More Parkside rubbish! This time, a cordless chainsaw that's actually an Einhell

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have a small area of woodland so I could often use a chainsaw, but I don't have one. Being a devout coward I have avoided them on the basis that I don't know what I am doing and they look dangerous enough to do real harm. On the other hand for some reason a battery chainsaw, battery does not seem to scare me as much. On the assumption that this is a false view I have avoided getting one, but what is the truth? Is a battery saw likely to be more or less dangerous than a petrol saw? Or is there no difference in risk?
Both are dangerous. There is an instant brake on the electric ones, it stops quickly. But when cutting it will do as much damage to you as a petrol one. Remember both need chain oil.
I have both, for bigger trees I prefer the petrol but the electric is nicer to use. Less noise and vibration.

We have a small area of woodland so I could often use a chainsaw, but I don't have one. Being a devout coward I have avoided them on the basis that I don't know what I am doing and they look dangerous enough to do real harm. On the other hand for some reason a battery chainsaw, battery does not seem to scare me as much. On the assumption that this is a false view I have avoided getting one, but what is the truth? Is a battery saw likely to be more or less dangerous than a petrol saw? Or is there no difference in risk?
Yes it’s safer. You can burn yourself on the exhaust of a petrol powered chainsaw. You can’t do that on a battery one. All the other risks are the same.
It might be easy to get more complacent with a battery tool as it doesn’t make as much noise and is lighter. The big danger enabler for a chainsaw is complacency.

I think that there is also an additional danger in that an electric chainsaw is perceptually more accessible to those without experience - the concept of add battery, pull trigger seems very simple - where a petrol one presents as a more temperamental / professional bit of kit which might put off those who are inexperienced...

other than exhaust burn, the dangers are no different - same spinning sharp bit / same ability to suffer kickback / same opportunities to climb ladders and fall off with a chainsaw in your hands / same ability to cut into legs / feet / arms / etc. - but put all of those risks into the hands of someone with less experience and the likelihood of occurrence has probably just risen significantly!

snip
other than exhaust burn, the dangers are no different - same spinning sharp bit / same ability to suffer kickback / same opportunities to climb ladders and fall off with a chainsaw in your hands / same ability to cut into legs / feet / arms / etc. - but put all of those risks into the hands of someone with less experience and the likelihood of occurrence has probably just risen significantly!
Yes, but thats true of any powertool really
It's up to the user to make sure they have the knowledge of what they are doing (the manufacturers can put warnings on the box and in the instruction manual- but so many don't even bother to open those....
Then it all comes down to the Darwin Awards....
(I got a mate who has only three 'stumpies' on his left hand- a proper trade qualified metalworker too- who lost them using a small electric screwdriver/small drill... In the big drill press at work he never held a piece of sheet metal by hand- was screwing in a bronze nameplate to his own letterbox and didn't think to use anything as it was only a 'cordless screwdriver'... still bit him bad though...)

Im pretty sure most injuries from saws are from the smaller ones. People get complacent using small/top handle/leccy saws, mentality being they are not as powerful, as they are light people do stupid things like use them one handed (admittedly top handles can be used one handed, but I would 100% not recommend this unless fully trained-only certified arborists can purchase these from a dealer anyway, but there are loopholes by buying online) I myself used to be guilty of this mentality.
Ultimately even an electric saw has many sharp teeth traveling at a rate of knots, there’s only one winner if they come into contact with your body.
Im far from one of those health and safety drama queens, but it really does worry me the amount of people using saws without any ppe or even any general knowledge of risks of kick back etc.
Saying the above, so long as you do your ‘homework’ on basic techniques and avoid bar nose contact, have the correct ppe, chainsaw boots/trousers/helmet/visor I’m sure any sensible person could cut already felled timber.....just leave the actual felling to someone competent(y)

Interesting replies on the risks of using chainsaws. However, I've seen nothing discussed here that doesn't apply equally to pretty much all spinning blades on power tools. I've seen some absolute idiots flinging circular saws around in ways that put them and their limbs at just as much risk! And the dozens of ways it's possible to mutilate yourself, or become impaled on flying offcuts, using a table saw could fill a book!

I wouldn't single out petrol powered chainsaws as being the work of the devil, but it seems in the popular mind they've acquired horns and a forked tail. But there are several tools with 2 strokes attached. My neighbour waves his 2 stroke petrol powered hedge trimmer, with its gnashing, overlapping blades, around with careless abandon... perhaps because he can't actually touch the blades himself. But that doesn't mean he won't touch some innocent passerby who picks the wrong moment to be on the other side of his hedge! Or his own wife and kids if they walk up behind him! Man's a menace with that thing...

And don't get me started on the numpties with the 2 stroke strimmers!

If your needs don't extend much beyond pruning overhead branches, you could always try a pole saw. A baby chainsaw on the end of a long stick! What could go wrong? 😃

Well, to be honest, not much. So long as you don't behave like the 2 stroke hedge trimmer pillock, you're more likely to embarrass yourself by getting it stuck. Just make sure you're wearing a hard hat because even small bits of branch coming down from two or three metres up can land with a thump! Take each branch down in sections, moving towards the base, and for anything thicker than 2 inches, make a relief cut on the opposite side, first... because getting the chain pinched is the surest way to add a long, ugly, hanging tree ornament to your woodland. Then you have to go and get a ladder, anyway...

(I got a mate who has only three 'stumpies' on his left hand- a proper trade qualified metalworker too- who lost them using a small electric screwdriver/small drill... In the big drill press at work he never held a piece of sheet metal by hand- was screwing in a bronze nameplate to his own letterbox and didn't think to use anything as it was only a 'cordless screwdriver'... still bit him bad though...)

I'm struggling to visualise this. You mean he shaved his fingers off using a power drill? How? Did he have one of these in the chuck?

maxresdefault.jpg

Not knocking the Lidl saw as there are loads of low priced hobby chainsaws around but this end of the market is probably something to avoid as a single purchase for most people. By all means, if it's an addition to other saws and the appropriate associated PPE then I can see it to some extent and possibly even if it's just used to further trim fire logs on a horse (with PPE). However, limbing, trimming and felling trees, even small ones can be a dark art in understanding how the wood will respond to being cut. Cutting wood in situ will often release a lot of stress and kinetic energy and without knowing how it responds with experience, or at the very least expectation, is just going to bite you eventually. Yes I know there are plenty of people doing dumb stuff with chainsaws over their entire life with no protection and without a single scratch but that's akin to those people who point out their nan as a life long smoker who died of something else as a yard stick for smoking being safe.

A good chainsaw course is not just about the saw, it's more about how wood will react when you use it. They also act as a bit of a 'speed awareness' course as the dangers are hit home. PPE is not a nice-to-have, it's insurance against where those razor sharp teeth want to bury themselves when they bounce off the wood or when that limb springs back at you, or worse the saw, then you. Most of the injuries I have seen at every level from weekend warrior to pro arborist and felling crew has predominantly been with small light saws with relatively short bars. There is a reason some responsible chainsaw outlets won't sell top handle saws to non pro's.

I know this comes across as nanny-state fear mongering but if you're sat on the fence and don't know if you need a chainsaw I would wager you definitely don't need a chainsaw. If you need serious work doing then get a pro in, else as others have said then get a silky saw.

As for the general battery debate, I have to agree with many others on this thread, they make a lot of sense and should not be discounted. It's only a matter of time before battery chemistry catches up and surpasses the energy potential of petrol anyhow.

I'm struggling to visualise this. You mean he shaved his fingers off using a power drill? How? Did he have one of these in the chuck?

View attachment 107270
He was screwing a brass nameplate up to the front of his letterbox using selftappers- which were a bit too big for the holes in the nameplate- one bit into the name plate and spun it around with the bit as the self tapper bit in, and because he was holding it with his fingers, the edge of the nameplate just sliced the tops off three of his fingers
He never would hold a bit of sheet metal with his fingers in the drillpress, but just didn't think of it with just a 'screwdriver'...

An old favourite:

OSaP9.gif

Let's you know which bits of safety kit are important (hint: you may forgo the right glove, at your own risk, obviously)

Parkside are doing a cordless chainsaw for £49.99 in the first week of April. I pondered it (I've got trees) and tried to look up reviews, but my school boy German wasn't up to the task of following the German videos I found. But I did notice that the general form factor, layout and controls are a nearly exact match for this Einhell from Wickes which sells for £109 (both prices don't include batteries). Batteries included, you can add another £25 for the Parkside and another £50 for the Einhell.

Anyone got one?

I'm actually umming and arring over whether I have a real use for it. I won't be felling anything unless there's a problem. I mostly do pruning, and so far a pole saw and a recip saw have been fine.

Well I bought one thinking I can take it back if it’s rubbish, but to be honest it’s been one of the best purchases I’ve made this year and I’ve pruned all the apple trees on my neighbours side back for them, got loads of 🍎 🍏 🍎 for doing it as well and she insisted I took £20 to put to wards the saw so that worked out quite well, and I must say it did quite well you have to remember it says pruning saw, but saying that it did manage to cut some nice 6 inch circles for my owl woods I’m making once I’ve finished doing my Christmas trees, I used the battery that came with it the 2ah which did all the trees, but I have the the 4ah as well on stand by and didn’t need it, you have no reservoir but I kept it well oiled, and you do have to tighten the chain every now and again but it’s no hardship dousing that, also cut through some 4x4 for round garden beds with ease handy in the car for when I see some driftwood. I got the mini park side grinder about 4 years ago which is battery it’s been another good tool it cuts through nuts and bolts padlocks when we lost the shed keys it has also got a blade for cutting through wood and I bought the Bosch diamond blade for tiling, in fact a couple of weeks ago they were doing just the body, and I bought it for a spare, as I’ve got the battery and chargers for the park side tools, they were even doing the diamond blades so I got 3of them as well the were £3.99 each the Bosch I bought was about £13.99 and they seem just as good, and the mini grinder as been a life saver to me the park side corded reciprocated saw another good purchase, I know it’s cheap but if you are not use ing them as at trade level I can’t see what’s wrong with them, in fact I’ve many a good trade tool even my metabo hammer drill went to the knackers yard, so it’s a matter of you pays your money you makes your choice.
And my Grandad used to say, never criticise a man till you’ve walked a mile in his shoes, and then you are a mile away, you can say what you want, because you’ve got his shoes so he can’t catch you.

Back