Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the egg cups ! They kinda look like super heavy eggs that have caused the cups to squish/twist. I'd love to be able to make something as good as that on the lathe :cool:

Coley

Simo":1k9cyvta said:
Just finishing up this fretless bass guitar today.. the main body wood is Black Walnut, with an English Walnut bookmatched top. The neck is made from 3 pieces of Maple with some Black Walnut strips in between, and the fingerboard is Ebony lined with Maple veneer.

GDkVsb.jpg

Stunning, would love to see some more pictures

Looks good!
(Small suggestions? Put a 1-2" tall fence around the top to keep the changing wedge/cushion/thingy in place and take every arris on it off because they tend to find your knees during those 3am changings :) )

MattRoberts":1vkvhc3o said:
That's a great idea. How's about this? ;)

f1b44730ca042620dbe106a1ba5e557d.jpg

Looks good!
It's worth applying a few coats of laquer or poly to the top (if you haven't already done so) as it will repel any spilt liquids and also make it super easy to clean.

I've used briwax on the top - do you think that would be enough, or should I put something over it. Will water based poly adhere to wax?

I've waxed a table top in the past and it hasn't I'm afraid. I'm going to get some Manns wax and polish remover and start again...one day when I have nothing better to do with my time.

MattRoberts":2yok4hfu said:
I've used briwax on the top - do you think that would be enough, or should I put something over it. Will water based poly adhere to wax?

Sorry can't help you there as I've never done it but I would just give it a quick sand.
And I've just found in the back of the garage the stuff I used on ours, it was just a cheap interior clear varnish from screwfix same as this one:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-q ... /30824#_=p
I believe I just brushed it on after I had stained the top, but glad I did as it makes it so easy to clean.

MattRoberts":3a8iop2n said:
That's a great idea. How's about this? ;)
f1b44730ca042620dbe106a1ba5e557d.jpg

Looks a damn sight better than the not-cheap-at-all piece of MDF mothercare garbage I've been using :D

2016-05-03 08.55.14.jpg

Attachments

• 2016-05-03 08.55.14.jpg
    2016-05-03 08.55.14.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 325
Roughcut":3aybcjs5 said:
MattRoberts":3aybcjs5 said:

Sorry can't help you there as I've never done it but I would just give it a quick sand.
And I've just found in the back of the garage the stuff I used on ours, it was just a cheap interior clear varnish from screwfix same as this one:
I believe I just brushed it on after I had stained the top, but glad I did as it makes it so easy to clean.
Unfortunately, the wax is providing the colour :( I guess I'll just have to see how it wears, cheers

MattRoberts":dbkyusc1 said:
As a rule nothing sticks to wax except wax. Wax by itself is the least of all wood finishes but for things seeing light use it can be perfectly adequate. Just need to keep to a repolishing schedule to top it up periodically as it wears away.

If you did want to refinish with something else the bulk of the wax can be removed with white spirit or turps, and plenty of kitchen paper or clean cloths. Once the wood is nearly clean you could probably varnish successfully (with real varnish, not water-borne) but most would sand or scrape back to pristine wood to be on the safe side.

Congrats on the new sprog BTW!

MattRoberts":2omoka1a said:
Roughcut":2omoka1a said:
MattRoberts":2omoka1a said:

Unfortunately, the wax is providing the colour :( I guess I'll just have to see how it wears, cheers

Think maybe you missed this from earlier.

Wuffles":2omoka1a said:
I've waxed a table top in the past and it hasn't I'm afraid. I'm going to get some Manns wax and polish remover and start again...one day when I have nothing better to do with my time.

ED65":axrutnef said:
MattRoberts":axrutnef said:
As a rule nothing sticks to wax except wax. Wax by itself is the least of all wood finishes but for things seeing light use it can be perfectly adequate. Just need to keep to a repolishing schedule to top it up periodically as it wears away.

If you did want to refinish with something else the bulk of the wax can be removed with white spirit or turps, and plenty of kitchen paper or clean cloths. Once the wood is nearly clean you could probably varnish successfully (with real varnish, not water-borne) but most would sand or scrape back to pristine wood to be on the safe side.

Congrats on the new sprog BTW!
Thanks very much!

Wuffles":3rxnxn1l said:
MattRoberts":3rxnxn1l said:
Roughcut":3rxnxn1l said:
MattRoberts said:

Think maybe you missed this from earlier.

Wuffles":3rxnxn1l said:
Sorry, what hasn't what?

Back