Carving chisels - starter advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good on you. Have a go. What’s the worst that can happen … plenty fire wood. I’m no expert carver, I served my time as a joker straight from school and after 30 years decided to have a go at carving. I’ve not found the time to have a proper go yet but in the next few weeks I’m hoping to have a stab. If you ever find yourself in Cheshire let me know and we can ruin wood together. I can go brew for brew with any man 👍🏻👍🏻
Just seen that predictive text changed joiner to joker. Quite apt really! 😂👍🏻

I found Peter Follansbee good to get going with. He has a number of videos about making and carving boxes and other furniture type stuff on the Lie-Nielsen website.

He doesn't really talk about sharpening and is not trying to sell anything, unlike a lot of other online tutorial providers.

Thanks - I had a quick look and there doesn’t seem to be a lot of courses around here. They’re probably pricey too. I just fancied having a go and using online tutorials, so thought maybe a set like the above would be a good all rounder to start with …maybe there’s more to it than that though. I thought just trying out carving letters into things and adding some textures and ‘wave’ patterns would be interesting.

Please share your sharpening advice! People will always disagree, especially when it comes to sharpening it seems, but I think if it works then it works! 🙂
Hi. Have you tried looking for a wood carving club near you, often do wood turning as well, the one I go to has lots of members with lots of experience and skill, they always happy to help and advise. As a starter welsh lovespoons are quite good there are many designs so you can try different styles. And Flexcut carving tools are good, Axminster tools sell various kits, or individual tools which might be worth a quick look. The kits come with their own sharpening strops
Good luck, I must add I am very much a novice so am lucky to have guys in the club to advise,
Annie

I found Peter Follansbee good to get going with. He has a number of videos about making and carving boxes and other furniture type stuff on the Lie-Nielsen website.

He doesn't really talk about sharpening and is not trying to sell anything, unlike a lot of other online tutorial providers.
I also found Ron Aylor is pretty good as well, An Unplugged Woodworker

Thanks for all of the advice guys, it’s been really useful. I managed to find chris pyes woodcarving course and reference manual for £7.99 so waiting for that to arrive.

My plan was to have a look at that book and then buy a gouge or two, maybe a V tool from pfeil or something, but I’ve come across these chisels with a starting bid of £30, range of makers: Addis, Taylor, frost, Hatton, hildick, sorby

From the photos how do these look? Not sure how much they will end up going for or what might be a reasonable price to go to?

I think there may be a woodcarving club near me too so will defo check that out.

Attachments

• IMG_7778.jpeg
    IMG_7778.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7779.jpeg
    IMG_7779.jpeg
  • IMG_7780.jpeg
    IMG_7780.jpeg
The large ones look OK, but some of the small ones look worn out.

Personally I would have a think about what it is that you want to carve and buy gouges to suit that project. When you buy a job lot like this it's pretty much hit and miss and you could end up buying loads of gouges that you never use.

The large ones look OK, but some of the small ones look worn out.

Personally I would have a think about what it is that you want to carve and buy gouges to suit that project. When you buy a job lot like this it's pretty much hit and miss and you could end up buying loads of gouges that you never use.
Thanks - I think I was just tempted by it because of the low starting price, but who knows how much they’ll end up going for. I’ve been watching videos on relief carving, some of the Mary may (?) ones on YouTube so might start with a small project like that. The chris pye book will give me some ideas too I guess.

I've sent you a link. They are mainly carpenters gouges, but they should get you going to find out what you fancy doing. You'll need to re-grind them to put the bevel on the outside.

Generally the Herring Bros and Addis ones that you see on ebay go for lots of money and the small fishtails and spoons are generally knackered.

Thanks - I think I was just tempted by it because of the low starting price, but who knows how much they’ll end up going for. I’ve been watching videos on relief carving, some of the Mary may (?) ones on YouTube so might start with a small project like that. The chris pye book will give me some ideas too I guess.
Mary May is OK and she's makes a good starting point with acanthus and linenfold, which is taught as first year carving college stuff.

Chris Pye I'm not sure about as he's always been off my radar for some reason. I bought some of his allongee gouges from Ashley Iles and they were so badly sharpened with that double bevel that he likes, I had to spend ages getting rid of it.

Once I got rid of the inside bevel, they worked really well.

When I started, I bought unhandled tools from Ashley Iles and made the handles myself. I like the fact that you can fit the handles to your hand and balance and make each one a little different, with burnt-in lines or whatever - it eventually means you can identify some of the tools you use a lot by their handles. I also put a flat on the underside of all the round handles I have to stop them rolling around on the bench or in their drawers. Once I'd got the basic few tools, I just buy what I need as the need arises, but usually second-hand and if I possibly can, the old british makes.

I also put a flat on the underside of all the round handles I have to stop them rolling around on the bench or in their drawers.
I have no experience of carving tools, but I found when putting London pattern handles on chisels that it's important to have the flat in the same plane as (or perpendicular to) the cutting edge - you know exacly where the edge is by feel.

Back