KB · Views: 601
made myself a little dovetail tray from some quartersawn spruce...

Attachments

• tiny_DT_tray_QS_spruce-1.jpg
    tiny_DT_tray_QS_spruce-1.jpg
    994.7 KB · Views: 463
Made a wine rack, Maple with walnut splines.

Not too happy with the actual wood, as its got a lot of green in it, but that is down to my poor selection process lol. Was a bit tricky to get the holes drilled at the right angles to make the bottles sit fairly level.

IMG-20190810-WA0001.jpeg
IMG-20190810-WA0005.jpeg
IMG-20190810-WA0012.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG-20190810-WA0005.jpeg
    IMG-20190810-WA0005.jpeg
    1,008.7 KB · Views: 437
  • IMG-20190810-WA0001.jpeg
    IMG-20190810-WA0001.jpeg
    971.4 KB · Views: 438
  • IMG-20190810-WA0012.jpeg
    IMG-20190810-WA0012.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 437
Ryandotdee":2nsa1cur said:

Not too happy with the actual wood, as its got a lot of green in it, but that is down to my poor selection process lol. Was a bit tricky to get the holes drilled at the right angles to make the bottles sit fairly level.

I think the green in the wood might be ok with the green of wine bottles, also, taking the walnut spines right the way through instead of just at the joints is a nice feature. Sorry to be picky but I have to ask, was swapping the darker grain one side the the other and back a consious choice or just "how it came out" with the angled cuts?

rafezetter":3flfvq2h said:
Ryandotdee":3flfvq2h said:

I think the green in the wood might be ok with the green of wine bottles, also, taking the walnut spines right the way through instead of just at the joints is a nice feature. Sorry to be picky but I have to ask, was swapping the darker grain one side the the other and back a consious choice or just "how it came out" with the angled cuts?

Don't worry about being picky, I am really new to the whole woodworking lark and am happy to receive any form of feedback. I think it is a combination of not picking the right wood for the project, and there was certainly a bit of "how it came out" in there. The other face had more of the green in it, so out of the 2 sides the one that is on the outside here had what I considered to be the nicer looking faces. I am definitely going to make another one of these, but I will be taking a lot more care with the wood that I use.

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it is really useful for me to get feedback from people who are not friends and family, as I am pretty sure I could nail a few bits of pallet wood together, call it a wine rack, and they would say it is great, because thats what friends and family are for right? :)

Ttrees":2b2gvhb6 said:
It would be nice to have a flush magnet, so I could have the jig the other side of the blade.
I would have looked for longer stock of aluminum plate had I those magnets, as I feel it's a bit short.

I took a similar approach ... 2 small 6mm diameter N52 Neodymium rare earth magnets and a straight 6" steel rule. I've just fitted a new bandsaw blade and as you can see my fence is out and needs adjusting.

bs1.JPG

bs2.JPG

bs3.JPG

I ordered the magnets from China some time ago thinking they would come in handy for jigs and fixtures. They are very strong and cost 4p each (£1.97 for 50 delivered) and took 3 weeks to arrive. Here are the details;

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3289756 ... 4c4dgxJpIJ

bs4.JPG

Attachments

• bs1.JPG
    bs1.JPG
    201.1 KB · Views: 353
  • bs2.JPG
    bs2.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 353
  • bs3.JPG
    bs3.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 353
  • bs4.JPG
    bs4.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 353
Rob_Mc":aegquomd said:
Ttrees":aegquomd said:

I took a similar approach ... 2 small 6mm diameter N52 Neodymium rare earth magnets and a straight 6" steel rule. I've just fitted a new bandsaw blade and as you can see my fence is out and needs adjusting.

I ordered the magnets from China some time ago thinking they would come in handy for jigs and fixtures. They are very strong and cost 4p each (£1.97 for 50 delivered) and took 3 weeks to arrive. Here are the details;

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3289756 ... 4c4dgxJpIJ

lol so THAT'S what it's for :)

An Alan Peters Linen chest, first made as an English Heritage commission for for Kirkham House, Paignton, Devon in the early 1980's. The original was made in Olive Ash, as is this one. There's a hand planed concave top which is an Alan Peters trademark feature. Mine has a dovetailed 'lift out' tray and both it and the main chest have a panelled base in Cedar of Lebanon. The feet are made from Bog Oak.

IMG_3315.jpg

Showing the lid open and a small ebony butterfly to hold a tiny crack together in the centre section of the lid.

IMG_3320.jpg

End detail

IMG_3319.jpg

IMG_3317.jpg

Showing the dovetailed, sliding 'lift out' tray

IMG_3313.jpg

One of the Bog Oak feet. Finished with several coats of Polyvine Acrylic Wax topped off with Renaissance Wax - Rob

Attachments

• IMG_3315.jpg
    IMG_3315.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_3320.jpg
    IMG_3320.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_3319.jpg
    IMG_3319.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_3317.jpg
    IMG_3317.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_3313.jpg
    IMG_3313.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 244
woodbloke66":2pw0kf0i said:
An Alan Peters Linen chest, first made as an English Heritage commission for for Kirkham House, Paignton, Devon in the early 1980's. The original was made in Olive Ash, as is this one. There's a hand planed concave top which is an Alan Peters trademark feature. Mine has a dovetailed 'lift out' tray and both it and the main chest have a panelled base in Cedar of Lebanon. The feet are made from Bog Oak.

Showing the lid open and a small ebony butterfly to hold a tiny crack together in the centre section of the lid.

End detail

Showing the dovetailed, sliding 'lift out' tray

One of the Bog Oak feet. Finished with several coats of Polyvine Acrylic Wax topped off with Renaissance Wax - Rob

That is stunning, thank you for showing it.

Gary

Here's a few photos of recently completed projects.

First up, I converted a pair of old existing cupboards in a bedroom into a reading nook. This involved a huge amount of scribing to get around wonky walls and cabinets, I think in total there were 64 scribed edges! It was a nice project though and the result turned out well. I didn't do the paint I only primed the parts prior to fitting. The cushion was also made to order, but not by me!
IMG_2511.jpg

Next was a custom single bed incorporating three large oak veneered drawers and a "secret" long thin storage space behind. The Oak details are solid European oak finished with Osmo 3032 and the paint is Morrells water based lacquer, Farrow and Ball "Shadow White" sprayed using the Graco Ultra. The whole thing breaks down for moving house etc using threaded T nuts and M10 bolts.
BED 5.jpg

And finally, a finished photo of the under counter dog kennel I built for a Client's utility room. The two doors are on sliding hardware with galvanized steel mesh panels. The shelves are clear of the floor for the robot vacuum cleaner docking station. The finish is again sprayed in brilliant white, this time in a high gloss finish to match the existing Magnet kitchen. The Client provided the three Blum drawer boxes and runners but I made the support arrangement to carry them.
IMG_2459.jpg

Hope you like.

Attachments

• IMG_2459.jpg
    IMG_2459.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 522
  • BED 5.jpg
    BED 5.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 522
  • IMG_2511.jpg
    IMG_2511.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 521
This is the last thing I made - added the wheels this afternoon.

IMG_0690.jpg

IMG_0692.jpg

The purpose of the casters is to bring the extractor (with one cuff on the end) to each machine rather than other way around. I also wanted to experiment with using casters e.g. do they affect stability/enjoyment of equipment (a bit)? Are casters outside of the dimensions much more stable (yes, much more), how strong is the material (2.8kg stand is surprisingly strong)? Will the wood flex sufficiently to find a level, or are three wheels the answer (none with heavier loads e.g. me) and I might experiment with longer bolts and additional nut/washers to allow levelling e.g. for a bandsaw base.

I had two small "scraps" of cherry wood that I ripped with bandsaw (so all the sides are "matched" - so sad, I know!) and it's glued and screwed together and so I managed to avoid breaking into a new sheet of plywood for the base too.

IMG_0691.jpg

The locking casters are on the diagonals. That's because I found some "wiggle" in the locked casters and using the diagonals rather than one side of the square (410mm) is now more stable. To expose one caster I rotate the unit and lock the wheel. To expose the second caster I rotate the unit back and lock the other wheel and in this case the space doesn't matter. Later on I may swap the two locking casters out for another project where I want four locking casters - locking isn't necessary here.

I also wanted to experiment with the idea of using casters to make a workbench "mobile" by lifting it 1/2" off the floor for moving it around and then releasing it so that it can be used with only the legs (and not the casters) being in contact with the floor for stability. I can use the base to try this out too. The small blocks are the "offcuts" off the offcuts. They hold the extractor but also spread the load of bigger items so that I can see the effect of using casters vs without e.g. using a board.

Attachments

• IMG_0690.jpg
    IMG_0690.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 499
  • IMG_0692.jpg
    IMG_0692.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 499
  • IMG_0691.jpg
    IMG_0691.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 499
I made this footstool today, to match the sofa and chairs. I used a spare sofa cushion for the top and I'm not too happy with it; I might try unstitching the fabric and making a better version.

Many thanks to Fergal and the Somerdale Men's Shed for turning the feet!

IMG_0945.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0945.jpeg
    IMG_0945.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 427

Latest posts

Back