Planer Thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tibi

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

As some of you may know, I am working primarily with hand tools, but as rip sawing and hand planing makes considerable strain on my elbows, I am considering offshoring the grunt work to the machines.

My workshop has inside dimensions of only 3,6 x 3,6 m.

For the bandsaw, I have decided on Record Power BS350S (I find it a quieter and safer alternative to a table saw). It should be a decent machine according to the reviews.

The issue is with picking a decent 1 phase planer/thicknesser. I do not have a 3-phase (380V in Europe) circuit and it would cost a lot to bring it to the workshop from the mains. So all old 380V machines are out. Also, I have a wooden floor on wooden beams and I would not place there an old 500 kg machine.

I have read that aluminum beds are not good, because they leave marks on the wood, once that wood scratches the aluminum. They are also not that flat. I was considering Record PT107, but I have read that the blades are very difficult to set up.

There are also those cheap chinesium brands (Scheppach, Holzmann, Holzstar, Bernardo) where you can get 250 mm wide single phase machine under 1000 Eur or even those tabletop versions, but I think that they will be just dumped money and headache makers.

Is there any brand new single-phase (even tabletop) jointer that is actually any good? I have a Makita benchtop thicknesser that works ok, so I do not need a combination machine, or I will not use the thickness mode if I buy one.

Thank you.

I would put your budget as well otherwise you're going to get recommendations you can't afford!
My budget for thicknesser would be 1500 Eur max (1350 GBP). Only new single phase machines. I would like to joint max 15 cm oak boards with max length of 2 meters. Maybe there is no single phase machine that can handle this.

Last edited:
You would have no trouble at all finding used high-quality machines that would do what you are asking well within that budget! Have you checked your local facebook marketplace etc?

You would have no trouble at all finding used high-quality machines that would do what you are asking well within that budget! Have you checked your local facebook marketplace etc?
Yes, I have checked. But people are either selling big old heavy 3 phase machines and I do not have 3 phase circuit in my workshop and space for a machine with 2 m long tables, or they are selling those entry level aluminum single phase machines, that they sell because they are low quality, overheating and not strong enough. There is no middle ground.

My budget for thicknesser would be 1500 Eur max (1350 GBP). Only new single phase machines. I would like to joint max 15 cm oak boards with max length of 2 meters. Maybe there is no single phase machine that can handle this.
I can recommend the Scheppach 2600 ci if you can find one. It has a thicknessing depth of 210 mm ( most amateur machines are about 140 mm ) They were made in Germany - only the cast iron top was imported from China as far as I know. The rubber drive wheels allow you to get right down to thin 2 mm slats and don't leave marks on the wood.

Why not go with aluminium tables and just give a few swipes with a handplane for a final finish - it's probably what I plan to do as I have a workshop of the same dimensions

Why not go with aluminium tables and just give a few swipes with a handplane for a final finish - it's probably what I plan to do as I have a workshop of the same dimensions
This is another route I might go. Buy a cheap machine and finish with hand planes. So I will use the machine only for bulk removal of material and precisely finish it with hand planes, what I am able to do. However, I am still concerned with overheating or the machine falling apart ( as some people report broken parts, gears, belts, etc. during light use) for those entry level machines.

For the bandsaw, I have decided on Record Power BS350S (I find it a quieter and safer alternative to a table saw). It should be a decent machine according to the reviews.

If you haven't purchased the BS350S yet, I recommend you look at the Record Power Sabre 350 instead. I have the 350BS and have made extensive modifications to it so it is nearly a Sabre 350. Had the Sabre 350 been available when I bought my bandsaw, I would have bought it instead.

I have read that aluminum beds are not good, because they leave marks on the wood, once that wood scratches the aluminum. They are also not that flat. I was considering Record PT107, but I have read that the blades are very difficult to set up.

I don't have any experience with machines with aluminum beds, but I can't imagine what kind of abuse one would have to inflict on such a machine that would cause wood to damage the bed.

Concerning the blades in the PT107, and similar cutter blocks, I think the Esta system using disposable blades is the way to go for these machines.

There are also those cheap chinesium brands (Scheppach, Holzmann, Holzstar, Bernardo) where you can get 250 mm wide single phase machine under 1000 Eur or even those tabletop versions, but I think that they will be just dumped money and headache makers.

Yes...I have experience with one of those and am happy it is gone.

Btw @tibi I don't know if you're aware or not, but there are Felder Hammer machines which run on single phase and come either as standalone planer / thicknesser or combined machine. If you could find one second hand, it might still be more than your budget. Perhaps as well single phase is harder to find in Europe as 3-phase is more common I hear?

Hi Tibi

Where are you located? I seem to remember it’s somewhere in the EU but not the UK - is that correct?

If it is then consider this jointer (surface planer): Holzprofi ZF200.

It has cast iron beds, total 1700mm long, 200mm wide. Single phase motor rated at 2.2kW. Standard cutter block has 4 knives but can be upgraded to a spiral cutter block if you prefer.

Alternatively, you could sell the thicknesser you have and get a combi PT machine like this: Holzprofi DR250.

This combi comes with a spiral cutter block as standard. It is a single phase machine. There are also larger models in the same range (DR310 / DR410) with longer/wider beds, more powerful motors, etc.

I sold my benchtop thicknesser and put the money towards the DR310 combi model. It is excellent - makes such a difference. Very accurate and the finish quality is fantastic.

Holzprofi (France) were great to deal with, responsive and helpful throughout, and I’m sure they will ship to other parts of the EU.

Note that the prices advertised on the website are somewhat negotiable. Send me a PM and i can give you the name of the guy I dealt with. Ask for a quote and see what he offers you. I was pleasantly surprised!

By the way, I also bought my bandsaw from them at the same time as the PT. I have this model (HBS430M) and find it to be an excellent machine. Great for resawing and ripping as well as curve cutting.

Just to be clear, I have no commercial interest in the company or their products. I am just a happy user of their machines. Although (like the Record and Axi stuff) made in the Far East, I have found the build quality to be very good and have had no issues with any of my purchases.

If you haven't purchased the BS350S yet, I recommend you look at the Record Power Sabre 350 instead. I have the 350BS and have made extensive modifications to it so it is nearly a Sabre 350. Had the Sabre 350 been available when I bought my bandsaw, I would have bought it instead.

I don't have any experience with machines with aluminum beds, but I can't imagine what kind of abuse one would have to inflict on such a machine that would cause wood to damage the bed.

Concerning the blades in the PT107, and similar cutter blocks, I think the Esta system using disposable blades is the way to go for these machines.

Yes...I have experience with one of those and am happy it is gone.
Thank you Mike,

I am just going to save up for the machines. Unfortunately, we are planning a house restoration, so all the money savings go on the restoration account. But If I can put aside some spare money, I want to buy a band saw first and then a jointer. I want to use the band saw for ripping wood, resawing of drawers and that's it.

I have looked up the Esta system? Is it just the holder + the blade that fits into any cutter head? Or do I have to buy a special cutter head for it to work?

Btw @tibi I don't know if you're aware or not, but there are Felder Hammer machines which run on single phase and come either as standalone planer / thicknesser or combined machine. If you could find one second hand, it might still be more than your budget. Perhaps as well single phase is harder to find in Europe as 3-phase is more common I hear?
Hammer is another league. I cannot find any used here in Slovakia. And in the Czech Republic there are some, but over 4000 €. 3 phase is more common, only because you can run higher power motors with 3 phases. The single phase is just for hobby use and it is a modern thing , just to cut the costs for amateurs.

Hi Tibi

Where are you located? I seem to remember it’s somewhere in the EU but not the UK - is that correct?

If it is then consider this jointer (surface planer): Holzprofi ZF200.

It has cast iron beds, total 1700mm long, 200mm wide. Single phase motor rated at 2.2kW. Standard cutter block has 4 knives but can be upgraded to a spiral cutter block if you prefer.

Alternatively, you could sell the thicknesser you have and get a combi PT machine like this: Holzprofi DR250.

This combi comes with a spiral cutter block as standard. It is a single phase machine. There are also larger models in the same range (DR310 / DR410) with longer/wider beds, more powerful motors, etc.

I sold my benchtop thicknesser and put the money towards the DR310 combi model. It is excellent - makes such a difference. Very accurate and the finish quality is fantastic.

Holzprofi (France) were great to deal with, responsive and helpful throughout, and I’m sure they will ship to other parts of the EU.

Note that the prices advertised on the website are somewhat negotiable. Send me a PM and i can give you the name of the guy I dealt with. Ask for a quote and see what he offers you. I was pleasantly surprised!

By the way, I also bought my bandsaw from them at the same time as the PT. I have this model (HBS430M) and find it to be an excellent machine. Great for resawing and ripping as well as curve cutting.

Just to be clear, I have no commercial interest in the company or their products. I am just a happy user of their machines. Although (like the Record and Axi stuff) made in the Far East, I have found the build quality to be very good and have had no issues with any of my purchases.
Hi Bojam,

I am from Slovakia. It looks like a solid and sturdy machine, but it is 2000 € and the only distributor I have found is in France and maybe Belgium. So the transport and service costs would make it even more expensive. We have Record Power in the Czech Republic and they deliver machines to Slovakia for free, so maybe I will contact them.

However, I just made up my mind to buy some machines (as I am now working only with hand tools, but it is demanding on the body) and I need to save up for the machines, so I will not definitely buy them this year. Maybe next year the bandsaw and another year the jointer/planer.

I have looked up the Esta system? Is it just the holder + the blade that fits into any cutter head? Or do I have to buy a special cutter head for it to work?

I haven't used the Esta system but @Spectric installed them on his Record Power P/T. The blades and holders should work on any P/T with conventional knives if you can match the length of the blades.

Hammer is another league. I cannot find any used here in Slovakia. And in the Czech Republic there are some, but over 4000 €. 3 phase is more common, only because you can run higher power motors with 3 phases. The single phase is just for hobby use and it is a modern thing , just to cut the costs for amateurs.
Plenty of single-phase but professional quality machine about. SCM and others.
You might do better with a combi as they are very common. Footprint only a bit larger than a PT alone, and can fit smaller spaces well

Last edited:
It replaces the std knives in your cutter block with new holders and reversable disposable knives. Your cutter block is unchanged, the new holders locate on the face of it and then in future replacing knives is just a simple swap, no more hassle with setup. I have set my outfeed table level with the cutters and all works well.

I purchased from here ESTA Knife System

It replaces the std knives in your cutter block with new holders and reversable disposable knives. Your cutter block is unchanged, the new holders locate on the face of it and then in future replacing knives is just a simple swap, no more hassle with setup. I have set my outfeed table level with the cutters and all works well.

I purchased from here ESTA Knife System
Thank you. Once I buy a jointer, I will definitely consider this.

Plenty of single-phase but professional quality machine about. SCM and others.
You might do better with a combi as they are very common. Footprint only a bit larger than a PT alone, and can fit smaller spaces well
Do you really think a combi machine can work in a 3.6m x 3.6m workshop?

Do you really think a combi machine can work in a 3.6m x 3.6m workshop?
I need to have space around a combi machine, so I would have to put it into the middle of the shop. And I can't do that, because it would be to cumbersome to move around. Ideally, I need to move the machine to the wall, once I am done with it.

Latest posts

Back