Planer Thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you really think a combi machine can work in a 3.6m x 3.6m workshop?
Well yes, depends on the machine, they vary, and also depends on what else is in there.
I've got a 20 ft sq shop but it's crammed with stuff!
OTOH my first workshop was in a little coal shed.
e.g. SCM lab 260 is pro quality, single phase, would be OK but in that space you wouldn't want the sticking out slot mortice table but that's an optional extra, and the extension to the sliding table wouldn't be much use. Just have to look forward to the next workshop!
Pallet truck is good for moving heavy stuff. My bigger SCM has drop down castors and can be moved easily on a smooth floor.
There is no middle ground.
Big range available in UK and Europe (SCM is Italian) if import is practicable, plenty of middle ground.

Last edited:
Yes, I have checked. But people are either selling big old heavy 3 phase machines and I do not have 3 phase circuit in my workshop and space for a machine with 2 m long tables, or they are selling those entry level aluminum single phase machines, that they sell because they are low quality, overheating and not strong enough. There is no middle ground.
I have a similar sized workshop and only single phase power. It also has a sprung floor.
I have a Multico 9" planer and a 12" thicknesser of the same make. They are *excellent* solid machines and run flawlessly on single phase 240V through a £100 inverter. They are on wheeled trolleys so can move to the appropriate space (with double-width wheels). They each weigh perhaps 100Kg - not much more than a person standing in the workshop.
You could get both and the inverter and have shange from your budget. The planer has extension rollers on both beds, but these are removable if you choose.
The beds are cast iron.

As for new machines, the main draw would be - for me - to get a spiral cutter. But you get so much less build quality for your money.

If you haven't purchased the BS350S yet, I recommend you look at the Record Power Sabre 350 instead.
This would be my choice too, because basically it's only £250 more and you get the increased depth of cut. 285 over 230,larger table, and probably a better quality of motor.

Reminder to all posters - @tibi is in Slovakia. There is not an abundance of cast iron 2nd hand machines available :) Lovely place + people - went there quite a few times for work.
@Jacob I assume you mean 200 sq ft? Tibi's is approx 100 sq ft, really don't think a combi machine works in 100sqft

Reminder to all posters - @tibi is in Slovakia. There is not an abundance of cast iron 2nd hand machines available :) Lovely place + people - went there quite a few times for work.
@Jacob I assume you mean 200 sq ft? Tibi's is approx 100 sq ft, really don't think a combi machine works in 100sqft
He could buy one here and get it shipped back?

Must be loads of 3.5t curtainsider vans going back empty that direction?

My workshop (indoor "machine room") measures 4m x 2.8m approx. I have the combi PT more or less in the middle running lengthways. It's actually slightly offset so I can feed in boards a little longer than 2m, taking advantage of the extra outfeed space available from a corridor leading to the kitchen. TBH I hardly ever need the extra as most furniture parts are shorter than 2m.

Against one wall, oriented in the same direction as the PT I have the bandsaw. It has more or less 2m infeed, 2m outfeed. Should I need extra feed room then I'd need to push the PT against the opposite wall and pull the bandsaw out into the middle of the room.

Also squeezed in against walls are a drill press table with built in storage underneath, a manual tablesaw, and a small workmate. Outside, under the carport, I have a large MFT bench with router table, dust extraction unit and wood racks.

While 3.6m x 3.6m is limiting for sure, my point is that it is not impossible to fit a PT and other things into a small space with careful planning and use of wheelkits so things can be shuffled around. My PT weighs ~200kg. The bandsaw weighs ~160kg. Both are on wheelbases and it isn't too much hassle to move them when required.

Tibi mentioned wanting to "joint" boards up to a max 2m long. Clearly this wouldn't be possible unless he can feed in / out of a doorway, window, etc. That said, how often would 2m be necessary unless building a lot of large furniture, doors, etc?

I also used a drawing package (Fusion360) to sketch the layout of the room and plan the placement of machines prior to purchase.

My Elektra Beckum planer has aluminum tables and I've never experienced any problems with them. I suspect the difficulties may be exaggerated.

Not that heavy. 500kg more like for a combi. 2 in the back of a transit!
iTECH 300C Spiral Planer Thicknesser 230v only 320kg
What I ment is that eastern European drivers do transcontinental deliveries usually in mini curtainsiders. Unusual on UK but common over thier!

Indeed there is one which is known to serve the expat community in Prague, my sister uses him.

What I ment is that eastern European drivers do transcontinental deliveries usually in mini curtainsiders. Unusual on UK but common over thier!

Indeed there is one which is known to serve the expat community in Prague, my sister uses him.
The issue is that in UK, there are different plugs than on the EU mainland. The person who will get the clever idea to standardize the plugs around the world will get rich :) - also different voltage.
1675842646236.png

My workshop (indoor "machine room") measures 4m x 2.8m approx. I have the combi PT more or less in the middle running lengthways. It's actually slightly offset so I can feed in boards a little longer than 2m, taking advantage of the extra outfeed space available from a corridor leading to the kitchen. TBH I hardly ever need the extra as most furniture parts are shorter than 2m.

Against one wall, oriented in the same direction as the PT I have the bandsaw. It has more or less 2m infeed, 2m outfeed. Should I need extra feed room then I'd need to push the PT against the opposite wall and pull the bandsaw out into the middle of the room.

Also squeezed in against walls are a drill press table with built in storage underneath, a manual tablesaw, and a small workmate. Outside, under the carport, I have a large MFT bench with router table, dust extraction unit and wood racks.

While 3.6m x 3.6m is limiting for sure, my point is that it is not impossible to fit a PT and other things into a small space with careful planning and use of wheelkits so things can be shuffled around. My PT weighs ~200kg. The bandsaw weighs ~160kg. Both are on wheelbases and it isn't too much hassle to move them when required.

Tibi mentioned wanting to "joint" boards up to a max 2m long. Clearly this wouldn't be possible unless he can feed in / out of a doorway, window, etc. That said, how often would 2m be necessary unless building a lot of large furniture, doors, etc?

I also used a drawing package (Fusion360) to sketch the layout of the room and plan the placement of machines prior to purchase.
Thank you Bojam,

I have door and window opposing each other, so I can open them to extend the range of my workshop for longer pieces. I currently have two workbenches. I would get rid of one and I need to place bandsaw, PT and dust extraction unit against one of the walls. Everything will be on the wheelkits so I can move the needed machine more into the center and align it with the door, so if extra space is needed, then I can pass the board out of the door.

The issue is that in UK, there are different plugs than on the EU mainland. The person who will get the clever idea to standardize the plugs around the world will get rich :) - also different voltage.
View attachment 152947
Can you not cut it off and wire another one in? I thought eurozone was all 230v.

Or are they moulded to the wire?!😭

@Bojam Jacob referred to a combi machine (tablesaw,PT etc) rather than just a combination P/T. I have spent far too long dreaming of various combi machines but think it would be too big in a 3.6x3.6m workshop :) I agree that a combi P/T is fine.

Hi Tibi,

I have the Record Power PT260 which has pressed steel tables. I brought it to Hungary from the UK and swapped the plugs without any problem. 2 years ago I built a Pergola and I put the main posts over the planer which were 150x150x3000 without too much difficulty.

The issue is that in UK, there are different plugs than on the EU mainland.
Not an issue for us, we are different in that we fuse in the plug.
Can you not cut it off and wire another one in? I thought eurozone was all 230v.
Cannot see why not as europe is 230 volts 50Hz on single phase supplies, just check the motor name plate.

The tape measure never lies! Just measured my machine (SCM Lab300N) and it's 920mm wide. That leaves 1340mm either side. 3.6m plenty of room for a mid size combi. Tighter fit with extension table and morticer table added but still usable. Will pass though a 30" door with some tackle removed.
The point is - combis are good value and fairly common, so might be worth looking at instead of PT alone, and you have TS and spindle moulder thrown in.
Also I wouldn't be too put off by cheap stuff - you get what you pay for. I managed for a long time with the dreaded Lurem Maxi 26 with pressed steel construction. You just get used to it and adjust accordingly. It actually had one advantage - although 2 speed the fastest thicknesser feed was slow, which resulted in a fine finish.
Other machines aluminium tables not really a prob either.

Space is something a lot of us don't have and can result in some ingenious ways of managing and working that people in large workshops would not have to contemplate. Where there is a will there is often a way.

I have finally decided on this machine, because it has helical cutters and I need to take noise into consideration. It is a little bit over my budget, but I will save up to it.

https://www.bernardo.at/en/ad-260-s-230-v.html
I would like to ask about dust collection. I would like to buy something like this one with little power as my 16A circuit can handle only 3600W in total. DC 200 E - 230 V

Would this be sufficient for bandsaw and jointer/thicknesser? (they will be used one at a time). Are the bags for chips reusable or they should be replaced often?

Thank you.

I have finally decided on this machine, because it has helical cutters and I need to take noise into consideration. It is a little bit over my budget, but I will save up to it.

https://www.bernardo.at/en/ad-260-s-230-v.html
I would like to ask about dust collection. I would like to buy something like this one with little power as my 16A circuit can handle only 3600W in total. DC 200 E - 230 V

Would this be sufficient for bandsaw and jointer/thicknesser? (they will be used one at a time). Are the bags for chips reusable or they should be replaced often?

Thank you.
Looks good on both counts.
The extractor might be a bit small if you were doing full depth and width cuts and prone to jam up, but you'd just have to take shallower cuts. Depends on the timber -e.g. sycamore cuttings are stiffer than redwood and prone to jam.
Bags re-usable, cloth indefinitely, plastic less so.
Noise often less of a problem than you think - high frequencies don't travel. Low hum through the floor could be the main issue if you are on a higher floor.

Latest posts

Back