Metal stud work in garage conversion

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diydandandan

Reaction score
I’m looking to convert 2/3 of my single skin garage to use as an office/man cave. I’ve been researching stud walls and see that a metal frame stud wall is an option. It looks easier, and possibly cheaper, to build.

Is there a reason most people use wooden stud work? Will I run into big issues with a metal frame?
Thanks

I don't know about big issues, but I have just knocked out a doorway through such a wall and blocked up another doorway, I found it a pain, releasing horizontal pieces screwed in where I couldn't access and cutting the stuff is horrible. It's used because it's lightweight doesn't warp so increases speed on site. Also designed in this case to be larger width between uprights and relies on 15mm plasterboard for the strength and sound insulation avoiding packing the wall. I used timber to build the new wall. Quicker and easier to cut and doesn't flop about while constructing. Not saying you shouldn't use it but it's designed for the horizontal to connect at given spaces so for a small job I think timber is much easier and you can place noggins in for fixing things to later on.

1000008447.jpg

20240408_150742.jpg

I used it once when I needed a fireproof fake chimney breast making. I think if you use it all the time and you have the correct chopping machine it’s probably not too bad, but without it leaves very sharp nasty edges, also I think it does mean you can make a thinner wall. If it was me I would rather not use it again.
Ian

If A1 fire rating is not required, ie wall behind woodburner or lining chimney breast then wood is the better option, gives a more solid wall that deadens sound and is easier to build than metal studs. So why metal studs, they do not suffer from wood movement, can be slung up fast and are used a lot in dividing large open areas into office space which might be temporary. With wood it is also easier to add nogins ready to hang cupboards and shelves later.

It does have its uses, I've used it on properties where the weight of a timber stud wall is an issue on floor loading, and the need to keep the intrusion space small, and the same as @Cabinetman, lining chimney places, and this is sacrilege, but not destructive, hiding all the Oak beams in a 17th century property, on the basis it would be easy to rip it all out, when the pretentious pillocks that bought it moved...

I've only ever cut it with tin snips, its a very quick solution and piece of cake to install, oh, and it always straight and dry!

I have used it. It's ok. Like everything, it has it's place.
But, overall, I do prefer timber stud, where it's possible.

Back