planer thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Iv'e got quite a few, probably 20 or so 3ft lengths of 3"x3" semi planned timber which is not truly square. I'm not too sure what it is but it's a fairly hard soft wood. I'm sure I could come up with a few projects for this once it's truly prepared.
Much better to come up with the project design first and then prepare. Cut to size from your cutting list with an allowance for planing, then plane.

Thanks for your thoughts and tips I appreciate you only get what you pay for perhaps I ought to wait until I can afford something a little better. It seems Machine Mart do one that's about £300 which seems to get good reviews
Loads of reviews on YouTube most complain of it einh Noisey and the fence being rubbish - but generally favourable

I would be looking for a second hand scheppach or dewalt / elu planer, thicknesser combo machine. Ive had a couple of the dw1150's and for the footprint/ cost balance, they are perfect for hobby and light trade use

A couple of years ago I bought that titan, after a month or so I wasn't happy and Screwfix took it back no problem whatsoever.

So I took loads of a device from on these forums saved up a bit more money and bought a used DeWalt about 20-years old one and I couldn't be happier it's absolutely perfect.

I would be looking for a second hand scheppach or dewalt / elu planer, thicknesser combo machine. Ive had a couple of the dw1150's and for the footprint/ cost balance, they are perfect for hobby and light trade use
Bought a s/h Sheppach 850 on Gumtree, think I paid £160. Had to put new knives in (£30) and square up the fence etc but no regrets ☺️

The clarke ones are the same as the titan one?

Even the manual is identical - the fences are the same as except the 254mm clarke one has a different fence to the titan (but still same fence adjustment and attachment as the titan, the dust extraction shroud has a minor difference in shape, and the pieces of plastic are red rather than yellow?
The Clarke p/t is available in three different widths, but the Titan only comes in one size (204mm). The Titan machine has a 1500W motor. The Clarke 204mm machine is 1250W so I was wondering if that might make it a bit quieter than the Titan? Probably not much difference though, despite the price difference: £360 for the Clarke and £180 for the Titan. I think I'll probably have to look around for a second hand p/t instead.

The Clarke p/t is available in three different widths, but the Titan only comes in one size (204mm). The Titan machine has a 1500W motor. The Clarke 204mm machine is 1250W so I was wondering if that might make it a bit quieter than the Titan? Probably not much difference though, despite the price difference: £360 for the Clarke and £180 for the Titan. I think I'll probably have to look around for a second hand p/t instead.
Not unless it has an induction motor.

The erabuer one is the bigger brother at Screwfix.

I think my point was more that they are all the same design and likely made in the same factory/production line, with very minor differences between them! They go by a few brands (including zipper etc), and whilst there are minor differences (slightly different fence/handle colour/table surface finish/specific motor specs/handle positioning, and like you point out some of the ‘Brands’ only offer one of the sizes), they seem to all be actually the same machine at its core.

With all of the above said, that’s why I settled on buying it from Screwfix in the end - just because I knew for certain that they would take it back at any point and replace/refund it without any questions or problems if I wasn’t happy with it either out of the box, or in the 2 year warranty period.

As it turned out I was very happy with it (after a very quick and minor fence modification).

There have been some photos of lunchbox thicknessers in the thread, but the model we are discussing is a planer thicknesser: Titan TTB579PLN 204mm Electric Planer Thicknesser 230V

ae235
I have the same model but branded Scheppach, bought in lidl a couple of years ago for less than 200 quid - I will only say that my next purchase is going to be a proper cast iron P/T! I’m not very happy about it and it’s really difficult to set it up decently, as the tables are never coplanar. I also had to make my own fence as the one supplied was rubbish

I really dislike Titan products but that’s for another thread.
After being in your position about a year ago and doing loads of research (that’s a deep YT hole to fall into) I bought the Makita 2012NB (link here but shop around as Ffx seems expensive on this?! Makita 2012NB 240v Portable Planer Thicknesser
I struggled a bit with chip / dust collection once the summer was finished (as I had just used it outside) but it does a great job, very little to no snipe and depending on what you’ve put through it some stuff almost feels like it barely needs sanding.
Ps also heard some decent remarks about the TRITON p/t and having been a recent convert to their stuff by way of their belt sander and router (for the router table) I’d probably be inclined to have a look at those, cheaper than the makita too.

I really dislike Titan products but that’s for another thread.
After being in your position about a year ago and doing loads of research (that’s a deep YT hole to fall into) I bought the Makita 2012NB (link here but shop around as Ffx seems expensive on this?! Makita 2012NB 240v Portable Planer Thicknesser
I struggled a bit with chip / dust collection once the summer was finished (as I had just used it outside) but it does a great job, very little to no snipe and depending on what you’ve put through it some stuff almost feels like it barely needs sanding.
Ps also heard some decent remarks about the TRITON p/t and having been a recent convert to their stuff by way of their belt sander and router (for the router table) I’d probably be inclined to have a look at those, cheaper than the makita too.
I think the OP was looking for a combination planer/thicknesser machine. (for some reason the Makita has been described as a p/t but it isnt, its a thicknesser).

Do makita do a combination p/t?

I have an erbauer P/T which looks pretty identical to the titan one.

I'm assuming they are still made the same way so will warn you of one aspect and a potential solution if it happens.... For some unknown reason (probably to ensure it breaks at some point) they have used a needle bearing on the cutter on the fence side of the machine. This is not sealed to dust etc and for me the bearing eventually failed which meant the needles came off the carrier and dug into the surface of the cutter bearing surface causing some deep scratches.

I managed to wet/dry sand it pretty smooth again and fit a new bearing but I know it will fail again. because the bearing surface is part of the cutter unit you would have to replace the entire cutter if they even sell that part?!

My solution for the future - The cutter bearing surface is 10mm but instead of putting it into a needle bearing where that surface is part of the bearing, I've bought some 10mm ID sealed bearings. This means the scratches in the surface are no longer an issue as that surface will no longer be the bearing surface.

There is a tube that is the needle bearing carrier that is welded on that I will be removing to be able to put a carrier on for the sealed bearing unit. I happened to replace a motor from a dyson and I've found the back of the motor has a carrier that i've cut off and plan to use as the carrier in this case. I think I'm going to use 2 bearings next to each other so it will be 14mm long (2 x 7mm) for better support.

I plan at some point doing a video on this at some point.

As for the planer for me it's great. I would love a cast iron 4 foot long industrial one but like most people I don't have the space or money. If you are just doing hobby stuff they are great, I've put loads of bits of reclaimed wood through and just recently been making an oak frame which is 2m x 150mm x 20mm from kiln dried american white oak, and it's come up fantastic. Blades are a faff to set though, but that is prob the case with any of these small machines.

hope that helps someone.

Back