Professional woodworkers & China made machinery

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skottex

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Recently I was scrolling the catalogs of several machinery importers (Holzmann, Holzstar, Bernardo...) and I checked their professional models.
These machines seems to cost just a little bit less compared the mainstream European brands machines (with similar specs) but, in my opinion, if I would be a professional which needs to invest into equipment I would pay the extra 2/3 k for a proven SCM/Felder machines with good customer service instead of risking with a bit cheaper imported tool.
Does this machines really have a market? Do you have experience of someone buying a 5/10 k imported machine?

I would say that if you are a business it’s all about the guarantee, warranty and local service support. Time is money in those situations. How many days of downtime does it take to offset the initial saving? Consider having to buy a second machine if the cheaper one fails.

I would say that if you are a business it’s all about the guarantee, warranty and local service support. Time is money in those situations. How many days of downtime does it take to offset the initial saving? Consider having to buy a second machine if the cheaper one fails.
Absolutely spot on, quite a few folks I know have had problems saucing spares for Chinese machinery myself included, waiting many months for a part is a joke in this day & age especially when your livelihood depends on the machine in question. Personally I’ve sold all my Chinese machines.

Putting everything made in China in the same category doesn't make sense. There is a huge variety in both quality and support. My main table saw was made in China by Harvey and the parts are readily available from Axminister. The quality of the saw is outstanding and there is good local support and parts supply.

Had a Bernardo bench drill.
Sold it.
It was generic Chinese badged for an Austrian label. Very equivalent to Axminster middle quality. UK distribution existed fleetingly and ceased. Austria did respond to emails but @paulrbarnard is dead right, service makes all the difference.

Mind, Felder don't seem to have the best reputation for service ....

Putting everything made in China in the same category doesn't make sense. There is a huge variety in both quality and support. My main table saw was made in China by Harvey and the parts are readily available from Axminister. The quality of the saw is outstanding and there is good local support and parts supply.
Yes I'm aware that there are good Chinese machines. Here in main-land Europe we have Harvey Alpha, Laguna and Sicar which are know to be quality China made brands with good support.
My main question was about those ~10k imported machines (i.e. big sliders, 52cm planers). I would guess that they cannot be that bad at that price tag but is there really a market for it when the savings is just ~20% compared to proven Euro brans?
Absolutely spot on, quite a few folks I know have had problems saucing spares for Chinese machinery myself included, waiting many months for a part is a joke in this day & age especially when your livelihood depends on the machine in question. Personally I’ve sold all my Chinese machines.
Exactly, that is the same I thought. Why buy a cheap imported machine, with all its risks, when I can have my back covered with a proven brand one.
Just for curiosity, which chinese professional machines were you, or the people you know, owning?

Had a Bernardo bench drill.
Sold it.
It was generic Chinese badged for an Austrian label. Very equivalent to Axminster middle quality. UK distribution existed fleetingly and ceased. Austria did respond to emails but @paulrbarnard is dead right, service makes all the difference.

Mind, Felder don't seem to have the best reputation for service ....
I also have a Bernardo product (AD260S) and it does well what it is supposed to do (plane/thickness boards) but I do agree that are not nice/good looking machines.
I'm not aware of the situation in UK but here in East-Europe (CZ/SK) both Felder and Bernardo resellers both offers a good service. The Felder rep told me that they have also technicians in the weekend for high-end products (I guess foramt4 only)

not quite wood working but look at cutting edge machine in Ozz....via u tuube
he has invested heavily in Chinese metal lathes etc.......
I'm sure his working needs are on par with industrial wood working machines......
I guess being nearer to china is an added benifit.....
need to check but 1 of his lathes is at least 4-6m long......
where the hell do u buy stuff that size in europe....
besides most industrial equip has a timed life as far as the tax man goes....

Personally I would prefer it if manufacturing jobs were kept within Europe.

I have Makita battery tools from China for site work as they get stolen, but Festool, Japanese made Makita and Vicmarc (which aren't made in China or from Chinese parts either, I know because I asked Vicmarc that question) in my workshop.

I'm happy to pay extra for it

Back