Nut

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roggatismus

Established Member
Reaction score
hey guys

sorry i haven't been on much, been busy at boarding school where they don't allow picture posting on forums, which is criminal but what can you do

my kindly dt teacher has given me a nut. it is long and big and has holes in it. i tried googling it, but that only works if you know what its called!

any ideas?

once i finish my exams i will get started on some bits of yew that i found in the woods at my school

thanks

roger

THATS THE ONE!

i have been racking my brains for that for ages!

what things are nice to make from that?[/code]

roggatismus":2um5s8ml said:
THATS THE ONE!

i have been racking my brains for that for ages!

what things are nice to make from that?[/code]

Dust and fluff :lol:

It is a realy messy thing to turn but you can make small boxes, hollow forms, 2 eggcups etc from it. Make sure that you are wearing face protection as once past the fluff the nut itself can come off in very sharp little pieces.

Pete

I have a doc somewhere,

Its a box from a banksia, then the seed holes on the outside were filled with pewter.

Looks very cool.

Loz

Thats the very fella Rog !

This beast !
BANKSIA_l.jpg

I haven't 'done one' ... but apparently bits fly out the holes and try to slice you to death, then.. once the little blighter decides to 'make a break for freedom' from whatever tenuous clutches your lathe equipment has on it .. it'll fly off, latch itself onto your clothing, and try and run up the front of you in a final attempt to 'wreak its revenge' on you for trying to gouge it !

One of nature's ways of 'having a laugh at woodturners' as far as I hear !

Good luck with it ... let us see a pic of what you do with the little devil
:wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bodrighy":3owvmj2j said:
Make sure that you are wearing face protection as once past the fluff the nut itself can come off in very sharp little pieces.

Pete

also note that some people are allergic to the dust and fluff so you want full dust protection, long sleeves, and either latex gloves or barrier cream (note not normal gloves as you dont want to risk getting your glove caught on the spinny bit)

as well as all that, aren't they ugly little things? I've yet to see something attractive turned out of one.

Sell it on eBay ;)

mmm as much as I am a fan of Cindy's work, and it is on the nicer side of ugly, I still can't get excited about them.

I'm going to shut up before I get hailed a heretic and stoned... ;)

I have one sat in the workshop. I could swear it growls at me when I go in! :(

You do need your skin covering in my experience! those nasty little hairs make you itch for England! and the bits that fly are sharp.

Having said that, I enjoy doing them once you have got covered up and got it safely fixed on. they are very different and pleasing to the eye.

Good luck with it. :D

That's a superb bit of turning and assembly but not, IMHO, 'attractive'. But, as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Richard

Back