POST 2014 SECRET SANTA GIFTS HERE

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waka":64zsu7zh said:
Again this year the imagination and craftsmanship of the gifts are stunning.

They certainly are Tony and great to see and very inspiring =D>

Cheers, Paul

Hi all - firstly sorry it's taken so long to post my SS-2014 gift.

But here is a wonderful box - with fantastic dovetails (only wish i had the patience and skill :) )

AS the bottom of the box is stamped I do know who the generous SS is - but in the sprit of the first S of SS... you know who you are... fantastic work, and I am assuming that the internal 'gift' are dove tail guides.... is this right???

Attachments

• SS-2014 4.jpg
    SS-2014 4.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 417
  • SS-2014 3.jpg
    SS-2014 3.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 417
  • SS-2014 2.jpg
    SS-2014 2.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 417
  • SS-2014 1.jpg
    SS-2014 1.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 417
I didn't take part in the SS, I really am not skilled enough to make anything so good as the pieces on display here. Like last year I am very impressed not only with the quality of the pieces created but with the generosity of their makers for giving they time, skill and materials to this.

mseries":2raevw9g said:
I didn't take part in the SS, I really am not skilled enough to make anything so good as the pieces on display here. Like last year I am very impressed not only with the quality of the pieces created but with the generosity of their makers for giving they time, skill and materials to this.

The rules state that the gift can be made or bought, so there is no reason you can't enter in 2015. Also bare in mind that everyones skill set is different, why do you think I run it, instead of taking part :lol: :lol: I believe that things like SS and forum competitions actually improve peoples skill set.
So the bottom line is, you have no excuse for sitting the next one out \:D/ \:D/

I confess that I sent the drawknife. I would dearly like to have made something but since moving a few months ago, all my gear is in a 6 x 8 foot outhouse. (Table saw, router table, floor standing b/s, floor standing pillar drill, 6 ft lathe, floor standing p/t, compressor and a bench. Try working in that!). Next year I hope to have more space.

Aha! anyone following the Skelton saw pass-around will recognise Sammo's box and guides from a mile away. Nice guides, far too posh to use =D>

NickWelford":3einv5ja said:
I confess that I sent the drawknife. I would dearly like to have made something but since moving a few months ago, all my gear is in a 6 x 8 foot outhouse. (Table saw, router table, floor standing b/s, floor standing pillar drill, 6 ft lathe, floor standing p/t, compressor and a bench. Try working in that!). Next year I hope to have more space.

Nick

It's the participation that counts as well as the imagination. Remember your gift arrived and was appreciated, not everyone was the same.

file.php

I don't think anyone is wondering who made this, more recognisable than a signature. =D>

Or perhaps I'm wrong :oops:

condeesteso":2ed5qvrs said:
Aha! anyone following the Skelton saw pass-around will recognise Sammo's box and guides from a mile away. Nice guides, far too posh to use =D>

HA! Yes....I thought there was a clean "Swiss" look about it Douglas! LOL!

Jimi

Waka":3j9s6jwb said:
NickWelford":3j9s6jwb said:

Nick

It's the participation that counts as well as the imagination. Remember your gift arrived and was appreciated, not everyone was the same.

It has not just been appreciated ... it has been ground, honed and is now properly sharp, sitting on my bench waiting for me to get the shave horse and a nice log of wild plum out of the garage ...

This year it seemed that I was "The little boy that Santa Claus forgot" :( . I was informed that my SS had not been in touch and that PMs were being ignored.
On Christmas day as I looked at the posts showing photos of the splendid presents that others had received I sadly wondered what I might have done wrong:
- Had I been reported for using a non-approved method of sharpening?
- Had I been committing "elf and safety" violations?
- Had I been seen to flatten my chisels too much or too little?

However, step forward Super Substitute Santa! This morning, much to my delight, I received a parcel containing this very fine screwdriver, complete with bits :)
I don't know what the wood is - maybe bubinga or mahogany? Anyway, it is very nicely made and will be treasured. My daughter (a mechanical engineer) saw it, commented on its good design and appearance - and obviously coveted it :). Thank you so much Waka for your generosity in making this excellent gift for me.

Attachments

• IMG_2413C.jpg
    IMG_2413C.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 764
Great gifts given, I'm glad I didnt enter as the recipient would of woken up christmas morning with a feeling that they had been robbed.

I've got a year to up my skills for the next one as I would much rather give something I had put time and effort into.

Well done to the organiser and participants.

My replacement from Waka arrived today.

Thanks Waka, but it looks like I might struggle to get to use it :lol:

Tooled up by maddpete, on Flickr

Pete

Racers":ul5waw4u said:
My replacement from Waka arrived today.

Thanks Waka, but it looks like I might struggle to get to use it :lol:

Tooled up by maddpete, on Flickr

Pete
Our postman carries a pocket full of dog biscuits and so gets no grief form the ones that bite . What does your postie carry , Monster Munch :D
Well done Waka .
Cheers Bern :D

Back