POST 2014 SECRET SANTA GIFTS HERE

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NickWelford":1abl9agb said:
I am both highly impressed and humbled by the beautiful gift I received. Such a lot of work, to a very high standard. And lovely touches like including an appropriately sized spanner to tighten the clamp. Thank you to my secret Santa and to Waka for organising.
Wow, wow and crikey wow. That looks superb !!!!!

Escudo":3crjbinb said:
Hello Secret Santa friends,

Two terrific gifts from my SS. A lovely Mallet made from Beech and lignum Vitae. Lovely detailing on the handle, and a wondrously smooth head (bit like mine).

A very smart marking knife made from Blackwood with a super sharp blade and brass ferule. A real user.

15482568884_f0b7eb810e.jpg

15482568894_a690d8676c.jpg

Thanks Secret Santa two really nice gifts much appreciated.

Thanks also to Tony for organising this years event. Well done again.

Merry Christmas everyone and happy woodworking for 2015.

Cheers, Tony (Escudo).

Very nice gifts and something to treasure. I am really impressed with the thought that has gone into some of these gifts.

A big thanks to my secret santa, and to Waka for organising it.

I've received a scraper which I'll use for an up and coming project in the new year, a burnisher complete with a lovely hawthorn handle which I'll use on the scraper.
A spokeshave blade, I'll make a handle for that and some brass stock that i'm sure will come in handy at some point.

Some fantastic stuff appearing already this year.

I received a wonderful present from my secret santa,

but because of his skill and craftsmanship his identity is easily found, rxh who i think is called Richard.So many thanks for a fantastic present, far more than i could have wished for ,and shows the generosity of people of this forum with advice and help etc.

Many thanks to Waka for organising

many thanks david

Attachments

• 20141226_113535.jpg
    20141226_113535.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 542
  • 20141226_113356_2.jpg
    20141226_113356_2.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 542
  • 20141226_113340.jpg
    20141226_113340.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 542
Here is my wonderfull gift from my (not so) Secret Santa.

A beutifull dovetail marking guage, in brass and Damascus steel in its own superbly made box.

Thank you so much Jim (and Alfie) this is a truely superb present. I will endevour to do it justice. My woodworking at the moment is much more in the carpentry realm as I am currently re-building my sons house. Hopefully I can get back to some proper woodworking this year.

Thanks again Jim and also to Waka for organising this.

James

Attachments

• DSCN1687-600.jpg
    DSCN1687-600.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 535
  • DSCN1688-600.jpg
    DSCN1688-600.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 535
  • DSCN1689-600.jpg
    DSCN1689-600.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 535
Thanks to my secret santa! very nice screw driver! I am a slut for anything festool :lol:
thanks to waka also for organizing this will definitely take part again next year.

some awesome gifts on here wish I had some of the skill sets it took to make some of those tools.

happy christmas to all that took part and the onlookers who wish they did 8)

Attachments

• IMG_0627.JPG
    IMG_0627.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 517
Once again..some superb Secret Santa work and presents...such a great thing to be part of and all because WAKA takes the time every year to organise it...a legend indeed!

I was going to post my Secret Santa last night when I got back from work but I thought...nah..this gem needs a good backdrop and it was pitch dark and freezing so I left it until today...

20141226_115905.jpg

It's STILL bloody freezing but I managed to take a few shots before heading off to a fab lunch with my dear daughter.

Lovely message Mark (marcos) in the card...ha! I did giggle...must have been a nightmare deciding what to get and you did brilliantly mate! 8)

How the hell did you know that I had to keep going out to the workshop and back to the "inside workshop" every darn day because I had left my digital caliper out there..?

20141226_115946.jpg

This is an intriguing rope and cable gauge...intriguing because I shall now spend the rest of the afternoon researching its origins...unless you feel up to giving me a clue?

20141226_115937.jpg

Clearly for ship's use judging by the international flavour of the scales...one used as a land-based shore tool would use only the measures of that country....(head scratch!)

And a glue pot!! One of those clever gizmos that sucks it all back again and can be used thin or thick...JUST what I was about to buy...though not for glue...

I need a little vessel to drip oil onto a cutting tool..on the mill and "the monster in the back room" so absolutely brilliant timing mate! I shall use it this afternoon no less!

20141226_120004.jpg

Thank you so much for being so very thoughtful...and no...I haven't got two of either of these things...well done!

Jamesc.....no problems mate...glad you like it. I expect to see some dovetails appearing in your son's house in at least a couple of occasions...post the pictures as proof mate! :mrgreen:

Herewith my gift(s)!

I am very pleased to receive a beautifully crafted African Blackwood bottle opener, with a superb finish. An item which will find much use in the coming years!
present2.JPG

To add to my delight, there are a couple of items to practice on, together with a card! Very much appreciated, Santa! I am very grateful for your thoughtfulness and your generosity.
present1.JPG

Merry Christmas to all and a special thanks to Tony (Waka)

Liam

Attachments

• present2.JPG
    present2.JPG
    215.3 KB · Views: 430
  • present1.JPG
    present1.JPG
    243.2 KB · Views: 430
Seasons greetings everyone.
Big thank you to waka, and huge thank you to a very secret Santa whoever you are :D :ho2
I am now the proud owner of a lovely brass headed hammer with an ash handle (one of my favorite woods). Love the attention to detail with one face curved, and one flat, and nicely held in place with an ebony? wedge.
Not only that, but a beautiful adjustable squaring rod made of brass and alloy. No more bits of stick with a nail at one end for me then :lol:
Some stunning work on show this year. well done everyone.
Cheers, Richard.

Got here as quick as I could, needed camera and just a bit of light...

Very pleased indeed with these:
mg1.jpg

I'd seen them at Richard A's day and recently at Mac - very nicely made indeed, basically flawless. I like the simplicity of the wedge lock and it does work very well (which says a lot for the precision in the making). I have a pair - internal and external. I shall think of a way of identifying which is which at a glance... I ruled out the yellow insulation tape option.
mg2.jpg

I'm guessing maple and rosewood but it could be sycamore? Could be wrong on everything :) I am going to practice my technique of tapping the end to make tiny last adjustments - opening easy, for closing I have a plan... the tapping thing is a very old habit with me.
mg3.jpg

Crisp clean work, very impressed. And as we all KNOW, nice tools help make nice work.
Postmark Nottingham, card signed Pete. I'll call them Mad and Bad.
Very many thanks Pete, these will be used a lot, promise.

Oh yes, and I own up to the vice, but would like to extend credit to Jimi43 for milling the delrin rack, and to rxh for joining with me in a joint-venture to produce the all-new 42mm 4tpi thread tap and box. More about that later maybe.

Some lovely gear here, well done to all.

Attachments

• mg1.jpg
    mg1.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 714
  • mg2.jpg
    mg2.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 714
  • mg3.jpg
    mg3.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 714
many thanks to my SS, for this awesome mini adjustable square. the accuracy of the angle is just perfect, precision is everything in a square and this is excellent so thank you again. will be perfect for checking my through and lapped DT's

i havent a clue who my SS was but her or she is a excellent engineer :)

TT

Attachments

• 2014-12-28 00.09.41.jpg
    2014-12-28 00.09.41.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 700
  • 2014-12-28 00.08.32.jpg
    2014-12-28 00.08.32.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 700
  • 2014-12-28 00.10.28.jpg
    2014-12-28 00.10.28.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 700
Hi Douglas

Glad you like them,they are Maple and Rosewood, I use a smart tap to the end of the wedge on the bench to lock and unlock them.
May be a different coloured wedge in future to identify them.

TT, that's a very nice square.

Pete

10882276_10152805734193941_6404109760440557504_n.jpg

Gobsmacked!

Having stepped in to level things up and try to reach an even number and make Waka's difficult job (thank you - as always hugely appreciated) a little less onerous, I've only gone and been drawn with the immensely talened Richard Arnold!

10888877_10152805734393941_8218424648230760876_n.jpg

I have a lifetime habit of never winning raffles, lotteries or tombolas so this is a defining moment. A beautifully handcrafted scale model of a late 1600's / early 1700's English try plane in English box.

10881566_10152805734938941_1545653897340666311_n.jpg

Looking at the Tennion images I have often wondered whether the offset handle and apparently skewed high angle blades (why?) were a true portrayal or just the result of our forbears being rubbish at perspective drawing. Maps of the period would suggest the latter, although having just moved out of a house built in the same period I can confirm that there was absolutely nothing wayward about the work they produced.

Thank you Richard, it will sit with pride on my desk and inspire me to remember not only the breadth but also the depth of the craft that we inherit as each of us endeavor to add our layer.

WOW Matthew! I saw this on Facebook and shared to my timeline (hope you don't mind) such was the pleasure I had of seeing such a masterpiece.

As a long-time fan of planes and other tools from that mysterious period...to see this little gem in all its glory was a true pleasure and made my year!

Wonderful work Mr Arnold...made my whole year seeing that plane.

=D> =D> =D>

Jimi

I have to say, I have been completely amazed by the work and generosity of some of the participants.

Absolutely fantastic in these times where cynicism and selfishness seems to be very prevalent.

I have to say
the quality of gifts is outstanding to say the least
the generosity makes a humble end to the year

hope this continues

again as said before ......a big thankyou Waka for your time and effort

Steve

Thank you to whoever for the beautiful mallet, from, I think a lignum vitae bowling ball with a box handle. I will post pictures when I have resolved my photo problems which lie I suspect between my ears. Certainly carries some heft and if the maker would be happy to identify him/herself, it would be interesting to know if there is some extra weight in the head.

Richard A - I'll put my hand up. The gauge is something of a prototype and I would like very much to hear how it stands up to workshop use.
Thanks to Waka for all his organisation. Best wishes for the New Year to everyone.

Regards Mike

Once again, the members of this forum have shown great generosity and talent with this years SS.
I wish I could have taken part again this year, but it wasn't to be.
Well done everyone. I look forward to seeing more.
Douglas, please do tell more about your collaboration with Richard Hughes.

All the best.
Adam.

According to my list there are still a few gifts that have been sent but not received. I do hope that none of them went via City Link.
20 of the 26 participants have posted their gifts, so just waiting on the last 6 to get back from festive celebrations to show theirs.
Again this year the imagination and craftsmanship of the gifts are stunning.

Back