Please Help Me Solve My Dust Problem Once and For All

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, a powerful dust extractor will be able to move chips and stuff with the correct sized diameter piping too. Do you have any space in the ceiling, it seems to me that's kinda where everything has to go if you don't have any space to put it outside.

Doris":m9gyauod said:
I see. Its more the dust than the chips that bother me to be honest. I can clean the chips up when I use my lathe with a vacuum, which I have been doing already.

I agree I am after the impossible and please remember I have a small workshop 7x7 feet with just a foredom, lathe and small bandsaw. I won't be generating a huge amount of dust but I am at the moment finding it building up everywhere as I haven't really addressed the issue.

In which case a 50mm hose shop vac like the one you linked from axminster is probably your best bet. You can book it up to the bandsaw dust port, you can buy a small shroud for the foredom (assuming it doesn't have a dust port) and then you can just vac up the chips from the lathe. You could also consider an air purifier to help with any dust floating in the air in such a small space -
Amazon do one by VonHaus for £50, you don't need an industrial one. :)

Doris,

I have resisted replying until now but here goes:-

Were I in your situation and looking at the space available I would go for a Record Power 4000 or possibly the smaller one mentioned above. Looking at your space I would link this to a small plastic cyclone from ebay (£30) with a smallish dust collection bin under it. It would all fit in your space I think.

Your problem is fine dust it is not chips. The chips/ribbons coming off your lathe can be easily collected with a dust pan and brush.....it will get boring quickly but be easy to do.

The smaller fine dust particles are what matter as that is what you are breathing in.

The foredom carver would benefit from a dust hose directly above the carving position. That means you will need to move the hose about a bit. Ebay will reveal the Fly fishing tie clamps with three or four clamp heads that could be used to hold the hose mouth. You could of course just go with a repositionable hose.

I currently use two Record 4000s ( long thin workshop) each with a Thein separator ( search the web) and each in a sound deadening enclosure because the two are very loud. They have been this way for 2 yrs. They both work well and are used for upto 1.5 hrs at a time without overheating.

The Record DC will take 100mm and a smaller hose with an adaptor.

Given the small shed and small Dc pipe runs this HPLV approach should work Ok for you.

Finally go and visit woodgears.ca by Mattias Wandell and have a look at his recent experiemnts with workshop made individual DC. He has 3 or 4 scattered about and some are small enough to fit into cracks and crannies. The good thing being he is a penny pinching Canadian so tries to do it all on the lowest achievable cost.

Good luck and I hope the above is useful.
Al

Back