Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't posted anything for a while so here are some shutters I finished off today, sorry the photos are awful!

Folding shutters for two windows, the windows had splayed reveals and everything was out of plumb and level in every direction possible which made it a bit of a challenge :rolleyes:

They are made out of Accoya and MR MDF so hopefully there will be no movement. Customer will be painting them.

Fog shutters 3.jpg

The curtains will be coming down now the shutters are in. I think my phone camera lens was steamed up as I'd just come inside after being outside in the freezing cold.

Fog shutters 2.jpg

Out of plumb walls

Fog shutters 1.jpg

Seems shutters are the in thing at the moment, everybody is asking for them!

I think i will replace my jaws with hard wood eventually
There are a couple of ways to look at that. Hardwood will last better but softwood grips better. On my lifelong search for the better bench I have tried quite a few woods for vice jaws and they all work. Some attach leather to the jaws for grip but you cant keep the flush bench front if you do on a face vice. I hedged my bets and lined the end vice with leather. Not so much for grip but for delicate small stuff.
Regards
John

I can't normally post photos of my work because they are for trade or collectors but I got commissioned to make a reproduction of a bedside cabinet for a ninety year old couple! The one on the right is my effort made entirely out of period timber, the carcass, top and legs were made from an early 19th century dining table and the oak and pine drawer linings from 19th century drawer linings, the locks are also period although not as good a quality as the original ones.The ivory escutcheons were made from piano keys. The tops look a bit streaky as they are not yet finished! It was a fun job to do and the clients were delighted.

Attachments

• IMG_2951.JPG
    IMG_2951.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2952.JPG
    IMG_2952.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
This is an eminently practical, but far from beautiful project, unless there is beauty in the simple.

I decided that I have too few horizontal surfaces in the workshop so put other projects on hold. I now have at least an extra 35 (there are 3 more shelves that I can use that have been made and finished) this gives me an extra 7.4 square meters (or 8 sqm) for me to try to excavate my tools and workbench's from under the c+r+a+p sorry useful stuff. They are in progress of being filled at the moment.
932C374A-90A0-4400-8C25-F5932A26BFAD.jpegBCAE021A-4EE9-42EA-934C-8216CD742462.jpegD3C126DA-7821-4035-A8BA-9C33751DAD48.jpeg11DACE6C-F419-427A-8031-45F836A77394.jpeg
this is the shelf end detail
0241BF9A-25C0-45C0-B608-07684653CA04.jpeg

I have also made some better rustic tables to use in my paint/finishing room (I really need to hang the door to that room) I have a reasonably large supply of virtually free eucalyptus.
CA049023-4FC1-43A9-BA80-1365AAD9EDB3.jpeg2AA2A8D1-2F27-4D68-93EB-138F5DB765A7.jpeg0B7CD16C-27C0-4490-9E91-3BF1DD654C7C.jpeg
Along with the finishing tables I've made a shelving unit that I may add doors to, to reduce the overspray dust.
FC99F71D-AC05-46D9-8600-EB80D2D4E36A.jpeg8172A79C-7FB8-44CE-92F2-B723F8F65706.jpeg

FWIW all the shelf boxes have been hung on my French cleat system. So far I haven’t found the weight limit to a single French cleat rail.

Last edited:
This was going to be part of the above post but was caught by the 10 picture limit

The weather here is in the best season for visitors, being cold at night under 20 degrees C but over 10 C, pleasant in the daytime, with the maximum between 22C and 30C with almost guaranteed sunshine everyday. It's not until you get that that the English grey overcast becomes so noticeable. This weather will be standard for about the next two months, then for the next 4 it gets hot, but again almost no rain.

there are a couple of gratuitous pictures of the garden, but I have included the eucalyptus store very simple, very quick eucalyptus spray in table, so it is actually a project post.

4E403655-E9E1-4DAB-8ED5-349280B9B78A.jpeg568FBFB9-3FBA-4D94-929B-BAF0D1803206.jpegB422E2A7-9976-495A-83FF-49E9A221310F.jpeg861327D4-4B9B-4744-9A05-7771B471D0D4.jpeg

FWIW I never thought that I would say that we have too many bananas or too much jackfruit for us to eat
C98502CB-55C2-43F9-9185-171AA013B4DC.jpegB8BCE7A0-FB56-4B5F-9582-B7FD41BF98D7.jpeg

Last edited:
My inside jaw is flush with front edge (no apron) but it's an inset replaceable jaw. I do put things things in it that probably shouldn't be put in it (as do many of us) so it can be replaced as and when.

Same here. My bench is softwood but the jaw faces are maple.
My top is hardwood, the vice jaws after a lifetime of their being hardwood are now softwood. They deform when I hold things that really should be in a metalworking vice, and are sacrificial.

doing alder doors, have to antique them now and spray with lacquer. wrapped in plastic as i was spraying paint in shop,

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
I can't normally post photos of my work because they are for trade or collectors but I got commissioned to make a reproduction of a bedside cabinet for a ninety year old couple! The one on the right is my effort made entirely out of period timber, the carcass, top and legs were made from an early 19th century dining table and the oak and pine drawer linings from 19th century drawer linings, the locks are also period although not as good a quality as the original ones.The ivory escutcheons were made from piano keys. The tops look a bit streaky as they are not yet finished! It was a fun job to do and the clients were delighted.
Beautiful.... a true 'Sexton Blake' - if ever I saw one. :)

wowzers, there are beautiful,

Just fitted a veritas face vice to my Sellars inspired bench. Still not sure whether or not to lose the rear jaw and just go straight into the apron. Still need to actually attach the vice mechanism to the outer jaw, didnt have the correct screws
that rear jaw can be handy , even if you make it so it can be taken out if you want. that's what i'd do.

@stenik @Fred48 thanks guys, technically I'm not supposed to set up my stall until everyone else gets in tomorrow at 11 but seeing as I'm the caretaker and have the keys I decided to set up this evening because I'm a rebel like that 😁😁😁😁😁😁 I may have taken it a little too seriously though and gone ott with it
View attachment 148422
View attachment 148423

i need to have more than. one secret santa guy! If it's not in the stars to be paired with you next year maybe i'll just have to have a second secret secret santa friend!

beautiful work. hope all goes well!

i need to have more than. one secret santa guy! If it's not in the stars to be paired with you next year maybe i'll just have to have a second secret secret santa friend!

beautiful work. hope all goes well!
From you that truly is a compliment ☺ I would be more than happy to exchange gifts with you anytime 😁

No picture but I just did the annual refinish of our kitchen worktops, which are oak. This year was a bit different as I now have a ROS 😀. The ease of doing it with power rather than card scrapers encouraged me to do the rather dinged up top of the sideboard too.

I always do the worktops in the week or two before Christmas so they are looking their best when the family comes round.

Does anyone else have an annual wood related ritual?

Back