Planer thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nev Hallam

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a workshop in my garage its about 18'x18' i'm looking for a thicknesser suitable for a small workshop, I haven't got a massive budget but know theres some good bargains out there to be had thought i'd throw it up in the air and get some feedback! So anyone with any good pointers of make and where to purchase i'd be grateful.
Cheers people.

Are we to assume you already have a surface planer/jointer?

If not, you'll either need to add one to your shopping list (along with an extractor!) or, as Chems suggests, go for a planer thicknesser where you get both in one machine. I have the AW106PT (planer thicknesser) from Axminster and can't really fault it, excellent value for money.

Welcome to the forums. :)

OPJ":214gky22 said:
Are we to assume you already have a surface planer/jointer?

If not, you'll either need to add one to your shopping list (along with an extractor!) or, as Chems suggests, go for a planer thicknesser where you get both in one machine. I have the AW106PT (planer thicknesser) from Axminster and can't really fault it, excellent value for money.

Welcome to the forums. :)

Appart from the fact that it's cutting convex edges. :wink:

Well... I'd be very surprised to find another machine around the same price that doesn't!! :D Really, this machine has some excellent features and a good amount of cast iron for only £150 or so more than the one Chems has. :wink:

Well me workshops a double garage converted, its only single skin brick so I have studded all the walls and insulated the lot with some celotex borrowed of site! I was given about 30 odd sheets of water resistant 18mm mdf so I skinned the lot with it, not perfect but it was free and me garage was water tight to start with so she'll do. I haven't actually put anything in it as yet just got the sip 3hp table saw thats it not even set it up as yet.
So as for planers etc I ain't got nowt in mind other than whats been suggested. So whatever pointers you have are welcome.

I've been using the Scheppach 2600ci and can't fault it. Not cheap for sure (around £700 if I recall) but i've learned from past experience that the cheap is always too expensive...

I've been using the DW733 for a while now and, for what I do which is typical weekend hobbyist stuff, it's excellent.

My workshop is a single garage but the problem is, it is also used as a garage, so everything has to be portable enough to pack away when I've finished for the day. It's a bit of a pain but better than nothing!!

Peter T":hjb05m2y said:
My workshop is a single garage but the problem is, it is also used as a garage, so everything has to be portable enough to pack away when I've finished for the day. It's a bit of a pain but better than nothing!!

Garages are for making workshops out of. Cars belong on driveways.

Catch up!

Dan

Dan Tovey":36x42bdu said:
Peter T":36x42bdu said:

Catch up!

Dan

Tell that to the wife! It's her car in the garage!!

Dan Tovey":gbc8kycu said:

Catch up!

Dan

Plus, the drive's already a bit full at the moment -

Jags.jpg

You could get three of my cars on there as it is! ;)

The XR2 is the wife's car and that's the one that lives in the garage.

All of mine have rough it outside!!

Plenty of room for half a dozen motor bikes of course. :lol:

Roy.

So you have a classic and modern Jag banished to the outside, while you home a fiesta?

Where's your priorities man!! :lol: :lol:

ByronBlack":13mkyn9g said:
So you have a classic and modern Jag banished to the outside, while you home a fiesta?

Priority number 1 - Keep the wife happy
Priority number 2 - Everything else

Also, if I put either of the Jags in the garage I have to climb out through the sunroof!

Peter T":3itr60wj said:
ByronBlack":3itr60wj said:

Priority number 1 - Keep the wife happy
Priority number 2 - Everything else

Also, if I put either of the Jags in the garage I have to climb out through the sunroof!

Fair enough, although I can see a resolution to this. Buy her a Jag, keep all three on the drive and free up the garage :)

(back on thread) The axminster p/t combo is a decent machine and worth the cash. Just make sure you have a dust/chip extractor to use with it.

My priorities are slightly different:

1. Hide purchases from the missus
2. Hide from the missus
3. Wear earplugs just in case.

Sorry for taking this thread horribly off topic!

BTW, I keep trying to get her another car but she loves the XR2. Had it since 1989!!

Latest posts

Back