Parkside tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've a couple of Lidl tools, including a sliding mitre saw, and circular saw. Both see periods of very heavy use, but otherwise, pure DIY. They are both corded. Both a decent tools. Are Parkside tools rebadged Scheppach?

I had a great Parkside power screwdriver which I loved, but it packed in recently. The replacement from B&Q, Mac Allister, is slow as Christmas and doesn't seem to hold a charge as long as the parkside one did.

I'd be very reluctant to buy from Germany, for warranty reasons. Return post will cost as much as the tool!

*edit* I should add that the restraining clamp on the mitre saw broke off almost immediately - cheap cast alloy - and i never bothered to replace it. Seeing the "how not to use a mitre saw" thread has reminded me why it's important!
Tell me more. Which saw is it? How long has it lasted? Pros/cons?
I recently saw a parkside one where the depth stop had broken and been replaced. But looking at second hand mitre saws it’s rare to see one from any manufacturer with all its restraining clamps. It’s something I specifically look for. Part of the reason I’m veering towards new/cheap models that have a warranty. But if I’m honest the Bosch owners tend to keep their clamps - worth noting I guess.

Tell me more. Which saw is it? How long has it lasted? Pros/cons?

Parkside PZKS 2000 A1, 1700W, from 2018, so it's actually older than I thought! Still going strong. It is indeed manufactured by Sheppach.
Pros:
well, it was cheap,
it cuts, and
it's quite heavy.

I haven't even replaced the blade since I bought it. I should probably do that. I use it more for rapidly cutting things to length, like framing timbers etc. If I'm making a nice picture frame, I'll use a hand saw.

Cons;
The inbuilt laser is so far off it's funny.
The motor pulls a lot of power so using concurrently with domestic appliances causes trips
I'm not sure the inbuilt angle guides are bang on
Dust collection is naff
As I said, one of the two clamps broke, they were a bit rubbish anyway and quite fiddly.

I think all the 'cons' apply to many mitre saws. The worst thing was the power. I have power to my workshop now so the power issue is not an issue anymore, but did cause delays previously on DIY jobs. A laundry cycle can last 3 hours!!!

My circular saw is the Parkside PHKS 1350 C2, also from 2018, 1350W power. All the same pros and cons as the mitre saw, only it sucks down a bit less power so that's not an issue. It has a speed dial thingie and slow-start, both of which are good to have. Depth adjustment is quite finicky, and I have to reach over and pull the blade guard up, a otherwise it catches on the edge of whatever I'm cutting. I've used this for everything from cutting sheets down to size, to putting T&G on boards after I got fed up of the hand-me-down router I got off my dad.

hope this helps,

He
Parkside PZKS 2000 A1, 1700W, from 2018, so it's actually older than I thought! Still going strong. It is indeed manufactured by Sheppach.
Pros:
well, it was cheap,
it cuts, and
it's quite heavy.

I haven't even replaced the blade since I bought it. I should probably do that. I use it more for rapidly cutting things to length, like framing timbers etc. If I'm making a nice picture frame, I'll use a hand saw.

Cons;
The inbuilt laser is so far off it's funny.
The motor pulls a lot of power so using concurrently with domestic appliances causes trips
I'm not sure the inbuilt angle guides are bang on
Dust collection is naff
As I said, one of the two clamps broke, they were a bit rubbish anyway and quite fiddly.

I think all the 'cons' apply to many mitre saws. The worst thing was the power. I have power to my workshop now so the power issue is not an issue anymore, but did cause delays previously on DIY jobs. A laundry cycle can last 3 hours!!!

My circular saw is the Parkside PHKS 1350 C2, also from 2018, 1350W power. All the same pros and cons as the mitre saw, only it sucks down a bit less power so that's not an issue. It has a speed dial thingie and slow-start, both of which are good to have. Depth adjustment is quite finicky, and I have to reach over and pull the blade guard up, a otherwise it catches on the edge of whatever I'm cutting. I've used this for everything from cutting sheets down to size, to putting T&G on boards after I got fed up of the hand-me-down router I got off my dad.

hope this helps,
Helps a lot. Thanks.

Thanks. Their customer services put me on to kompernass. Can you buy direct from there? Have you done it before?

Yes, several of us have bought from Kompernass when we found out that they sell extra track for the Parkside Track (plunge) saw they sell (that can be joined with the supplied track to make longer ones) - at not a lot of money, sent direct from Kompernass Germany.

Contacting them via email was straightforward.

Quick update - for those who are wondering which way I went:
I discovered that Bosch sell refurbished products direct from their website. Refurbs come with a 1 year warranty instead of 3.
that means i can get the GCM8SJL for £200 instead of £300 and I still have the assurance that it’ll be covered by the warranty for the first year (when I’m building my shed).
so I’ve ordered one.
I won’t have the double bevel or 2-speeds of the parkside, but I’m not experienced enough to complain about that.
I saw a few on eBay but I don’t want a 110v machine and the warranty is quite important to me. With delivery and everything I’d have ended up paying over £200.
In terms of battery kit I’ve decided to follow advice and go slow - build on what I’ve got. I’m getting an impact driver from worx to match my worx hammer drill/batteries - which has been brilliant.

Now I just need to make one of those fancy flipping mitre saw stands!

Thanks for getting back to us, so many don't bother.
Interesting about the refurb stuff.
It's something to consider in future.

Glad you're sorted now, and like the others, thanks for the feedback.

All the best
I paid a lot of attention to what you all said and I always knew I’d update you. Ive managed to combine everyone’s thoughts too:
by spending less and sticking with what I’ve got I have freed up about £100. I will keep that and wait to see what Lidl throws my way.
I’m using Lidl as an ‘augmentation service’. Rather than the core of my tool set. If they have a bench top planer/thicknesser or that bench top sander they had last time which I passed on or even a cheap bandsaw, then I’ve got £100 ready.. those are all tools it would be lovely to try out but that I realistically won’t buy otherwise.

Latest posts

Back