More Parkside rubbish! This time, a cordless chainsaw that's actually an Einhell

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pallet Fancier

Established Member
Reaction score
Parkside are doing a cordless chainsaw for £49.99 in the first week of April. I pondered it (I've got trees) and tried to look up reviews, but my school boy German wasn't up to the task of following the German videos I found. But I did notice that the general form factor, layout and controls are a nearly exact match for this Einhell from Wickes which sells for £109 (both prices don't include batteries). Batteries included, you can add another £25 for the Parkside and another £50 for the Einhell.

Anyone got one?

I'm actually umming and arring over whether I have a real use for it. I won't be felling anything unless there's a problem. I mostly do pruning, and so far a pole saw and a recip saw have been fine.

Just looked battery not included charger not included so thats an extra £35 or £45 depending on which charger you buy.
The batteries are only 4ah so wont last long running a chain saw.
I would give it a miss - be handy though but........................ nah

Having used a (petrol) chainsaw quite a lot I can't image a battery one being any use at all - the saws need some real power to cut anything more than twigs - even the corded ones (I tried a B&D, took it back) aren't much good.

The battery Husqvarna I use from time to time was the same price as an equivalent petrol model - I think at that price it may be a workshop ornament.

Avoid. I have battery chainsaws. One uses the pro Stihl system and is very good but it uses a seriously big, heavy duty battery. The other is a Greenworks 40v that I use off a rolling scaffolding tower for cutting thick hedge branches. It's pretty good with a 12" or 14" blade as I recall, but you need to be aware that it runs MUCH slower on the chain than a petrol saw - kind of chugs along. Same battery also powers a hedge trimmer that I use a lot.

You need oomph.

I could be tempted by one to keep in my landrover. I've come across trees fallen in the lanes around here a few times. Once I did have a saw with me so was able to cut it and pull it to the side the other two times I had a long reverse down a single track lane.

Having used a (petrol) chainsaw quite a lot I can't image a battery one being any use at all - the saws need some real power to cut anything more than twigs - even the corded ones (I tried a B&D, took it back) aren't much good.
Not so these days, the battery tech has come on in leaps and bounds in recent years and there are very decent battery chainsaws out there now, although often more expensive than the petrol equivalents !

I bought the smallest, lightest Stihl one to use in hazel coppicing where being able to pick it up and use instantly without having to start it up or leave it running is a big advantage as is reduced noise and exhaust fumes. Having got it primarily for that task I find myself using it for loads more woodland work from snedding felled trees to logging up firewood. I hardly ever bother to break out my huskie petrol saws these days unless doing particularly heavy or demanding work, but for probably something like 80% of the time the battery saw gets used.

No idea about the parkside one in particular, but would suggest that folk shouldn't be immediately dismissive of the cordless chainsaws available these days :)

Parkside are doing a cordless chainsaw for £49.99 in the first week of April
This sort of advert just goes straight over my head, I know that this is roughly the price for just a new chain and bar for a 14 inch chainsaw so why waste your money on something that is just going to be a bad impersonation of the real thing.

My 2p worth:

If you don't know whether you need it, I wouldn't bother. It isn't just the saw that clutters up the place, but you need some chain oil, a method of sharpening, decent PPE, and it all takes up space. If you find your current kit lacking, I would look at a silky saw for the occasional use that you suggest.

If and when a chainsaw is appropriate, I would look at the best tool for the job rather than what is cheap. I have some Stihl battery kit, on the AK battery system rather than the professional. It is good for my leaf blower and strimmer for what I need but I think that when I need a chainsaw I will go for a petrol one despite the good reviews of their battery version. I also have a Bosch electric one that is a few years old. It may do what you need of it but I wouldn't buy the same again. The power cord is a nuisance and performance wise it struggles with logs. Branches are generally ok, up to 3". It will do more, in the same way that a 10tpi bandsaw blade will cut 4" hardwood, but it isn't the correct tool for the job.

Not so these days, the battery tech has come on in leaps and bounds in recent years and there are very decent battery chainsaws out there now, although often more expensive than the petrol equivalents !

I bought the smallest, lightest Stihl one to use in hazel coppicing where being able to pick it up and use instantly without having to start it up or leave it running is a big advantage as is reduced noise and exhaust fumes. Having got it primarily for that task I find myself using it for loads more woodland work from snedding felled trees to logging up firewood. I hardly ever bother to break out my huskie petrol saws these days unless doing particularly heavy or demanding work, but for probably something like 80% of the time the battery saw gets used.

No idea about the parkside one in particular, but would suggest that folk shouldn't be immediately dismissive of the cordless chainsaws available these days :)

Which model do you use Paul?

i use a titan petrol one, and have got the pole pruner. both good for the money.

on a differnt note, whats the heat gun like?

The good saws in the us with some power and battery capacity are at least $600 or so. Most of the cheap battery powered saws are slow and drain their batteries quickly.

I had a petrol einhell chainsaw and strimmer, both absolutely rubbish, I sent them back fpor repair under garantee but they broke again within a week or two, don't waste your money.

Which model do you use Paul?

MSA 120, sales guy tried to get me to go further up the range for a bigger bar and more power etc but I specifically wanted light and manoeuvrable for the overstood hazel coppicing rather than duplicating the bigger petrol saws I already have.

That pile of 8 to 12" beech in the background I actually ringed up for firewood with it too as I had it with me and the petrol saw was at home, wouldn't recommend it for that, was a bit slow, but still did it eventually ! But certainly a capable and useful tool, always in the back of the car just in case needed. I have two batteries for it and generally that's more than enough for what I tend to do in a day, often just the one suffices unless I'm particularly keen and energetic !

20200101_121504.jpg

My 2p worth:

If you don't know whether you need it, I wouldn't bother. It isn't just the saw that clutters up the place, but you need some chain oil, a method of sharpening, decent PPE, and it all takes up space. If you find your current kit lacking, I would look at a silky saw for the occasional use that you suggest.

If and when a chainsaw is appropriate, I would look at the best tool for the job rather than what is cheap. I have some Stihl battery kit, on the AK battery system rather than the professional. It is good for my leaf blower and strimmer for what I need but I think that when I need a chainsaw I will go for a petrol one despite the good reviews of their battery version. I also have a Bosch electric one that is a few years old. It may do what you need of it but I wouldn't buy the same again. The power cord is a nuisance and performance wise it struggles with logs. Branches are generally ok, up to 3". It will do more, in the same way that a 10tpi bandsaw blade will cut 4" hardwood, but it isn't the correct tool for the job.

marcros, I'd urge you to have a look at the better cordless chainsaws. I have the Makita 36v, which works very well (and sets of batteries). Struggles on 12" wood, but that's not a surprise! Many pros are now using cordless chainsaws for lots of tasks. Stihl/Husqvarna are selling lots of them, from domestic to pro level.

OP, it's probably best to steer clear - as marcros says, don't buy a cheap chainsaw blindly - they are dangerous tools. Pull saws/ silky saws / bow saws are much safer, and take up less space.

If you’ve never used a Silky then I recommend you try one - its amazing what you can cut with surprisingly little effort. I have the small Pocket Boy Curve and it’ll go through branches 4 inches diameter no problem. Best bit it it folds up and goes into a pocket. I expect the bigger saws are just as capable.

Back