Parkside/Lidl Cordless Pole Saw any opinions please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okeydokey

Established Member
Reaction score
These are on sale from 13/10/22 my brother had one a few years ago and was happy with it but he lent it to someone and it's not been returned so can't check if it's the same as the one on offer. Does anyone have one and got any comments please before I rush out and buy.
I will need to buy the battery/charger as well as this would be my first venture into Lidl tools.

https://www.lidl.co.uk/p/diy-deals/parkside-20v-cordless-pole-saw-bare-unit/p55143
thanks

if u can go buy a petrol one.....
I bought a cheapie from a tool truck that came to the farm.......
it had a saw and hedge trimmer, fully rotating head....brill thing it still runs....
only suggestion, take any screws from the exhaust fuel tank n carb etc and put back with LOCKTITE.....
my fuel tank came loose and partially melted on the exhaust along with the air vent type cover....but no probs...

Not sure if they make big amp batteries but I think the cheapo machines will eat batteries....
so u'll need 3.....1, on the machine, 1, ready to go and the other being charged....

i have that lidl one, when it was sold as 'florabest' rather than 'parkside', but I'm pretty sure it the same machine as the florabest battery works with parkside 20v tool. It is the only polesaw I've ever owned so I don't have a lot of points of reference but in my limited experience I'd say it's not a bad machine for occasional use. It makes a fairly crude / rough cut, and it does use up the battery fairly quickly (so I'd budget for at least one of the larger batteries), I always make sure I take the blade off and clean out the working after every use, it tends to get bunged up with sawdust very easily (I can't imagine that any other brand would be different), not a big job, but a bit time consuming if you're only using the tool for a couple of cuts. The only real critisism I have is that the lubricating oil tends to leak, I think from an ill fitting cap, and can drip down the shaft and leave everything a bit sticky. I always keep the oil reservoir empty when I'm storing it.

if you aren't already in the battery system, or don't think you will be buying other parkside tools, I'd see if there is a tool that would work with the batteries you have first

I took another look at the lidl link, and noticed that they in fact show two slightly different models in the picture, my one is identical to the first picture, with the (leaky) oil cap at the top, the other pictures seem to show it at the side, and slightly bigger, which could be an improvement. If you do buy it, I'd be tempted to take the cap on an off a few times and makes sure it looks and feels ok, my one has a tendency to misalign on the thread. Do it in store, or at least in the car park, and you can return it there and then if you are not convinced by it.

Thanks folk It will only be occasional use after the initial tree bashing
Its got to be bsttery one and thanks for the tip re battery. My battery drills are makita so I it's got to be this or similar, will see what the oil cap looks like re crossthreading
Can you use any oil?

the small amount of supplied lubricant is marked something like 'biodegradable oil', on the advice of an experience chainsaw user I use vegetable (cooking) oil
TBH I would chuck the bio oil (and cooking oil too) and use proper mineral oil. I bought one of the petrol multitools a few years ago and on the second day of owning it found oil everywhere on the shed floor. A mouse had eaten a hole in the polesaw head's oil tank to get at the oil for a meal.

i have that lidl one, when it was sold as 'florabest' rather than 'parkside', but I'm pretty sure it the same machine as the florabest battery works with parkside 20v tool.
Thanks for the info. I have the florabest hedge trimmer and was looking at this saw. As a Makita user I don't really want to get into a new battery ecosystem - the florabest was a one off for my partner for light trimming.
if you aren't already in the battery system, or don't think you will be buying other parkside tools, I'd see if there is a tool that would work with the batteries you have first
Looking at this one as it would only be for occasional use and the Makita is over 10 times the price for the bare saw.

Thanks all
I have bought one and will give it a go in a few days
Good tip re the oil as I do have a few field mice that come in the garage for the winter
cheers

I have been using the Ryobi one cordless hedge trimmer which has been excellent.

I'm sure thier pole saw will be similar and you can use with other Ryobi one tools

An update
So having bought one I opened the box woo hoo
The oil bottle was not quite full, some was spread around inside the box but so what!
The 2 main components were held together for packing with two nice chunky reusable cable ties -- good you can't have too many cable ties.
Assembly was straightforward and the instructions were pretty good.
I have bought 2 batteries a 2 and 4 ah and pre-charged them only used the larger one and will keep going without charging to see how long it lasts.
I tried a 2-inch branch on a tree that recently fell down and it cut through like butter.
Next was a 7-inch fir tree stump to cut flush at ground level which it cut through with a little bit of struggle (might have been the angle it was cutting at) but fine.
The oil filler cap unscrewed itself during the above but maybe user error
I now need some more oil to top up, not sure if cooking/sunflower or mineral oil (baby oil) would be best, the supplied oil seems a bit sticky and a bit less runny than the other two oils I might buy.
All in all, so far, a satisfied customer.
Hope this is helpful

An update
The oil bottle was not quite full, some was spread around inside the box but so what!
The 2 main components were held together for packing with two nice chunky reusable cable ties -- good you can't have too many cable ties.
I have bought 2 batteries a 2 and 4 ah and pre-charged them only used the larger one and will keep going without charging to see how long it lasts.
I tried a 2-inch branch on a tree that recently fell down and it cut through like butter.
Next was a 7-inch fir tree stump to cut flush at ground level which it cut through with a little bit of struggle (might have been the angle it was cutting at) but fine.
I now need some more oil to top up, not sure if cooking/sunflower or mineral oil (baby oil) would be best, the supplied oil seems a bit sticky and a bit less runny than the other two oils I might buy.
Hope this is helpful
You need a chainsaw oil which is thick. You can use other oil from other makes or this is cheap enough with good reviews No Nonsense HP-146 Chainsaw Oil 1Ltr

An update
Hope this is helpful
Chainsaw oil is cooked/blended/created/whatever to "Cling" to the Chain so isn't designed to be runny or chain/blade/arm/bar will cook/burn probably not on that bar as slow speed leccy job. but many have a wheel with a bearing in end of arm for chain to run over which needs lube.
you can use engine oil but always make sure oil is checked reg! or chain/bar runs dry which means chain stretches! but also oil pump will die.(very common with leccy and DIY donuts using as never check .
Another thing you will need is sharpening kit Just like with Wood butchering! Blunt chains increase time it takes to cut and also decreases battery life as more load on machine plus heats parts up.
Probably 1/4" gauge chain 325/3/8th pitch? (if don't say on side of links will state a number like 66.74.etc or 93LP which means low profile) which many leccy saws use as don't have run time to run a normal toothed chain.
If pics ive found are correct? it's a 91 bar and chain is 3/8 0.50 chain?

Many machines will leak when left just a fact of way pumps work as some are just an arm piece that runs along a length of soft tube in a repeating motion!
While more industrial Chainsaws have a better pump but none have non return valves etc so just like having a "Real British" Motor cycle/car you always know where it was left plus never need an oil change as stuff never stays in it long enough!

I use these people for my saw chains always helpful and quick delivery plus do sharpening kit. OREGON® 91PX 3/8" x .050" (1.3mm) (replaces 91VG) Oregon chains are ok do like there 73exl chain.

Any issues give us a shout and can try to help.

Thanks for the tips HS. the chain link looks good I will looksee my chain size as it might be worth having one in stock
I bought some chain saw oil from B+Q designed for petrol and battery machines so I will what I think when I've got through that bottle.
cheers

as an add, a few drops of chainsaw chain oil is brill for lube on exposed lathe back gears.....
Just a few drops with the cover off while running.....
that oil is stickier than green child snot....or so it would seem in the last supermarket I visited .....hahaha.....

Thanks for the tips HS. the chain link looks good I will looksee my chain size as it might be worth having one in stock
I bought some chain saw oil from B+Q designed for petrol and battery machines so I will what I think when I've got through that bottle.
cheers
Undo nut holding bar if can't see details as stamped on bar type.pitch.Gauge.
To set bar/chain tension is. with nuts/holder? slack'ish with two nuts back one loose front just slightly snug so not sloppy.Rest end/tip of bar on something so supported which gives longest working length! ie chain beneath nip up nut/knob then lift chain off top of bar should be able to lift middle so can see bottom of teeth then nip nut/tensioner tight then once done see how chain rotates too tight and wears chain/bar plus chews battery too slack risks it derailing chain.
Never really much info for DIY users out there about chain care.

Undo nut holding bar if can't see details as stamped on bar type.pitch.Gauge.
To set bar/chain tension is. with nuts/holder? slack'ish with two nuts back one loose front just slightly snug so not sloppy.Rest end/tip of bar on something so supported which gives longest working length! ie chain beneath nip up nut/knob then lift chain off top of bar should be able to lift middle so can see bottom of teeth then nip nut/tensioner tight then once done see how chain rotates too tight and wears chain/bar plus chews battery too slack risks it derailing chain.
Never really much info for DIY users out there about chain care.
Hi again HS
Well Ive been using my Parkside Cordless Pole Saw and its better than expected - been used for quite a few 3" branches and a couple of 8" tree trunks when taking down/cutting up a fir tree (and some old holly bush) I also needed to cut down the length of a log (Holly) as I needed a 6" slither Surprisingly quite hard wood.
There is a small circlip that holds the chain driving cog/wheel in position that I noticed today while still in position has twisted/bent slightly and only just holds the driving cog wheel so its a visit to Toolstation to get their £2.79 selection as I cant find my box.
It now seems to be making harder work cutting so the chain must be blunt - leaves me the choice of sharpening or buying another, if buying another (or buying a file) I cant see what size I would need. Probably the original chain was not top quality!
The chain only has a 18 mark nothing else. The info sticky label doesn't help either.
If you could advice which chain and/or saw file size so I can see the way forward would be much appreciated
The photos might be useful
thanks in anticipation

Attachments

• DSCF7905.JPG
    DSCF7905.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCF7906.JPG
    DSCF7906.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
If no details on the bar you can measure the chain yourself
18 on the drive tooth usually means .404 pitch, .080 gauge but double check that.
First length of chain- count the number of drive teeth that run on the bar slot.
Next measure the distance between 3 rivets and divide x 2, this will give you the pitch.
Next is to find the gauge so measure thickness of a drive tooth.
Or just take the chain to your local hire/garden machinery dealer and they will supply a new one.
Edit- as also suggested by Tris.
Edit 2 - going by your picture the chain may be an Oregon.

Back