Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a couple of boxes

22704670863_d7661eb6b2_z.jpg

22704628103_1e9c261cbc_z.jpg

Sorry having trouble posting photos

Mod edit:- Image links changed.

Many thanks to the mods for the help with the image links :lol:

Not much, but satisfying nonetheless...

Attachments

• DSC_0641.jpeg
    DSC_0641.jpeg
    138.7 KB · Views: 355
Traditional it ain't, but my kids liked it.
Shelving unit in Birch ply, laminated mdf and formica.
(hope it doesn't offend the more conservative members! I do make traditional furniture but it doesn't excite me as much as making something new, even if it doesn't work !)

12240057_1736427606497620_1126385203209745261_n.jpg

Attachments

• 12240057_1736427606497620_1126385203209745261_n.jpg
    12240057_1736427606497620_1126385203209745261_n.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 340
davin":35r1623n said:

Your kids like it, and I like it too! Very innovative and nicely executed, how did you set about the laminated curves?

davin":2faki9ym said:
(hope it doesn't offend the more conservative members! I do make traditional furniture but it doesn't excite me as much as making something new, even if it doesn't work !)

View attachment 12240057

Nicely different, bet the kids DID love that!
That would have made a good WIP
Rodders

bobblezard":7g1j6y1s said:
Not much, but satisfying nonetheless...

Gates are good! I like gates too, I can't see if you remembered to turn the top hinge pin upside down,
Stop someone nicking you're P&J!
Rodders

davin":e8zauna9 said:

View attachment 12240057

How did you create that bend from mdf?

A gate for my son, looks very blotchy in the photo's, not as bad to the naked eye.

DSC_0081.jpg

DSC_0084.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0084.jpg
    DSC_0084.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 195
  • DSC_0081.jpg
    DSC_0081.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 195
Nice job on the gate, The swept head makes a nice difference to be noticed.
I was taught that the bracing would be best and strongest mortice and pegged in to the swept head centre,
and mortice and pegged into the bottom of the stiles in an inverted vee.
That's a pretty strong gate there, perhaps it's a regional thing, this bracing preference.
Regards Rodders

The bracing is rebated in to the head, but just a tight fit in the corner of the mortice and tenon at the bottom end, which I reckoned would be plenty strong enough. There is a screw sitting in a deep counterbore at each end just to prevent it wandering sideways. There aren't any other screws, apart from the hinges. It's not a regional thing so much as a trained or not trained thing.

The swept head was done simply by bandsawing the concave underside then glueing the offcut to the top to give a matching curve. I used TB3 so hopefully it will stay put.

monkeybiter":20jq93bt said:
The swept head was done simply by bandsawing the concave underside then glueing the offcut to the top to give a matching curve.

Very nice touch, bet that made you pay attention while you were bandsawing, no humming along to the radio during that manoeuvre!

How did you create that bend from mdf?"

Sorry for delay in response. I made a former for this hallway storage cupboard, used 1,5mm birch ply. loads of cramps and did a few at a time,

Seeing as I had the former I thought I would make the shelf unit. Using the birch ply would have been expensive so I used 2mm MDF (great stuff and £10 a sheet) used cascamite glue, The shelves are so strong you could stand on them.

Had the pleasure of fitting an external Howdens softwood ledge and braced door today, what rubbish. After looking at those gates the customer should have commissioned you to make the door.....

Attachments

• 94cba084c30b[1].jpg
    94cba084c30b[1].jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 407
monkeybiter":jjci6unn said:
The bracing is rebated in to the head, but just a tight fit in the corner of the mortice and tenon at the bottom end, which I reckoned would be plenty strong enough. There is a screw sitting in a deep counterbore at each end just to prevent it wandering sideways. There aren't any other screws, apart from the hinges. It's not a regional thing so much as a trained or not trained thing.

The swept head was done simply by bandsawing the concave underside then glueing the offcut to the top to give a matching curve. I used TB3 so hopefully it will stay put.

Yes, that swept head planted on top, a job well done, The same principle applies on many curved rails with no waste.
works well on even a 10' Monet style bridge, I've made several round here.
Rodders

Back