More Parkside rubbish! This time, a cordless chainsaw that's actually an Einhell

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you’ve never used a Silky then I recommend you try one - its amazing what you can cut with surprisingly little effort. I have the small Pocket Boy Curve and it’ll go through branches 4 inches diameter no problem. Best bit it it folds up and goes into a pocket. I expect the bigger saws are just as capable.

The only negative that I found is knowing which one to buy (first) because there is a huge range.

I know someone that replaced a (somewhat tired) stihl petrol chainsaw with a 36v (actually double 18v) Makita chainsaw and was very impressed with it. I think a fairer comparison is a new petrol vs a new battery model, but still, an experienced user and he rated it highly. Less noise, less vibration, perfectly powerful enough for his needs.

The downside as I see it is the reliance on batteries as a source of power, obviously it is a high draw tool, and so a pair of 5ah batteries don't last that long (from what I remember working alongside, about 20 cuts of about 20cm thickness), at which point you've got to switch batteries or stop and recharge. To use it heavily you'd need to have a good stock of large batteries, which has an obvious cost. Petrol, you can keep on going as long as you'll fuel holds out.

This sort of advert just goes straight over my head, I know that this is roughly the price for just a new chain and bar for a 14 inch chainsaw so why waste your money on something that is just going to be a bad impersonation of the real thing.

I have a few Parkside tools and have not been disappointed with any of them. I don't need a chainsaw but I would point out that the lidl one comes with an Origan chain and bar.

Just got the weekly email telling me there's one coming up for £89.99

Cordless Chainsaw - Lidl NI - www.lidl-ni.co.uk (lidl-ni.co.uk)

and one for £59.99.

Cordless Chain Saw - Lidl NI - www.lidl-ni.co.uk (lidl-ni.co.uk)

Must be the Irish sea border to blame.

The £89.99 one is another Einhell, which takes two batteries simultaneously and has a brushless motor and longer blade. That one seems to be quite well regarded. The cheaper one is the one we're getting over here!

If you’ve never used a Silky then I recommend you try one - its amazing what you can cut with surprisingly little effort. I have the small Pocket Boy Curve and it’ll go through branches 4 inches diameter no problem. Best bit it it folds up and goes into a pocket. I expect the bigger saws are just as capable.

Now you've got me dreaming of a katana boy... :p

Parkside are doing a cordless chainsaw for £49.99 in the first week of April. I pondered it (I've got trees) and tried to look up reviews, but my school boy German wasn't up to the task of following the German videos I found. But I did notice that the general form factor, layout and controls are a nearly exact match for this Einhell from Wickes which sells for £109 (both prices don't include batteries). Batteries included, you can add another £25 for the Parkside and another £50 for the Einhell.

Anyone got one?

I'm actually umming and arring over whether I have a real use for it. I won't be felling anything unless there's a problem. I mostly do pruning, and so far a pole saw and a recip saw have been fine.
I bought the Aldi battery one a couple of years ago with a 40V battery (have the angle grinder also). I found the chain saw to be a great bit of kit. Cut up a large Cherry tree stump easily and 8" boughs also. No where near as heavy as my petrol one. Angle grinder is also very good for light work but overload cut out stops it on heavy stuff

Parkside are doing a cordless chainsaw for £49.99 in the first week of April. I pondered it (I've got trees) and tried to look up reviews, but my school boy German wasn't up to the task of following the German videos I found. But I did notice that the general form factor, layout and controls are a nearly exact match for this Einhell from Wickes which sells for £109 (both prices don't include batteries). Batteries included, you can add another £25 for the Parkside and another £50 for the Einhell.

Anyone got one?

I'm actually umming and arring over whether I have a real use for it. I won't be felling anything unless there's a problem. I mostly do pruning, and so far a pole saw and a recip saw have been fine.
Most machinery are all adequate in China

Anyone got one?

Anyone got one?

Most machinery is made in the China.
Same company, a few cosmetic tweaks and a differant livery.
Just check cordless chainsaw in alibaba website and you will see the true cost of it, as bought by PARKSIDE, EINHELL, WICKES, SCREWFIX et all.

Makita make an excellent battery chainsaw. Thinking of getting the Lidl one for use to cut up deadfall for the woodstove, should be able to handle that OK. The blurb does say only 20 min of use with the 20v 4Ah btty.

Having used a (petrol) chainsaw quite a lot I can't image a battery one being any use at all - the saws need some real power to cut anything more than twigs - even the corded ones (I tried a B&D, took it back) aren't much good.

Not anymore mate. I have a makita 18v top handle and it really does do the business on most stuff up to 8” dia. That’s not to say it will equal a good quality small in power but the gap is closing fast, also no fumes, and a lot less vibration. Won’t be long until these leccy saws really challenge the 2 strokes. I use petrol power heads every week including ms661 so know a fair bit when it comes to saws.

We have a small area of woodland so I could often use a chainsaw, but I don't have one. Being a devout coward I have avoided them on the basis that I don't know what I am doing and they look dangerous enough to do real harm. On the other hand for some reason a battery chainsaw, battery does not seem to scare me as much. On the assumption that this is a false view I have avoided getting one, but what is the truth? Is a battery saw likely to be more or less dangerous than a petrol saw? Or is there no difference in risk?

We have a small area of woodland so I could often use a chainsaw, but I don't have one. Being a devout coward I have avoided them on the basis that I don't know what I am doing and they look dangerous enough to do real harm. On the other hand for some reason a battery chainsaw, battery does not seem to scare me as much. On the assumption that this is a false view I have avoided getting one, but what is the truth? Is a battery saw likely to be more or less dangerous than a petrol saw? Or is there no difference in risk?
A petrol tool is live as long as the engine is on, conviniently this is noisy and vibrates so you know when it is dangerous. A battery tool is live as long as a charged battery is connected, which sits there silently, waiting for you to get complacent and start fiddling with the trigger

Ive got a DeWalt 20v battery chainsaw (a proper 12" one, not the baby little ones like the Amazon/Aliexpress stuff) and having owned both petrol and now the electric- I can say I much prefer the electric- its quiet, doesn't bog down like the twostrokes and is surprisingly powerful for its size and weight (thats probably the thing I love about it most- lightweight and no vibrations leaving your hands numb after a while)

Batteries aren't a major consideration for me, as all my stuff is Dewalt and as a tradie, I got um....7, 8, something like that batteries and a twin fast charger and a single fast charger, as each battery lasts about 20 min of HEAVY cutting, I can just keep swapping and charging should I feel the need to decimate a forest....

I was also impressed by its ability to handle a very large downed tree on my driveway- I thought for sure I'd need to get the big Farmboss out- but it actually successfully cut through a well over 12" tree- had to come at it from various angles, as the blade was too short for a single cut, but it did it, and quite comfortably- to tell the truth I suspect the Farmboss, despite its longer cut, wouldn't have handled it as well- but it is rather old and tired now, hence the new electric one
(I got sick of having to spend a half hour every time cleaning the plug, and general multiple attempts at starting it, and I don't need as much cutting as I used to, hence the electric- just plug in a battery and start cutting...)
Plus my 'fuel' costs are zero (offgrid solar)- so my chainsaw is 'technically' solar powered from the house bank batteries
;-)

Back