Rust removal from carving chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homeinthecity

Established Member
Reaction score
I’ve picked up some second hand carving chisels/gouges. They’re good quality Sorby and Pfeil, but they have a fair amount of rust.

It’s in small patches like freckles, across both the main shafts and into the various cutting shapes.

Any recommendations for getting it off? Thanks!

My preferred method is 400 grit aluminium oxide abrasive and white spirit, but as you've seen from replies above any gentle abrasive material and an oil based lubricant is going to do the job.

Colin

Done a few at Men In sheds.

If it is light with light pitting.

IMG_2130.JPG

Wire wool dipped into a good bee's wax.
Grey or Yellow Scotchbrite and Bee's wax.

IMG_2133.JPG

If the rust is heavy a wire brush in a bench grinder of a drill will do no harm.

DSCN3384.JPG

Wrap some masking tape round the handle, it will give some protection if you slip.

DSCN3569.JPG

If it is bad, remove the handles and I tend to use Citric acid. Either cold for a few days. Or boil it it up.
Then clean with 0000 grade wire wool and bee's wax.

SAM_1814.JPG

A selection of tools in Citric acid.

I have found if the blade is badly rusted the Tang in a wooden handle will be bad.
I clean them up to bright metal.
Gently warm to a red shade. Dip in cold clean engine oil.
Then polish to a bright metal, warm until a dark straw shade is visible, dip into clean oil.
Then remove surplus oil and refit.
I use Sulphur to glue the handles on.

IMG_0711.JPG

Fun way to heat metal.

brass wheel on a 6" grinder is what I use to clean old rusty tools up.

Back on track though. Is this a good application for electrolysis?
Yes, that’s what I’d do first. I’ve done this many times. Unlike acid it doesn’t etch the surface of the metal.
After that I’d use abrasive pads, the green supermarket ones work just fine.

Back