Pattern Makers Chisels?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DamoF

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been offered some pattern makers chisels, are these any good for turning? I haven't heard of pattern makers chisels before, my gut says they're not suitable but thought I'd ask just to be sure :)

Thanks

D
Screenshot_20210107_221403_com.facebook.orca.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210107_221407_com.facebook.orca.jpg
    Screenshot_20210107_221407_com.facebook.orca.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 7
nice things. but absolutely not suitable for turning. dont even try it.

when you say offered though. good photos and a bit of cleaning- eg wipe down with a oily rag- and they may well offset what you would need to spend on turning tools.

looks like some nice paring gouges and a paring chisel. Don't go near the wood lathe with them. The geometry is wrong plus they are made from proper carbon steel and may well disintegrate when they catch.

Good advice folks, they're asking £50 for the lot, is it a good deal? They all look to be Sheffield steel and good quality? But I'm by no means clued up on makes of chisels... If it was worth my time to buy them and resell/trade for turning chisels I'd be game for that.

D

You don’t say how long they are, they look to me from the size of the handles as if they’re quite long, and a pattern maker would use something like these for making castings of big bits of kit like milling machines , the Glasgow connection could be shipbuilding?
I would say if you wanted to buy them they would cost an enormous lot more than £50 but if you’re not going to be able to use them it’s a waste of £50. I suppose you could buy them and sell them separately, not sure how many would want them though. Ian

You don’t say how long they are, they look to me from the size of the handles as if they’re quite long, and a pattern maker would use something like these for making castings of big bits of kit like milling machines , the Glasgow connection could be shipbuilding?
I would say if you wanted to buy them they would cost an enormous lot more than £50 but if you’re not going to be able to use them it’s a waste of £50. I suppose you could buy them and sell them separately, not sure how many would want them though. Ian

Thanks, yes I'm contemplating buying them just to sell again. Money is tight, I'm self employed and need to do what I can in these times to keep the family fed... I'm a furniture maker and carpenter, I usually make one off commissions but I now find myself doing kitchen fitting and just about anything vaguely wood related to make ends meet. The lathe is for work, for making table legs, lamps etc and I can't afford to buy really good chisels. I've bought a few Stormont ones from a member here but still need a good roughing gauge and also a bench grinder with the right wheel so every little helps.

Just don't know if I'll be able to sell them on easily or not. I appreciate your words :)

I feel for you Damo, I really struggled as well trying to make pieces of furniture that were affordable. In the end I realised it was impossible to make a living wage, (I was saved by a private pension arriving – thank God) in the end I came to the conclusion that the easiest way to make a living with wood was to make things to fit into houses that people couldn’t buy off-the-shelf or from the sheds. A shelf to fit that awkward space, a fitted wardrobe to fit up to that sloping ceiling, under stairs cupboards/storage, that sort of thing. Wish you the best of luck. Ian

Great advice guys, I think I'll maybe just buy one or two of the gouges to try my hand at spoon carving and leave the rest.

D

Back