Oak bed design/construction...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldeneyedmonkey

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello folks,

So, basically I am after suggestions on the construction of an oak bed I will be making. I would rather use traditional joinery methods such as a mortice and tenon to connect the rails to the head and foot.

So I was thinking about a drawbored mortice and tenon, but with a metal pin (something similar to what I've seen used in oak framing, when they are doing a dry fit). But with the pin inserted from the inside so will not be visible after the mattress is added.

Possibly have the hole drilled carrying straight through with a contrasting dowel added on the outside face. The head and foot are going to have a contrasting panel of sycamore floating in the centre, as the design stands.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. I don't do this sort of stuff often, so any worthy tips please feel free to comment.

TIA _Dan.

If you are going to be using metal dowels, get the "Extractable" ones. They have a threaded hole in one end, and with a bolt/slide hammer, will come out easily.

Bod

John Bullar did a very nice arts and crafts style bed in one his books.

Just thinking out loud, but are mortice and tenons to connect the rails to the head and foot a good idea?

If you have to move the bed, then it’s going to be hard work, especially if you change rooms. I also don’t think a ridged construction for something like a bed, is a good idea. All the (hopefully) stresses and strains will cause problems in time.

By all means construct the head and foot boards by traditional joinery, but I would bolt on the rails.

Thanks for the links, will have a gander properly later. Love a good woodworking series :D

Well, this is it, I was thinking about it being disassembled, that was the idea behind the removable pins to hold the tenon tight, I wasn't thinking about using any adhesive. I was thinking about having quite generous sized posts so as to fit in both a tenon from the rail and the one that makes up the footboard/ headboard. Although this might be a bit too busy. Hence me asking.

If I have to I will use the bolts/ brackets that are frequently used. I just fancied doing it another way if possible. It may well be a LOT simpler just to whack on a bracket mind.

Cheers _Dan.

you could use crazy japanese joints that use a wedge, just an idea, instead of the bolts, there's no reason why it wouldn't work, they use it to take apart and put together entire buildings.

That second link i posted is exactly that, japanese joints with a removable wedge...

7defb3d95c3eabd3cfa5c76d592812a5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've recently made 3 beds
2 in oak one in black walnut
First one was for me and wife and others for daughters after they had seen ours
I used a 700 domino with the knock down fixings fro the rail to head and foot boards
Nothing visible at all on the outside just a small cover on the inside hiding a Allen screw
Very stable and seems to stand up to normal bed action !!

You welcome to use it if you want to and don't have a domino as I'm only 20 miles from you

Ian

Back