Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
condeesteso":phy2nxfb said:
Not boring at all. Fewer and fewer craftsmen capable of doing this kind of work properly these days. I suppose because sashes are fading out of use, the makers have been too. Richard Arnold (who appears here sometimes) is one of the very few in England and he's almost famous ;)

Yeah, lots of the smaller joinery shops that'd do one-offs are disappearing. The bigger firms, around my neck of the woods, seem to be tied into window 'systems' and would probably shy away from this sort of work. Having said that, a gander around this and a few other forums reveals a number of smallish outfits that are turning out high level purpose-made stuff (much better than mine) so maybe all is not lost.

Anyhow; just found out that the frame for this sash is shot, so I'm about to start that. I'll do a WIP if anyone is interested...and I remember to take pictures!

Chip shop":1ix98zxi said:
.......Anyhow; just found out that the frame for this sash is shot, so I'm about to start that. I'll do a WIP if anyone is interested...and I remember to take pictures!
Yes please :)

Was so fed up of not having enough storage space in our house for bags, shoes I built a box for the kitchen. Throw everything inside, close the lid and forget about it.

I have done a bit of woodwork in the past but nothing ever this big. I'm a beginner and this was a good learning curve for me. For future reference I will make sure not to apply so much glue as it was a pain to sand and scrape off, same for the pencil markings, and finally not to varnish the inside and make sure to measure properly as I messed up on the lid and had to add a piece.

Box.jpg

Attachments

• Box.jpg
    Box.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 288
Nice box, and welcome.

I've found unwanted pencil marks disappear best/quickest with a swift rub from a wetted finger tip.

A clock made of a range of different offcuts/scrap.
12391317_10153327286289211_2689806808971759636_n.jpg

Attachments

• 12391317_10153327286289211_2689806808971759636_n.jpg
    12391317_10153327286289211_2689806808971759636_n.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 263
wwade":xku8rqsc said:
Was so fed up of not having enough storage space in our house for bags, shoes I built a box for the kitchen. Throw everything inside, close the lid and forget about it.

I have done a bit of woodwork in the past but nothing ever this big. I'm a beginner and this was a good learning curve for me. For future reference I will make sure not to apply so much glue as it was a pain to sand and scrape off, same for the pencil markings, and finally not to varnish the inside and make sure to measure properly as I messed up on the lid and had to add a piece.

I keep a good old fashioned pencil rubber in the workshop and rub out all the pencil lines before I start sanding.

HTH

Regards

Brian

Hi Chip Shop,
It is good to know that some one can still use the old methods,I am retired now and the last time that I made a BOX SASH WINDOW JOINT was for a test during my apprenticeship (all hand tools in them days)and have not made another one since.The other joint that has stuck in the memory was the WEDGED SCARF JOINT and it was never used until 5 years ago.

Peter.

wwade":ysl82vhg said:
For future reference I will make sure not to apply so much glue as it was a pain to sand and scrape off
In a lot of situations I'd recommend not waiting for the glue to dry on the surface and then trying to remove it, that risks the dreaded pale glue spots come finishing time. This is okay on a panel glue-up where you'll be taking the surface down a bit anyway, but around M&T joints or anything like that it can be very difficult to remove all trace of the glue contamination once it has dried.

Wiping up with damp cloths isn't perfect since you'll get raised grain, but that's far easier to solve than glue spots. Another very good method is to protect surfaces around the joint with tape, so that the glue doesn't get on the wood in the first place.

wwade":ysl82vhg said:
same for the pencil markings
Another excellent use for a scraper :)

Attractive box you made there, nicely done!

Oak Dragon with walnut wings for my friend as a Christmas Present.

A sort of self portrait of her as a dragon as she's always playing with her phone and they are her favourite creature.

P1070566_zpsjnulsum1.jpg

P1070567_zps1ig1s5xs.jpg

This was very nearly the last thing I made. 12 hours later I was having a heart attack. After three weeks in hospita two of which in intensive care plus a couple of stents I am now out. Not so sprightly now :)

P1030132.JPG

P1030133.JPG

Attachments

• P1030132.JPG
    P1030132.JPG
    175.2 KB · Views: 135
  • P1030133.JPG
    P1030133.JPG
    159.1 KB · Views: 135
Jmac80":3w596jky said:
Thanks memzey
That I'm not sure of yet, need to have a look on some websites later, any ideas?
Maybe normal chrome door hinges though?
I was thinking about the locking mechanism as the better stair gates I've seen tend to have a lift to lock and unlock action. I suppose you might need special hinges for that as well with some vertical give. I've never seen the hardware for these gates and as we have a 1 year old I'd like to find out as well!

memzey":3jtd43d1 said:
Jmac80":3jtd43d1 said:
Thanks memzey
That I'm not sure of yet, need to have a look on some websites later, any ideas?
Maybe normal chrome door hinges though?
I was thinking about the locking mechanism as the better stair gates I've seen tend to have a lift to lock and unlock action. I suppose you might need special hinges for that as well with some vertical give. I've never seen the hardware for these gates and as we have a 1 year old I'd like to find out as well!

I had to make a bespoke one some years ago - I hinged the gate on vertical metal rods which also allowed it to lift then swing, and used a sash window fastener as a catch which was just stiff enough to be difficult for tiny fingers. It worked fine while it was needed.

Doris":d6hs9e1f said:
Oak Dragon with walnut wings for my friend as a Christmas Present.

A sort of self portrait of her as a dragon as she's always playing with her phone and they are her favourite creature.

P1070566_zpsjnulsum1.jpg

P1070567_zps1ig1s5xs.jpg

Now these I really like :D =D>

N0legs the forum Welsh Nationalist :lol:

Jmac80":3gt2pqd0 said:
Tall stair gate for our house to keep the wee one safe :)

A shame it's pine as it would look sweet in oak :)

Nowt wrong with that. Looks good and most of all will keep the little one safe =D>

Back