Please Help Me Solve My Dust Problem Once and For All

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doris":iv08nwaj said:
xy mosian":iv08nwaj said:
Slightly off-topic but the dust problem has put me off using something like a Foredom.
Do you use a reciprocating head with that at all, and does it help with the dust?
xy

I've never used a reciprocating head before. I use mostly burrs and sanding drums for my carvings. Any wasting out I do is either with a knife or mallet and chisel.

Back on topic...

What's the difference between these two types of extractors?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/record-power- ... ctor/94009

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ho ... tor-501262
The Record is a fine dust extractor but will cope with low volumes of larger chips. (It is similar to the Yorkleen model I referred you to). Half a micron is quite a good level to aim for 0.3 is better but 0.5 is good.
The Axminster is a chip extractor designed to collect chips but not fine dust. The 30 micron filter means it will fill your workshop with the very dangerous fine dust From memory, I think 30 micron is the diameter of a fine human hair. It would not be pleasant to work in such an environment.

IMO you need a powerfull dust collector. Can you put parts of it outside? Build a small lean-to against the workshop to house the motor and collection bag? Only need to have the pipes inside and the switch ofcourse.

Doris":17rhdukd said:
xy mosian":17rhdukd said:
Slightly off-topic but the dust problem has put me off using something like a Foredom.
Do you use a reciprocating head with that at all, and does it help with the dust?
xy

I've never used a reciprocating head before. I use mostly burrs and sanding drums for my carvings. Any wasting out I do is either with a knife or mallet and chisel.

Back on topic...

What's the difference between these two types of extractors?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/record-power- ... ctor/94009

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ho ... tor-501262
Power, mainly. The record power is around 1.5 hp, the Axminster is 1hp.

DennisCA":3neuypoa said:
IMO you need a powerfull dust collector. Can you put parts of it outside? Build a small lean-to against the workshop to house the motor and collection bag? Only need to have the pipes inside and the switch ofcourse.

Denis, from the drawing on the first page of posts the entire workshop is smaller than a lean-to for a powerful extractor!

OK I'm going to get an extractor more like the record power one I posted up. Should I get a cyclone for it as well?

It depends on how much dust and chipings you generate. A cyclone is great where you generate a lot of dust and chipings as it traps the majority of the stuff. The downside is you loose about a third of your suction. On the other hand the filter will not clog as fast. If however you only produce half a bag a week why bother the greater suck will be more efficient at the point of production. It is a trade off you have to judge from the amount of dust you create versus maximising suction at the point of producing the dust. If the lathe and the Foredom are the biggest dust generators then you want maximum suck. You will just need to clean your filters regularly

PAC1":256x4qtv said:
DennisCA":256x4qtv said:

Denis, from the drawing on the first page of posts the entire workshop is smaller than a lean-to for a powerful extractor!

Looking on my own design I disagree, a more powerful fan wouldn't take up much that more space than the axminster one and the simple setup could be reused, could even skip the collector bag and just have a big trash can under it inside a semi-enclosed space and let it dump right into that, no filters that would get clogged. I am assuming we're venting outside in this scenario.

I have something like the record power and think it's a piece of- I am happy I found a deal with a company that had gotten one by mistake so I got one for 50 euros, that means I only paid 25 euros too much for it.

That's why I am building my own cyclone and impeller and everything around a 5hp motor. Obviously I don't mean to start building ones own extractor like I am, but I am fitting all that in against a wall that's 1.5m wide or so.

Just to update this thread. I went and ordered a scheppach ha1000 dust extractor which arrived today. I'm really not happy with it as I feel it's too noisy for my little shed and it was getting dangerously hot after 5 minutes for using. I intend to use my extractor for sometimes half an hour at a time so I feel this isn't right for me. I'm going to send it back but I don't know what to replace it with.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. I will have a look through what others have mentioned previously but thought I would just update the thread.

Wonder at this rate if it's worth me building my own...

I'm very happy with my HA1000 but I always wear ear defenders when scrolling anyway. It does get warm but I wouldn't say dangerously hot, I've had it on for 90 minutes non stop if that's any comparison?

I had their HD2P suitcase extracter that was only ever used with the ROS. It was pushing up the daisies after *cue excessive eye rolling* 4 months of light use.

Doris":10v7x5bq said:
Just to update this thread. I went and ordered a scheppach ha1000 dust extractor which arrived today. I'm really not happy with it as I feel it's too noisy for my little shed and it was getting dangerously hot after 5 minutes for using. I intend to use my extractor for sometimes half an hour at a time so I feel this isn't right for me. I'm going to send it back but I don't know what to replace it with.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. I will have a look through what others have mentioned previously but thought I would just update the thread.

Wonder at this rate if it's worth me building my own...

The type you looked at, it's not really a dust extractor, it's an overgrown shop vac. A proper dust extractor has an induction motor that is self cooling and much quieter, a much larger material handing impeller to boot.

DennisCA":2c0ttecw said:
A proper dust extractor has an induction motor that is self cooling and much quieter, a much larger material handing impeller to boot.

Can you show me examples please?

Doris":y2mcadqn said:
DennisCA":y2mcadqn said:
A proper dust extractor has an induction motor that is self cooling and much quieter, a much larger material handing impeller to boot.

Can you show me examples please?

They generally look like in this link, external induction motor with it's own fan, large blower housing:
http://lumberjocks.com/assets/pictures/ ... 432671.jpg
http://www.forestryforum.com/gallery/al ... lower2.jpg

The other ones look like what they are, shop vacs.

MattRoberts":3js3o3cv said:
Doris":3js3o3cv said:
I now have my eye on this one. Any opinions on it?

http://www.axminster.co.uk/review/product/list/id/7615/
It only has a 51mm hose diameter, so it's effectively a LVHP vac. You will find it will struggle of you want to connect it up to a machine that has a 100mm dust port in the future.

None of my machines have dust ports though. The only thing that I wanted to use that had a 100mm dust port was a big hood which I haven't purchased yet as I wanted to use this for my power carving and woodturning. I don't know if that would affect it's usability or not besides the hole being too big of course.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/big-mouth-dust-hood-200114

Still, 50mm is way outside dust extractor territory, it's firmly in shopvac land still. Dust extractors start at 100mm and are ideally larger. My own system is being built around 160mm pipes.

Doris":35alxetj said:
MattRoberts":35alxetj said:
Doris":35alxetj said:
I now have my eye on this one. Any opinions on it?

http://www.axminster.co.uk/review/product/list/id/7615/
It only has a 51mm hose diameter, so it's effectively a LVHP vac. You will find it will struggle of you want to connect it up to a machine that has a 100mm dust port in the future.

None of my machines have dust ports though. The only thing that I wanted to use that had a 100mm dust port was a big hood which I haven't purchased yet as I wanted to use this for my power carving and woodturning. I don't know if that would affect it's usability or not besides the hole being too big of course.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/big-mouth-dust-hood-200114
It would affect it. A shop vac isn't going to be able to sort the volume of air needed for that hood.

You'd need a proper dust extractor with 100mm intake minimum.

Unfortunately, I think you're after the impossible. Unless I'm mistaken, you're looking for a dust extractor that can handle small tool extraction as well as large tool / dust shroud extraction, and all in a form the size of a shop vac. If those existed for a reasonable price, we'd all have them :)

I think you need to compromise on one of the following factors :

- Get a larger chip extractor and house it outside
- get a shop vac and have to forego extraction for the lathe

To be honest, the best solution is actually to get both.

MattRoberts":3hl25puo said:
It would affect it. A shop vac isn't going to be able to sort the volume of air needed for that hood.

You'd need a proper dust extractor with 100mm intake minimum.

Unfortunately, I think you're after the impossible. Unless I'm mistaken, you're looking for a dust extractor that can handle small tool extraction as well as large tool / dust shroud extraction, and all in a form the size of a shop vac. If those existed for a reasonable price, we'd all have them :)

I think you need to compromise on one of the following factors :

- Get a larger chip extractor and house it outside
- get a shop vac and have to forego extraction for the lathe

To be honest, the best solution is actually to get both.

I see. Its more the dust than the chips that bother me to be honest. I can clean the chips up when I use my lathe with a vacuum, which I have been doing already.

I agree I am after the impossible and please remember I have a small workshop 7x7 feet with just a foredom, lathe and small bandsaw. I won't be generating a huge amount of dust but I am at the moment finding it building up everywhere as I haven't really addressed the issue.

I am currently in the process of fitting doors to the front of my bench to keep the dust out here and housing a lot of my bits away from the dust so I won't have as much area to clean, (thank you to the member who said that it was cluttered as it has opened my eyes to how bad it was) so me having to go round with the vacuum every now and then after using my lathe isn't the bigger issue. Also a lot of the lathe work I do is mostly small stuff sometimes 2-3" in length and diameter. I know I have a huge lathe but its mostly little work that I do on it.

Latest posts

Back